In your personal Top 10 Games of All Time list, what's the outlier?

I don’t think it’s in my top 10, but I like Super Mario Sunshine a lot more than most people. It’s definitely my favorite Mario game. I almost always like when developers try something new and quirky with an established series, and I think Nintendo are especially good at it. I also love how Isle Delfino hangs together as a single, coherent location instead of a series of levels. It was kind of ahead of its time in that sense.

Hmm. Impossible for me to know what other folks don’t also like. But at a guess from my goat list:
The Talos Principle
Kentucky Route Zero

I also greatly prefer the original NES Metroid and Legend of Zelda games to their more frequently lauded SNES counterparts (Super Metroid and A Link to the Past).

Romance of the Three Kingdoms VIII, easily. It is as niche of a game you can find in the PS2 era.

honestly - and this is only because i think public perception of arcade sports games is extremely low, and this game is an outlier in the genre itself - but rocket league. i have no idea how it broke through that barrier that all arcade sports (and MOBA) games face, where they’re basically all dead on arrival, but it did and managed to reach a wider audience; even with that said, i’m not so sure people would rate it as highly as i think it deserves! but i really really love arcade sports games! yea

2003’s Freelancer. While remembered fondly by those who came into contact with it, it’s kinda fallen into obscurity.
Freelancer was great because it was sort of an accessable space sim-light, with fun arcadey combat (think everspace if you’ve played that), a decent enough space romp of a story, solid progression and a really great sense of exploration.
It’s not perfect by any means but man, if it isn’t the best swashbuckling space game out there. (Rock paper shotgun had it on spot 10 on their best space games list)

Probably the most serious outliers would result from my love for mid-1990s Capcom arcade games, like Marvel Super Heroes or D&D Shadows Over Mystara.

I know a lot of people love Capcom arcade games, but if you asked most people to name their favourite fighter, I doubt many would go to that first Marvel Super Hero game.

Atelier Totori. Its just… really good, I promise!!!

IDK even know what my top 10 are, let’s figure it out.

No particular order for 1-4.

1-4. King of Dragon Pass, New Vegas, Morrowind, Night in the Woods

1. Magic: The Gathering as represented by the game Shandalar from 1997 for the purposes of this list.

2. Suikoden III? Haven’t finished it yet but, it will probably end up being one.

3. Super Mario 3D World is a pretty good game.

4. Tekken, as a series.

5. Kingdom Hearts, it was too formative for me not to go on this list.

6. Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelists of the Rose, an amazing mess.

Turns out the bottom 6 are also in no particular order other than not being in the top 4. I guess Duelists of the Rose, since it’s not actually a good game in any sense.

This list is not great though, the gap between the first 4 and the bottom 6 games is huge.

Haha I do that too. It feels a bit like a cheat, but you know what, it’s our Top 10!

World of Goo usually lands pretty high in my favorite video games list, and I very rarely see anyone mention it. It’s just so charmingly weird and satisfying - though the mobile/PC ports hold up much better than the Wii version.

I have a lot of affection for Variable State’s Virginia, which received some pretty positive reviews at the time but I don’t see many folks who remember it as fondly now. I don’t know if it’d quite make my top 10 but I do really like it. The choice to have no dialogue and convey what’s going on through mannerisms of the characters and the framing of the scenes felt very novel, and I thought the story it told about the relationships two black women have with their work & their family was quite touching. The soundtrack is also incredible.

It’s not a perfect game by any means. The brevity of the experience means that there’s not as much interiority lent to the lives of the main characters as I would have liked, and I totally get why the surrealist elements of the game (especially the ending) turned folks off. All said though it’s still one of my favourite games from the past 5 years.

World of Goo should be high on everybody’s list because it presents capitalism as an absurdist, self-destructive hellscape, making it the most realistic portrayal of capitalism ever.

I all my favorite games tend to be “Good idea or game that maybe didn’t perfectly stick the landing in all aspects” EXCEPT Ace Combat 5, Ratchet & Clank 3 & SSX 3 which are near perfect games but also probably lowest on my list.

The list bellow is in no particular order other than the games that cam up in my head first when I thought what are my favorite games. Maybe there is one that stands out more as an outlier.

1. NieR Automata
  2. Dragons Dogma
  3. Alpha Protocol
  4. Nier
  5. Hotline Miami
  6. Wolfenstein: The New Order
  7. Ace Combat 5
  8. Ratchet & Clank 3
  9. Just Cause 2
  10. SSX 3

HM: Darksiders 1 & 2

My Top 10 is hard to pin down, but a rough list would probably be this:

1. Yume Nikki
  2. Kingdom Hearts
  3. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
  4. Final Fantasy VII
  5. Dark Souls
  6. Ghost Trick
  7. Shadow of the Colossus
  8. Undertale
  9. Kirby Nightmare in Dreamland (remake of Kirby’s Adventure)
  10. Metroid: Zero Mission (remake of Metroid)/Final Fantasy VI/Chrono Trigger/Metal Gear Solid?

I have lots of outliers, but they’re outliers in different ways. The games most unlikely to be in other Top 10’s just by the way of less people having played them are most likely Yume Nikki and Ghost Trick. The games least likely to make it from the series that they’re in are the GBA remakes for the original NES Kirby and Metroid, which are not usually brought up because they are remakes but for me were crucial in developing my tastes for games.

Kingdom Hearts is an outlier in the sense that it’s a game that I’ve grown less fond of over time, and now the series just seems like a megacorporation mashup nightmare (it always was but now I’m old enough to get it). However, it was the game that really brought me into the world of gaming, I played it during a very formative period in my life, and it brought me closer to a lot of friends, so I consider to be the game that had the largest impact on my childhood.

100% there with you – it’s my favorite arcade game of all time.

Probably Saints Row the Third.

I think it’s the perfect open world crime game. They managed to figure out a way to fix the problem of having a defined character who will also do whatever you want them to. Nico and Marsten never made sense as rampaging lunatics because they used every exhale to decry their lot in life and the crimes they were forced to commit. There’s no world where Marsten just decides to tie a woman to the train tracks on a whim. The Boss is written in such a way that somehow it all works. They’re not so cartoonishly evil that behaving relatively normally is odd, but they’re also absurd enough to just throw people off of skyscrapers because they can.

I don’t really have one, I think.

I mean, my top ten is full of broken Obsidian messes - KotOR II GOAT etcetera - but, while they may not have as much mainstream popularity as, say, the BioWare games that are also on the list, it’s not like the internet - or even this forum - is lacking for people who appreciate them, especially these days.

Hmmm… Thinking about it, there’s at least a chance that my appreciation for Star Trek: Bridge Commander is something of an outlier. I like that game a lot, but I rarely see it talked about, well, anywhere.

I was going to say Mass Effect 3 because I don’t think any other game does what it does well as good as ME3 does it, but I think there’s a sizable cadre of Me3 defenders out there. (for the record, I do think there’s problems with it, but the parts I like are some of my favorite things)

Other options are Saints Row 2, a game with issues that got ironed out in 3, but I think 2 is far better than 3 (which I liked) and my favorite game in the genre because of its atmosphere.

My other choice would be Darkest Hour: A Hearts of Iron Game, which is a version of Hearts of Iron 2 from 2009 that I still enjoy more than the modern Paradox games. It is from before CK2 which made the company explode in popularity but it’s my favorite map game, and especially with some of the mods available it has a tremendous amount of replayability.

Metroid Prime 2: Echoes is one of my favorite games for sure. It is often overshadowed by the first Metroid Prime for sure but I just love how Echoes feels. So many of the enemies (rezbits specifically) are just so fun to fight. The dark world gimmick is definitely a huge reason that people stay away from this game, but it never irked me too much. Many of the boss fights utilize the dark world in ways that turn run-of-the-mill boss fights into some of the most tense moments that I’ve experienced. While the harshness of the dark world holds the game back for many other players, it is something that I found added another layer upon a great sequel. Also Quadraxis is my favorite boss in video games.

My top 10 would likely be

1. KOTOR 2
  2. Aliens vs. Predator 2
  3. Def Jam Fight For New York
  4. Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines
  5. Life is Strange
  6. Dark Souls
  7. Resident Evil 4
  8. Pokemon Gold
  9. Nier : Automata
  10. Alpha Protocol

I’m guessing AvP 2 and Def Jam would be the biggest outliers.