How 'Total War: Troy' Tells the Story of the Trojan War Without the Myth

Total War: Troy will attempt to split the difference between Homeric myth and Bronze Age history, taking the poetic and mythic license of Greek literature and portraying a plausible underlying reality that might be the source for the metaphor. So in the battle I played during for a video conference press session with the team from Creative Assembly’s Sofia studio, the Minotaur is not a half-bull giant, but a Burly Lad wearing a bull’s skull who can go crashing through enemy lines and scaring the hell out of everyone around him. Achilles is not an invulnerable demi-god whose skin was washed in the waters of the Styx, but a preternaturally, heroically skilled warrior.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/y3zvj7/total-war-troy-hands-on-preview
1 Like

When the game was announced I just assumed there were going to use the generals and duel systems from Three Kingdoms. Homeric myth is about as close to Wuxia as you get in the western cannon. The Iliad is filled depictions of heroes possessed by god going on rampages where they kill dozens. Conflicts are driven by personal grievances as much as politics. It’s disappointing that they didn’t do that. I would have loved for Achilles to be nearly invincible like Lu Bu in Three Kingdoms.

1 Like

Do not pursue Swift-Footed Achilleus.

2 Likes

I guess this is the de facto podcast thread?

I got so into mahjong when I was playing Yakuza 0. It had been a point of embarrassment for me for a long time that I (Asian) didn’t know how to play. Now I know how to play riichi mahjong, which has different rules from what my family plays. Oh well.

I hope Rob comes back to talk about the Telltale Batmen. I recently went back to play through all the Telltale games I missed and Batman S1 and S2 were among the better ones. The way they play the Joker story out completely blind-sided me. I played through S1 and part of S2 assuming that Joker/John Doe was just pulling my leg or pretending to be naive and he’d reveal that he was the Joker all along. I would mostly humor him and play up the friendship angle between John and Bruce as much as I could. By the time I realized that there really wasn’t going to be a Joker reveal, I felt invested in the actual friendship between them and kept trying to finesse the story, guiding John toward a better path, and was sad that there was no way to keep him from going Joker. They kinda wrote themselves into a corner at the end of S2 though…

2 Likes