I Hate Grinding, But I Can't Stop in 'Monster Hunter: World'

Long before becoming a parent, I’d written exhaustively about my contempt for games that waste time. There’s nothing impressive about a game requiring dozens of hours to complete if you spend most of it doing things that aren’t worthwhile. I understand why people view time as value, but not me. I used to spend summer vacations grinding Final Fantasy characters to level 99, but these days, the idea puts me to sleep.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/d3wywa/i-hate-grinding-but-i-cant-stop-in-monster-hunter-world

I saw this mentioned by somebody else, but I think the reason why MH’s grind feels so much better and different is that it pretty much always lets you grind for the exact thing you want to use. My main point of reference for games like this is Destiny, and that was always super frustrating because you were always at the mercy of RNG for basically anything you really wanted.

In MHW, if I want a nergigante weapon I know I need to go farm him and Xeno’jiva and know the exact parts I need to focus on to get the rarer materials. You can pretty much always get the exact thing you want and you always know how to work towards it rather than something like Destiny where you get five Riskrunners before your first Orpheus Rig.

This. Having direct pathways to focus on specific parts means I can always make forward progress on something. Nothing felt worse in Destiny than running a Nightfall/Raid and coming away with none of the items I was aiming to actually get. And this game can give you those more direct routes without worrying about giving you things too quickly because THERE ARE SO MANY ARMOR AND WEAPONS TO CRAFT AND UPGRADE!

What makes the grind different in MH is the fact that you can find the items you need in pretty clear places, a few items you can make from other ways, and you have a fun combat system to work with instead of the slow turn-base systems (Unless those turn base systems are layered by faster or unique battle systems). Yesterday I was 3 hours in on Bazelgeuse quests just to get 1 gem. However, it was a fun fight with how Bazelgeuse unique dive bombing and explosive attacks are and it put my new bow skills to the test to the point where I was chopping tails from afar.
We had a thread on the topic on grinding awhile back.

Glad you are enjoying it. I’ve been a Monster Hunter fan for many, many years.

The grind is real, but you always have a target and at the end- you get exactly what you want. The only items I have had frustrate me are the decorations. They are pretty random, but I have stockpiled a fair collection for different builds. Best of luck in that Fang, right now, a Doara Gem is stopping me from my dream build, but I can craft one after completing the next set of weekly quests!

I’m very much like Patrick when it comes to games respecting my time, and that’s precisely why I’ve had trouble getting back into the series. After putting >200 hours on 3U (and another good amount on Tri and Freedom 2), I just couldn’t go back to the pedestrian gathering missions of MH4U and Generations.

Since I wasn’t learning new stuff every couple of hours, my level of engagement dropped off a cliff. What’s more, the new monsters, while interesting, were way too easy. I didn’t encounter a wall like Barroth (and, later, Barioth) because I knew what I was doing now, so the sense of accomplishment after each hunt was much more mild. I ended up dropping 4U after 20-25 hours of forcing myself through Low Rank, and I dropped Generations even faster. I’m sure the fact that they looked worse than its predecessor didn’t help either.

Still, it seems Monster Hunter World might improve upon its predecessors enough to draw me back in. If I haven’t bitten the bullet yet is only because I’m holding for a new game on Switch that carries over World’s QoL improvements. I need my MonHun on the go.

So, newcomers to the series: enjoy the ride while it lasts and don’t feel bad about skipping entries if Capcom decides to keep the annual release schedule they had on PSP and 3DS. It can get tiresome to start from scratch again.

That concept of having a bit of time and getting a single hunt in was the reason why MonHun always worked so well on mobile platforms. I’ve played so many hours of Freedom Unite and 3G just doing one quest at a time during bus rides to and from work.

I experienced the exact same thing as you when I played MH4 (dropped it after 20ish hours in, not even finishing LR), but I attributed mostly to the awful form factor of the 3DS. Though I do agree that the slow start got on my nerves as well, I had already sunk almost 200 hours on 3G, and my patience for the 3DS’s control was wearing thin.

MHW does speed up that initial loop a little, though it drops the ball by focusing so much on the story aspect of it. At least now gathering stuff is faster than ever! You don’t even need to stand still for most of the basic stuff. I probably spent the least amount of time gathering in MHW than ever before. I do wish they allowed you to skip the cutscenes, though, those got into my nerves a bit. Also, the rollout of base features and monsters seemed a bit slow, as well. Here’s to hoping they release G rank either as an expansion or, at the very least, they allow you to import your character.

It helps with grind systems if you can be super clear about where to get the items you want and you know that you’ll usually what you need in a few runs.

Opposed to systems where item drops are one part consulting a wiki on where to get them and another battling with a hateful RNG system where the odds are so low you don’t feel like you’re making progress.

Yeah, the limitations of the 3DS were a big factor, for sure. From what you mention, it does sound like Capcom addressed this issue in MHW. I had no idea, so thanks for putting me up to speed. It’s bad that I’m more tempted than ever to pick it up now though.