How to Make a Good Fake Video Game

Time was when video gamers could reliably roll their eyes at the next representation of their hobby in film or television. Those of us who came of age alongside games in the 1980s and 1990s saw a wider world of media repeatedly befuddled by and mishandling every aspect of gaming, from how a controller was held to the inner workings of the internet. Thankfully, times are changing, and as more people who understand gaming have a chance to make media about it, games are gradually being given both a more faithful and a far more mature treatment.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/88a8gk/how-to-make-a-good-fake-video-game
1 Like

The most touching video game representation I’ve ever seen in a movie is in Reign Over Me. Adam Sandler is a man depressed from the loss of his family in the 9-11 attack. In scenes at his home, he’s shown playing Shadow of the Colossus. Broke my heart.

4 Likes

The best fake video game is Godfall. I will be taking no further questions.

3 Likes

As mentioned in the article, I think a huge part of this is that people who are making art now grew up with video games and often have anything ranging from a relative familiarity to an intimate history with them. I remember being surprised at the representation of games in Her, and seeing real game designers had worked on them.

Also shout out to Petscop for being the actual best fake video game.

I hadn’t heard of Room 104. It sounds like something I would enjoy; I’ll have to check it out!

1 Like