How Valve’s Long-Standing Embrace of Linux Is Helping Games Run Better

The Steam Deck is an impressive piece of hardware, a gaming laptop in a functional and enjoyable portable form, but it’s not a high-end PC, and it wouldn’t be shocking that many modern games would struggle to run on it. It was surprising, then, to learn that not only did Elden Ring run pretty well on the Steam Deck right out of the box, but Valve had been personally working on optimizing Elden Ring for the Steam Deck, helping it run even better.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/5dg4ab/how-valves-long-standing-embrace-of-linux-is-helping-games-run-better

At long last we might be approaching that fabled epoch: the year of Linux on desktop.

1 Like

I used Ubuntu for years at a previous job, it’s honestly great and the only reason I don’t use it at home is my PC is primarily for gaming. I would welcome the chance to rm -f Windows from my life.

1 Like

I do run Linux Mint (so, almost Ubuntu) on my home desktop, and it is used for gaming .
This does slightly restrict my choices,but not that much anymore - Steam’s Proton is super good as a compatibility layer now, and most of the remaining issues are with copy-protection rootkit nonsense that would stop me buying the game anyway .
Obviously ,YMMV, of course, and this definitely isn’t for everyone .

I have an Ubuntu install that I frequently boot up, primarily to test the game I’m working on. After some initial headaches I think it’s not actually much harder or less convenient to get things done with it than with Windows if one has no prior experience with either. The main difference for me is what you need to do when something doesn’t work right.

In Windows there are 4-ish levels of difficulty:

1. Trivial to fix, e.g. with a troubleshooter.
  2. Not trivial to fix, but only because they renamed all the frickin menus again.
  3. Kind of tricky (e.g. requires editing the registry) but you can do it with some googling. The biggest hurdle is knowing what to search for.
  4. lmao get rekt

With Linux it’s almost always a constant 3 :smiley:

I really like Linux on paper and I’m liking actually using it more and more as time goes. While I don’t anticipate ditching Windows for my gaming computer I could imagine eventually switching my work computer primarily to Linux and only booting into Windows when I need to.

4 Likes

I like Linux for my programming work, but I use Windows for most recreational stuff. Most commercial programs are just better supported on Windows.Nothing to do with Linux being inferior, it’s just the way it is.

2 Likes

Linux is great just never make the cardinal sin of trying to convert family members. Even if all they do is use the web browser they will find ways to blame Linux on all of their issues including performance of the wifi despite it being a 10+ year old prebuilt desktop with no antenna.

4 Likes