In ‘Slay the Spire,’ Knowledge Is Your Weapon and Your Downfall

Postscript is Cameron Kunzelman's weekly column about endings, apocalypses, deaths, bosses, and all sorts of other finalities.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/gynx87/slay-the-spire-knowledge

That last paragraph is spot on for me. I occasionally beat a run on the lowest difficulty, but I’m so committed to my platonic ideal of the over-the-top silly deck that goes all in on a single mechanic that I always play as if that’s going to work. It usually fails, sometimes on a boss that is purpose-built to punish my deck, but that’s not the point. There are absolutely optimal ways to play, items to pick, cards to prioritise, and there is some satisfaction in piecing together a winning run. But I prefer the gamblers rush from getting just the right relic to turn my gimmicky single-mechanic deck into a hurtling juggernaut of bullshit.

always gonna pick the event

That’s a habit that FTL beat out of me. When that game says that Giant Alien Spiders Are No Joke, it’s attached to the response for charging headfirst into that event, but it really should be attached to the response for running the eff away from it.

I noticed the most recent patch for Slay the Spire changed the Accursed Blacksmith, which is one of those events I always walked away from.