I just want to BE in Star Wars

I recently found this Star Wars Lofi playlist:

And it’s really highlighted how much I’ve been craving a game that just lets you be inside a Star Wars world at your own pace, and that isn’t highly gameified.

There’s plenty of games where you can blow shit up in Star Wars environments, but none where you can have chill exploration moments. I am looking forward to eventually getting Squadrons, I like the call back to the old X-wing games where the menus are environments. I miss that shit.

Maybe TOR or Fallen Order fulfill it so some degree too - but I’m thinking more of a proper RPG like KOTOR, where there are actual hubs that feel like living, breathing places.

I too want to be inside a Coruscant skyscraper watching the rain fall as the hovercars fly by. Or exploring the backstreets of Nar Shadaa again, or the plains of Alderaan, or checking in on the Gungans on Otoh Gunga, or hell, even wandering the streets of Mos Eisely for the millionth time.

Please, someone, make a good Star Wars RPG again.

7 Likes

Y’know what was great? Yoda Stories. It wasn’t a well reviewed game, it’s a procedurally generated adventure where you take Luke Skywalker around the galaxy doing fetch quests as Yoda’s padawan. It was some good, Star Wars exploring-ass shit. But yeah, gimme a new Star Wars RPG.

Relatedly, that Korean ratings board certifying Mass Effect remastered better be for real or I’m gonna lose it. If I can’t get Star Wars at least give me its offbrand, Canadian equivalent.

7 Likes

Wasn’t that what Star Wars Galaxies was? Like, you could become a Jedi if you went through a long and arduous quest, but you could also just be a Bith who rocked out at a cantina and that was the thing you did? Am I remembering that correctly?

5 Likes

Four words: Star Wars dating sim!

Or like some sort of very mood building VN… Timothy Zahn Michael Stackpole authored Rebel pilot dating sim VN.

3 Likes

I have found that the thing that I like about Star Wars is far less anything to do with the lore, characters, or story, and almost entirely has to do with how much I like the art assets. Which I think is partially why I like The Mandalorian significantly more than any of the reboot trilogy.

Which is all to say, the thing I want out of a Star Wars game looks a lot more like an open-world where I can just kind of wander around and do stuff than an MMO or a “prestige” video game.

7 Likes

A Ubisoft Tower Game with Star Wars backdrop could be really fun. I’d love something Mario Odyssey style with a bunch of different (ideally larger) planetary environments that are all open. But this is a nice prompt. I’ve never really considered a Star Wars game in this manner.

I did play a bit of Kotor a few years ago and was kind of in awe of the feeling of, as you described, simply inhabiting a big Star Wars planet I’d never heard of before. Didn’t ever get past the first city because playing it on a tablet sucked, but I’m going to go through it proper someday soon. Guess Fallen Order is a bit too hyperactive to scratch this itch?

3 Likes

Yeah, there’s no real space to exist in a populated Star Wars world in Fallen Order. Everybody and everything instantly wants to murder you.

3 Likes

Let me romance Dexter Jettster dammit.

8 Likes

I haven’t played it myself, but I understand that this is correct. I should mention that there are ways to still play this game, and it’s not too hard to find them.

1 Like

Taris, the first major city in KOTOR is fucking great because it does bring you down to the level of an ordinary citizen in Star Wars. Of course you have a mission and can kill pretty much everything but I was absolutely blown away by the fact that I was walking around a city full of not-stormtroopers and they weren’t attacking me. It does so much to create the feeling of a more tangible space when even the bad guys aren’t noticing you yet.

6 Likes

Piloting the Tie Reaper in Squadrons, specifically in VR as it allows you to look around the cockpit which is more spacious than the other craft, kind of made me want a Star Wars version of Elite Dangerous. Just trucking around the galaxy delivering goods legally/illegally inbetween cantinas. Is it day? Is it night? Who cares, just having some downtime in a cantina before I go back up to space and fly casual inbetween Star Destroyer checkpoints.

2 Likes

Star Wars Death Stranding

Seriously though a Star Wars game where you’re helping to reestablish trading routes after the Battle of Yavin or establishing smuggling routes under the nose of the Empire would be so cool. It could be limited to one planet (Tattooine???) or across a system.

8 Likes

This is a great idea. You play a Youth with dreams of becoming a legendary smuggler/space pirate.

Take up a job that implies some form of smuggling. But is actually hand delivering precious cargo through a wild and barren no man’s land full of sand swamps, where not even the Imperials patrol. If the quicksand doesn’t get you, the hungry dianogas will!

Have no one speak English either.

3 Likes

A fully voice-acted Star Wars RPG but there are no humans in the whole thing so everyone’s just speaking weird alien languages the whole time.

2 Likes

Give me KOTOR3 or give me death

4 Likes

do people feel like KOTOR generally holds up? i haven’t played it since the week it originally came out.

Give me KOTOR 3 as an immersive sim made by Arkane.

5 Likes

I’ve basically replayed either KotOR 1 or 2 every year since their releases and enjoy the heck out of them whenever I do. Played them on Xbox, PC, and iOS and they work well in any format.

Lots of unintentional loops of conversations and really dated combat in Kotor2 but the story holds up, imo.

2 Likes

I’m glad I’m not the only one feeling this way!

Star Wars Galaxies was both great and a major disappointment. I followed it literally from the first week it was announced, and unfortunately it could never live up to the hype. I got in to the beta, and that was amazing - but by the time it went live, and more people were let in, suspension of disbelief became much harder as people started gaming the game.

@vehemently I’m almost 100% with you there. A huge part of Star Wars for me is the way it looks and sounds. Which is why I never could get in to the books, but love the games.

I loved Taris! But I think Manaan was my favorite. There was just something relaxing about looking out over the endless ocean with the chill music.

I’d love a Mass Effect remaster while I wait for the chill Star Wars game. Between Disney and EA, I don’t think we will ever get it though.

1 Like