I seriously need help with my graphics card

Okay so! I am VERY new to PC Gaming as my main platform and am trying to upgrade my graphics card.

I’m using an HP Pavilion H8-1222 and am trying to install an ASUS Dual Geforce GTX 1050ti.

I plug the card in and on boot get one beep then a few moments later I get a pattern like “Beep Beepbeepbeep”. My understanding is this means the computer CAN NOT detect the new card.

Apparently the solution is to disable secure boot and enable legacy boot.

HOWEVER when I try to go into my BIOS there is no BIOS Setup option. Instead it says “Computer Setup” and when I select that, there is not option for secure boot under Security.

PLEASE HELP! I just want my games to look a bit better.

Thanks.

Do you have a manual for the motherboard? Or are you just working off Google?

To be honest I don’t really see why Secure Boot should be affecting this.

When you turn the computer on does it eventually just go to a black screen?

Just working off google. Manual for the mother board would be long gone.

It does just go to a black screen. My understanding is that disabling secure boot would allow it to use a graphics card other than the standard one HP puts in it. Otherwise it won’t recognize anything else.

So it this the computer you have? https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-pavilion-hpe-h8-1200-desktop-pc-series/5187019/model/5192466/manuals

Without having delved into the manuals there yet though, my first thought would be to see if you can plug your monitor into the motherboard so you can install new graphics card drivers.

http://www.hp-drivers-download.com/hp-drivers/hp-pavilion-hpe-h8-1222-desktop-pc

Yes, but the one I have looks like this? Does that make a difference?

Also where on the motherboard could I plug it in?

The specs say there are integrated graphics. I found this image. https://support.hp.com/doc-images/860/c02854407.jpg

4 and 5 would be video connectors. If you’re using HDMI you might have to get creative.

Also you’ll need to get NVIDIA drivers from here. http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx

Although things should be working somewhat even without drivers, so I’m still not sure that’s your issue. Hopefully someone whose experienced this situation can chime in.

So here is my concern: is this a stock machine which you’re upgrading for the first time?

According to what I can find on HP’s site, it’s only a 300 Watt PSU (and the stuff they put in prebuilt machines is not exactly known for exceeding specs). The upgrade manual for this model doesn’t indicate you need to disable secure-boot to upgrade (that normally would come into play if you’re using unofficial drivers that aren’t signed but all nVidia drivers are signed - I noticed you linked to a potential malware site, don’t download any drivers from websites other than the official support pages for the hardware you have as viruses could be added to unofficial driver downloads).

The Radeon HD 7670 you’re replacing is a 66 Watt GPU. So no extra PSU cable, etc. (the PCI-E slot provides up to 75 Watts) and already I’m thinking your PSU is on the edge of what it comfortably provides with the i7-2600 in the case using another 95W.

Yes, the new GPU you’re plugging is is only 10 Watts more (just riding the line for that 75 Watt maximum power draw from the slot without needing an extra power cable) but with years of wear on top of a system only designed to power a slightly less thirsty GPU - I wouldn’t be shocked if the PSU can’t quite provide enough power and so the boot is being halted.

I would start off just making sure the system is working. Take the new GPU out and don’t even put in the old one, just plug in the motherboard video output and boot from the integrated graphics. Make sure you’re fine getting to Windows that way. Maybe then would be a good time to update anything (last BIOS they release, make sure Windows Update is not showing anything pending) to resolve any of those potential issues.

Then see if you can get anyone with local tech skills to give you a hand. Ideally they’d have a spare PSU sitting around and be able to see if their (400W+) model can boot your system properly with the new GPU inside (so isolating the issue to being the need for a PSU upgrade) or if the issue is elsewhere.

Google suggests you might have stumbled upon this support chain (or a similar one). It seems like a BIOS update is actually how those users fixed their issues (fixing a compatibility issue with the mobo). If you can’t find the secure boot UEFI BIOS option then it’s probably because your system doesn’t support it (this era [with the H67 chipset in this machine] was when companies started transitioning from traditional BIOSes to UEFI so you may well not have a system that can secure boot so clearly it would not be the problem).

Just a quick double check, are you plugging the HDMI/VGA/DVI cable to your new video card ports and not to your old display out ports?

Power supply was the first thing that came to my mind. Almost every GPU problem I’ve had was actually a PSU problem, whether I’d outgrown its capability or it had begun to give up the ghost.