In your personal Top 10 Games of All Time list, what's the outlier?

I don’t have my exact list put together at the moment, but you can assume it would be something like:

-MegaMan Battle Network
-Into the Breach
-MegaMan Battle Network
-MegaMan Battle Network
-MegaMan Battle Network
-MegaMan Battle Network
-The Void
-MegaMan Battle Network
-MegaMan Battle Network
-MegaMan Battle Network

Regardless, The Void is the outlier for sure. It’s a weird game by the same people who made Pathologic and it has the same sort of creepy, opaque charm. Everything is a metaphor, and you’re never quite sure how much of that is aimed at you, the player of a game you can barely understand, or just part of the weird situation the character finds himself in. It’s confusing, broken, artsy, weird, and just fascinating.

Here’s my list:

Silent Hill 2
Castlevania: SoTN
Galatea - it’s a text adventure by Emily Short. The game has a dark, unnerving psychological side in common with many other games here. Still, it is neither super cute nor scary, which along with being interactive fiction sets it apart.
Planescape: Torment
Cosmology of Kyoto
Jet Grind Radio
Grim Fandango
The Talos Principle
Limbo
Rayman: Origins

I’m playing Yume Nikki now after the thread here earlier this year. It will likely be on my top 10 by the time I finish.

I’m not really sure if my top ten has an outlier:

1. Mass Effect (2007)
  2. Assassin’s Creed II (2009)
  3. Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End (2016)
  4. NieR: Automata (2017)
  5. Infamous (2009)
  6. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (2011)
  7. Star Wars: Battlefront II (2005)
  8. Life is Strange (2015)
  9. Red Dead Redemption (2010)
  10. The Walking Dead (2012)

Maybe MW3, and that’s only there because it just happened to be the multiplayer game I played tons of with friends.

My outlier is Shrek 2 for the GBA. This is not a shitpost. It’s a great platformer and I still go back and play through levels occasionally.

So cutting down to a Top 10 was difficult but here it is:

• Earthbound
  • Age of Empires
  • Final Fantasy VI
  • Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas
  • Dark Souls
  • Super Metroid
  • Fallout 2
  • Final Fantasy VII
  • Demon’s Souls
  • Doom 2

I’d say the outlier is Age of Empires because as it’s been said, nobody cares about Age of Empires after its sequel’s release.

I overthink these things, but this is the best I can come up with. It should be said that how I manage these games is sometimes compromised. In the case of Age of Empires and especially Doom 2, a large majority of my goodwill comes from community-made content. In the case of the Final Fantasy games, my more recent experiences with those titles are romhack related. While most of those romhacks don’t drastically change the main structure of the game, they’re still mods.

Some of those games I haven’t touched in years, like Fallout 2 and San Andreas. On the contraire, I have problems with listing any game that has come out in the last five years or so but that’s probably because of my own insecurities of making a list that’s “of its time”. Some games were excluded:

• LISA: The Painful RPG
  • Stephen’s Sausage Roll
  • Undertale

Looking back with the “one game you wouldn’t expect to find on anyone else’s list?”, a part of the question I admittedly missed the first go around, makes my list seem a lot more boring and safe. Like all the games I have on my list would probably find their way on other fans of the genres.

Strategy RPG fans regard Disgaea, Final Fantasy Tactics, and Fire Emblem very highly, even if they all hit different parts of the community.

JRPG fans love Persona 4, Chrono Trigger, and Mother 3 more than almost any other games in the genre that don’t have the words “Final Fantasy” in the name.

Indie game fans and developers alike treat Cave Story as a sort of revelation of what small scale development could be.

Metroidvania fans still consider Aria of Sorrow a premiere game in the subgenre.

Super Mario 64 is, well, Super Mario 64.

And even if Ghost Trick is underrated on the whole, you have many fans out there who are willing to sing its praises at any given moment.

So I guess I would go with Ghost Trick purely due to popularity’s sake? But that seems like a cop-out. :frowning:

1. Resident Evil 2
  2. Bloodborne
  3. Legend of Dragoon
  4. Legend of Legaia
  5. Mass Effect
  6. Paper Mario
  7. Final Fantasy 7
  8. Resident Evil 4
  9. Pokemon Soul Silver
  10. Super Punch Out

Obviously the outliers are number 3 and 4. I don’t believe I’ve heard discussion about either Legend game outside of conversations with close friends. While these games were not front and center during the fever of Playstation Final Fantasy, they are probably my fav JRPGs to revisit almost annually. Their unique combat mechanics and stories struck a cord in my preteen self and have held strong due both to nostalgia and legitimate enjoyment. Memories of disco dancing and the Delilas family in Legaia, that first Dragoon transformation and Lavitz’s moment still permeate my thoughts from time to time. They might not hold up to the standards set by other famous JRPGs of the era, but they will always be a welcome diversion when current releases lose my interest and I need my comfort food of gaming.

Not sure it would make my top 10 but I’m with you on Drakengard, I love that game. This is perhaps even more surprising when considering that I have played it for the first time in 2016.

I would have to think about what my personal 10 are, the top two spots are the only ones I’m immediately certain about (Witcher 3 and Nier Automata), neither of which I would be surprised to see on lots of other people’s lists.

So in no particular order, my top 10 is

• Wind Waker
  • Burnout Paradise
  • Dark Souls
  • Civilization V: Brave New World
  • Spelunky
  • Psychonauts
  • Quadrilateral Cowboy
  • Splinter Cell: Conviction
  • Pikmin
  • Butterfly Soup

I think it would be easy to say the outlier here is Civ V because it’s the strategy game, but if this expanded into top 20 or 25, my list would be running over with strategy games. The outlier might be Butterfly Soup because most of these are games that I have lived with for a very long time, whereas Butterfly Soup is a newcomer. Alternatively, it’s Splinter Cell: Conviction because that’s the only one where you really like shoot people with guns, and that game was very nearly cut in favor of Mark of the Ninja.

EDIT: honestly, strike Civ V from that list and put in Sonic Adventure 2

My top ten would be…

1. Psychonauts
  2. Persona 4G/5
  3. Bioshock
  4. Portal 2
  5. Wind Waker
  6. Civ V
  7. Hitman (2016)
  8. Night in the Woods
  9. Mirror’s Edge

My list is so all over the place that I don’t really know that any one game sticks out all that much, except perhaps Civ. In terms of games you wouldn’t see on many other people’s lists, I have very few options. Most of what’s in my top ten is fairly popular. I suppose the more recent stuff would get dinged there, since they’ve had less time to build a following.

Even just drawing up this quick provisional list, it was very difficult for me to cut it down to 10.

• Breath of the Wild
  • FEZ
  • Metal Gear Solid 3
  • Shadow of the Colossus
  • Ori and the Blind Forest
  • Dark Souls
  • Kingdom Hearts 2 Final Mix
  • Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 4
  • The Witness
  • Amplitude (2003)

I would say Amplitude is probably the game you’re least likely to see on other lists in this thread. Rhythm is just a genre of game that doesn’t get properly considered when it’s time to talk about the all time greats, but Amplitude is just as deserving as any other game on that list.

But if I were to pick the game that most represents an outlier, it’s probably FEZ. All of these other games are difficult games that demand alot from the player in terms of mechanical mastery, strategy, or puzzle solving. FEZ is the only game on this list that I would describe as being more experiential, about simply being in that world, pondering it, exploring it, and getting lost in the process. Yes, FEZ has those mind-bogglingly obtuse puzzles that the community had to get together and solve, but those are so different from the “difficulty” of the rest of these games that it’s an entirely different thing. During Indie Game: The Movie, Phil Fish describes the world of FEZ as “just a nice place to be”, and that notion really resonates with my experience of FEZ in a way that’s unique to that one game.

Honorable Mentions: Chrono Trigger, Katamari Damacy, Burnout 3: Takedown, Resident Evil 4, Undertale, Hyper Light Drifter, Ocarina of Time, Bloodborne, Super Mario World, Mega Man 2, Persona 4: Golden, Super Mario Galaxy, Metal Gear Solid 1, 2, and V

This topic made me go back to reorganizing my… top 200 list (i know i am obsessed with this nonsense). It’s led to reshuffling my top 10, and I’ve ended up with this for this specific moment in my life.

1. The Last of Us
  2. Resident Evil 4
  3. Batman: Arkham City
  4. Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
  5. Journey
  6. Final Fantasy Tactics
  7. Shadow of the Colossus
  8. Bloodborne
  9. Suikoden II
  10. Overwatch

I can’t even say with any finality right now that I’m 100% satisfied with this order. I know I might end up replacing some stuff there with games in the top 20 if I actually wrote all my thoughts and feelings about each one of these, but I already spent more than an hour going through the entire 200 list, so fuck it!

Journey and Overwatch are the most obvious outliers in relation to the rest of the list in terms of genre categorization.

I’m one of those weirdos who thinks City is superior to Asylum in almost every single way. Maybe that’s the one that sticks out the most when we’re talking about ~the canon~ of critically acclaimed video games, because you’re far more likely to see Asylum in that discussion.

Everything else in my top 10 gets a lot of play in your typical talk about GOAT games. Well, Suikoden II probably doesn’t get as much recognition in the highest level of general games talk, but JRPG enthusiasts definitely think real highly of it.

MGS2 is divisive, but it does get mentioned in arguments.

I definitely feel basic af compared to the staff lists and some of the other posters here with my AAA violence and prestige “indie” games lol

Like Rob, pc games in the 90’s were a huge influence on my tastes, but I lean much more towards the role playing games.
The biggest outlier in this group is Tetris, which will probably always be on my list because of the way it’s burrowed into my visual subconscious. I still picture tetris pieces sliding into empty spaces when my mind wanders.

1. Ultima Underworld 2 (pc)
  2. Chrono Trigger (snes)
  3. System Shock 2 (pc)
  4. Animal Crossing New Leaf (3ds)
  5. Witcher 3 (ps4)
  6. Tetris (gba)
  7. Baldurs Gate 2 (pc)
  8. Yakuza series (0 in particular) (ps4)
  9. Zelda Windwaker (gamecube)
  10. Star Control 2 (pc)

In no particular order, the top 10 that spring to mind are

Undertale
The World Ends With You
Final Fantasy VII
Nier: Automata
Team Fortress 2
Crusader Kings 2
Spelunky
Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
Firewatch
Night in the Woods

Surprising honourable mention is that I cut Dark Souls from this list. Because as much fun as I’ve had playing it myself and watching my girlfriend play through, it’s just not quite in my list because the things it’s good at are things that are often not my favourite part of games.

Which is why I think Spelunky is my outlier. With no real narrative to speak of, my love for it is purely about the joy of the mechanics and mastering them. Even TF2, I liked the lore and put it on this list because it was a social experience for me. I actually liked the Final Fantasy Tactics story, as well as the mechanics of that game. But Spelunky was just about learning the system and enjoying the mastery of it. Which I like, but it’s not truly my favourite thing about games.

I think Final Fantasy Tactics Advance is probably the least likely to appear on other lists. It wasn’t super unpopular (AFAIK), but I often hear people loving the original more for the dramatic narrative, but I found it too dense to get into. I liked the much smaller personal story in Advance of the kids coming to terms with their desire for escapism and learning to deal with the real world.

I’ve been wanting to really reevaluate my top ten and maybe cement it down, since currently it’s whatever are the first ten games that come to mind.

• Morrowind
  • Half-Life 2
  • Prey
  • Dark Souls
  • Cave Story
  • Pokemon Leafgreen
  • infinifactory
  • Jackbox Party Pack (2 or 3)
  • Portal
  • Dwarf Fortress

I would say the majority of these games have strong worlds, intricate systems, or plenty of room to revisit. Jackbox is definitely an outlier, as the only multiplayer game, and it’s an outlier in that genre since it’s a rare occurrence of a couch game. Honestly, I would be surprised if anyone puts such a game on a list because too often people don’t compartmentalize it as a videogame, because it feels like just some fun between friends.

ain’t nobody gonna put Sonic R on a top 10 except me in this moment.

my top 10 is weird anyhow:

Ridge Racer Type 4
Max Payne 2
Kirby’s Dreamland 3
Gradius Gaiden
Sonic R
Outrun 2/006
Link’s Awakening
Lumines
Astro Boy Omega Factor
Dracula X Chronicles

I was walking through the park and mentally thinking through what my own top 10 would be and how I would find an “outlier” and struggling for a bit before figuring it out. Unordered, I think such a list would be:
-Super Mario Galaxy
-Hitman 2016
-Thief II
-Geneforge
-Spacechem
-Riven
-Nier: Automata
-Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate (standing in for the Monster Hunter franchise as a whole)
-Elite Beat Agents
-Phoenix Wright: Justice for All

I think what I landed on here is: Nier: Automata is the only game on this list that I wouldn’t say is “the best” or “one of the best” at something. Everything else is a clear standout in at least one area to me, a pinnacle example of something whether its the relentless inventiveness of Mario Galaxy or the way that Thief II still has level design that it feels the industry is lagging behind decades later. Automata though is just sort of a big glorious mess

My list would be:

1. Might and Magic II: Gate to Another World
2. Shining Force II
3. Total War
4. Europa Universalis IV
4. Danganronpa
5. Umineko: When the Cry
6. Crusader Kings II
7. Elder Scrolls:
8. Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
9. Steins; Gate
10. Valkyrie Chronicles

The outliners… I would expect a lot of them would not appear in other list, specially something old like Might and Magic II or the several VNs or some of the jrpgs… talking about them I might have some honorable mentions:

1. Dragons Dogma
2. Last Remnant
3. Tokyo Xanadu
4. Elminage Gothic
5. Stranger of Sword City
6. Lost Dimension
7. Final Fantasy Type-0
8. Final Fantasy XIII
9. God Eater
10. Neptunia

I would not expect FF 13 in anyone list and to be clear - I know the game have a lot of problems. But somehow, in the end I find myself enjoying that game a lot.

Yume Nikki is a game I come back to maybe every year. It’s just one of those games that carved out a permanent space in my mind. Just feels like home.

Always happy to hear that people are still willing to give a shareware game from the early 2000’s a shot. If nothing else I’m glad that the sequel release earlier this year brought it back into the modern “zeitgeist”.