After expertly trolling their most… vocal of fans (whether it was intentional or not doesn’t matter), I fully expected no Nintendo Directs until February.
Instead we got some damn cool stuff for a third-party focused Switch presentation.
- The iOS version of TWEWY is coming to Switch. Never was a fan of this version, but more people getting to play it is cool.
- Blastoise and Aegislash announced for Pokken, along with a handful of support Pokemon.
- Kirby Star Allies is out on March 16th
- Dragon Quest Builders demo today. I’m still going to pass on this in favour of waiting for the sequel, but I’ll pick the demo up just to mess around with it.
- Hyrule Warriors is the newest Wii U game coming out on Switch. It includes all the 3DS stuff, too.
- Mario Tennis Aces announced for Switch. First game to have a story mode since the GBA game, but none of those cool Camelot characters are in sight… Pretty much means that Wii U Mario Tennis game isn’t going to be ported.
- Just in time for the retranslation to hit, Ys VIII is announced for Switch. Now I’m glad I didn’t find a good deal on the PS4 version on Boxing Day. Hopefully this version is better than the Vita version, which was apparently a framey mess. Gonna have to wait for Summer to find out I guess.
- Super Mario Odyssey free DLC includes new outfits, filters for photo mode, and… an online hide & seek mode? Ok…
- SNK Heroines: Tag Team Frenzy is a new SNK fighting game featuring characters from King of Fighters. I was kind of super on board with this game until I saw some of the outfits… a lot more DoA Extreme than Final Fantasy X-2 unfortunately.
- DK in Mario + Rabbids this Spring. I guess I should wait to play it until then?
- Payday 2 I guess.
- Fe is coming to Switch on February 16th. Has HD Rumble support, an underutilized and underappreciated feature of the Switch.
- Celeste continues to look amazing. Out on January 25th- Wait that Soon!?!
- Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze is the other Wii U game heading to Switch, which is great because I think a lot of people overlooked this one. It’s out on May 4th and they added Funky Kong as a new playable character, who is kinda like an easier character that combines all three of the powers you get? And he can roll/swim forever? At any rate, speedruns are gonna be interesting with this character…
- Dark Souls Remastered on Switch. Just an “HD” version of Dark Souls available on Switch as well as the other consoles. Namco says it will be 30 fps on Switch and 1080p docked, 720p portable. Not too exciting on its own, but portable Dark Souls will be a tempting offer for a lot of people.