Figured some of you might find this interesting. A conversation with Nate Wells:
It’s an interview with Nate Wells–an Artist who work on (Thief 1, System Shock 2, SWAT 4, Bioshock Infinite, The Last of Us, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Edith Finch, System Shock 3)–and a very broad range of topics are covered. The video has a detailed index in the description so it’s easy to hop around.
- Went to high school with Chris Barrett (Game Director, Destiny 2)
- Talks about Irrational Games’ unpublished first console game, The Lost.
- Creating a spiritual successor to System Shock: Bioshock.
- SWAT 4 - Making a game inspired by David Fincher.
- Leaving Irrational Games 6 months before Infinite shipped. Why?
- Joining Naughty Dog to work on The Last of Us with 1 year left to develop it.
- Ego-less development.
- and much much more.
I originally conducted this interview a the day before TLoU launched (back in 2013) and wrote it up on my old blog. This is the first time the audio is being published. I love this interview, but would love to hear your thoughts.
Let me know what you think!