I have Developmental coordination disorder, Can I play PSVr with that?

I just want some advice about this.

For those who don’t know what it is. It is a chronic neurological disorder beginning in childhood. It is also known to affect planning of movements and co-ordination as a result of brain messages not being accurately transmitted to the body. Impairments in skilled motor movements per a child’s chronological age interfere with activities of daily living.

With a cursory Google search, I saw that some research is being done to see if VR can be used to help with this condition. So my uninformed guess is it should be okay?

I’d recommend checking out more specialized forums (e.g. this subeddit for PSVR, this subeddit this [subreddit] for VR in general, or this subreddit for gaming with disabilities)

Better yet, I recollect stores like GameStop and Best Buy actually setting up demos for VR, and even specifically PSVR. If you can find one near you with demos, that would probably be the best to see for yourself.

Good luck!

2 Likes

You can actually use the Xbox Adaptive Controller on PS4 (and by extension, PSVR). The initial setup looks a little convoluted but it might be worth the effort if you only have access to the PS4 for VR gaming. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

As someone who isn’t an expert, this is what I’m inclined to recommend unless someone can weigh in with more specifics. Ultimately, you know you best and it can be hard to give medical guidance over the Internet (see: anywhere that has ever tried to do that).

As someone with dyspraxia (which I believe is also sometimes called developmental coordination disorder), I’ve played Job Simulator at a demo set up and had a good time. I did need to be quite mindful about the space around me; I can imagine a high-pressure game or something trying to demand precise coordination being more-or-less unplayable, but I was at least able to be in the ring.

It did have some lingering after-effects which potentially were dyspraxia-related around coordination and manipulating objects – it didn’t take long for my brain to want to adapt to opening doors in VR…

(There’s a shop in the city near me that is just focused on being a VR setup pad, it’s pretty cool.)

1 Like

Tangentially related (as I don’t have any neurological disorders) but that’s been my experience, as well. I thought being in VR would require an adjustment, but what I didn’t expect was how easy it is to forget that I’m not in VR anymore.