In your personal Top 10 Games of All Time list, what's the outlier?

More specifically, what’s the one game you wouldn’t expect to find on anyone else’s list?

Mine would have to be Kid Icarus: Uprising. Despite it having quite possibly the worse control scheme in video game history (I have over 200 hours logged in it and I’m STILL not used to it), I consider every other aspect of it almost perfect. Even the multiplayer was great. If there’s a single Nintendo game left that deserves a Switch port, it’s this one. The controls being redesigned with two sticks in mind would fix the only problem I have with it.

What's the Weirdest Game in Your Top 10?

Drakengard. Nobody liked the combat and also nobody played it

ALPHA PROTOCOL, best game ever made and also a trash fire that doesn’t work at all

Summon Night: Swordcraft Story. It’s a really good JRPG on the GBA but being a spin-off of a SRPG series no-one played, and which I think had never been localised before, really kinda screwed it.

I don’t think I have one. Depends who’s looking at it I guess but my current top 10 is:

1. Pokemon RGB
  2. FFX
  3. MGS2
  4. StarCraft+Brood War
  5. Killer7
  6. Persona 3
  7. Mario 64
  8. Silent Hill 2
  9. GTA: Vice City
  10. MGS

It’s Killer 7, dogg.

I’m not hating, but is that game really regarded that highly? I never played it, but I wanted to.

Firefall.

In it’s… several year run, in various iterations, starting with the first closed test on the comm tower PvP, to when they removed PvP, to the servers going offline, I spent a lot of time in the game. (Just south of 500 hours in the Steam version, which probably didn’t track at least half my time with the game.)

Testing, giving feedback, playing, relaxing, listening to podcasts, grinding, doing public events.

• The basic moment to moment combat was extremely good.
  • The classes were fantastic.
  • It always felt like there was something you could be doing to further what you wanted, in a way no game but WoW has had for me.
  • Gliding was good.
  • Jump jets are good.
  • Very good use of vertical space and cover.

Obviously, it didn’t work out. It was extremely flawed. It was billed as a future esports game, before PvP got really bad, and eventually removed. By the time the game was getting pretty solid, the player base was too small to support getting it to where it needed to be to get more players into it.

I don’t think anybody who hated it was wrong on any level.
I loved it. The identity crisis or a B-movie game that it was.
I blame Kern for its slow death.

(Edit: Also, I think Firefall played a pretty big role in when I really started thinking more about how design choices are made, game design as a thing, etc. instead of just… playing games. The one up-side to regularly making arguments against decisions being made, for changes, etc. and having those be ignored for the most part.)

Monster Rancher (the first one was my favorite, but 2 is probably the better game). I desperately wish Koei Tecmo would make a new one. I’d take a shotty gatcha game. Please. Anything.

Rune Factory 2

I really adore that game’s narrative twist, where in its first half you play the typical Harvest Moon-like farming sim with some limited dungeon crawling,, and then in its second half your initial player-character goes off to save the world and disappears, and you’re now playing as their kid, which opens up the game world because you’re now small enough to get around all its fences and barriers. I played it towards the end of middle school but it’s really stuck with me since. I also love how the final dungeon is hidden beneath your barn, and once you expand it all the way you suddenly find a hole in the ground and bam, you drop into a dungeon that in the end also incorporates some farming into its puzzles. It just felt like it integrated its story and gameplay in ways that I didn’t expect, considering the first one was a fun but fairly run-of-the-mill Harvest Moon/dungeon crawler hybrid.

I also wrote up a much longer and spoiler-filled thing about it once, if you’re curious. But I think that about sums it up.

I have a big personal emotional attachment with the PS1 game The Legend of Dragoon. To professional critics it got pretty overshadowed by stuff like Final Fantasy 7 but I liked it a lot.

Well, it’s quite divisive but I feel like most enthusiasts generally know and accept that there is enormous reverence for it among a small group.

Probably Cibele, which people liked as a personal, small game, but which I consider a miracle of the medium. It’s definitely a top five game for me.

I’m not really sure, since I consider my taste in games pretty standard, but maybe The Yawhg?

I’ve been thinking about it constantly since the recent Monster Prom stream and just how… disappointed I was with the writing of the only other game Yawhg-adjacent I know of. That in turn got me thinking about just how much I love The Yawhg and what it meant for me and one of my friends. We kind of bought the game on a whim looking for something fun to play and ended up having one of the best nights I can remember just playing it over and over trying to get different outcomes, and as I think about it more I realize it actually made a pretty big impact on me in terms of how I like to game with friends, and started to solidify my love of collaborative role-playing in comparison to the more competitive focused “couch co-op” games that seemed like they were coming out in droves a few years back.

Toy Commander!

Game is what I always wanted out of a toy themed game and I think a number of the missions hold up to this day. There’s a lot of smart design decisions in it that other toy based games fail at. For starters most of the missions look and feel like they were actually put together by a child. They reuse props and enemies frequently like a kid would because you just have to make do with what you have. A lot of the mission premises sound like something a kid would come up with such as saving his sisters doll from being blown up by tanks or protecting the toy citizens from UFO abduction.

Other things that stick out is just the simplicity of not only the controls but how forgiving the game can be while still making it feel like you did something awesome. There’s no penalty for crashing into things even as a plane you just kind of bounce off it, that’s something no other game would ever do. If you find there’s missions you just don’t like you can skip them by beating others to progress instead.

It manages to still be a game that I will beat once a year while trying to beat my old high scores despite being over 8 years old.

hey, i absolutely loved swordcraft story, glad to see someone else looks back on it fondly! sanary was my favorite and the crafting mechanics were a blast.

as far as something else i think i wouldn’t expect to see on anyone’s list… maybe lux pain, subtitled “the game with the worst translation i’ve ever seen”. i played a lot of poor translations back in the lux pain era, and i still remember it being the worst by far – which really sucked for a murder mystery game about teens trying to contend with the persona franchise. (it had great ideas in its plot, though!)

I feel at times that most of my top ten are outliers. I mean, I got…

• Cave Story, which a lot of people (especially indie game developers) think very highly of, but not many would say its in their top ten.
  • Ghost Trick, which is criminally underappreciated.
  • Disgaea: Hour of Darkness, which doesn’t hold up well, has a lackluster story, and is not as good as every other game in the series after it, but I still have on there mainly because of how big of an impact that game left on me.
  • Fire Emblem (aka Fire Emblem 7 aka Fire Emblem: The Blazing Blade), which either people like, but not enough to make their top 10 or just don’t like as much as the sequels.
  • Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow, which is in the shadow of Dawn of Sorrow and Symphony of the Night when it came to the metroidvania castlevanias.
  • The fact that every game in my top ten is either made for portables or recieved ports for them, with the GBA being the most represented platform.

I’m the weird guy who never really had a problem with Uprising’s control scheme and actually kinda enjoyed it. Then again, I played a lot more of Metroid Prime: Hunters online than most back in the day.

And I would much prefer a switch sequel to a port, but honestly I would totally buy a port of it just to play it again because that game fucking rules.

I think the closest thing I have to an outlier, in the sense the OP is describing, is Mass Effect 3. It’s a well-liked game, and I hate its ending about as much as everyone else, but I think it wouldn’t be in anyone else’s top ten because most people don’t double dip into a franchise in their list, and I am atypical in that 3 is my favorite in the trilogy (most people prefer 2, which I just can’t stand - I actually like 1 a lot more).

I’m a bit of a cheat on that I like all three ME games about equally for different reasons. ME1 for its cohesive story, 2 for its character work, and 3 for its incredibly emotional beats (“It had to be me. Someone else might have gotten it wrong.”). So I just list it as Mass Effect Trilogy in my personal top 10.

Need For Speed High Stakes. I know a lot of people like NFS3 Hot Pursuit and that really puzzles me when High Stakes has every track, vehicle and mode from Hot Pursuit (on PC). It also has a really challenging career mode where you need to spend your winnings on vehicle repairs and race entry fees, but also there are races where if you lose you lose your car. It also had DLC, which is wild for a game from 2000.

The PS1 version is very different but also very good. The career mode is balanced differently and the driving model is more forgiving. It’s different enough that I could play one version one year and the other version the next year for a very long time.

I think the only people here with more off the beat tastes than mine are the ones with somewhat obscure Japanese games on theirs.

10 - Persona 4
9 - Resident Evil 4
8 - Deponia Doomsday
7 - Alan Wake
6 - Shadowrun: Dragonfall/Hong Kong
5 - Odin Sphere
4 - Killer7
3 - The Dark Eye: Memoria
2 - Rayman Origins
1 - The World Ends With You

Two Daedalic games on my list, and one of them Deponia, probably qualifies me for a “wait what” prize. Also I am seriously considering dropping P4 out of the top ten after playing Mass Effect 2. It used to be my fave but it keeps dropping the more I realize that it’s kind of a huge pile of worthless conservative horseshit.