In your personal Top 10 Games of All Time list, what's the outlier?

Brave Fencer Musashi is a game I haven’t thought about in a long time - thanks for bringing it up! I probably wouldn’t put it in my Top 10, but I did really enjoy it.

Also, a series I totally forgot about and was completely in love with:

Goemon the Mystical Ninja. I loved both the SNES and the N64 games. Would really like to return to those at some point.

By the by, did anyone here ever play Pocky & Rocky? I was terrible at those games, but I really loved them, especially their aesthetic. Always wanted a Pocky & Rocky RPG.

I was thinking of Brave Fencer Mushashi just yesterday when I was remembering when I actually had time and interest to play every new Square RPG that came out.

My uncle randomly got me Pocky & Rocky from a flea market and I loved the hell out of it. Never quite realized I was playing a SHMUP until years later. I remember seeing the previews for the sequel in EGM and thinking it was dope as hell that it had a bunch of new characters. Never did play that sequel. Wonder if it was good.

Hell yeah, Pocky and Rocky two was my JAM as a kid.

It was. I played the hell out of that one too!

i don’t have a whole top 10 list thought out but my outlier is probably ico. i know it’s generally well-regarded, but it always seems to get overshadowed (sorry for the pun) by shadow of the colossus. i like sotc as much as the next person, but ico is the one that really carved out a place in my heart.

• The Last of Us: Multiplayer
  • Steamworld Dig
  • Left 4 Dead
  • Jak and Daxter
  • Team Fortress 2
  • Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
  • The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim
  • The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion
  • Titanfall 2
  • Spelunky
  • Minecraft

My list, which is in no particular order, is really all over the place but I think the biggest outlier is The Last of Us’s multiplayer mode. I genuinely believe it is the best multiplayer mode in a game not focused on multiplayer, period. I also think it is the most underated multiplayer mode in all of gaming. The sense of dread that game mode carries is so incredibly well done, and I think it’s why I love the “final circle” moments of battle royale games now.

Steamworld Dig, Spelunky, Jak and Daxter, and Minecraft all have platforming and collectathon ties. Titanfall 2, Call of Duty, Team Fortress 2, and Left 4 Dead are all skill heavy shooters. The Elder Scrolls are pretty obviously connected. TLoU is very different but combines the intense death penalties found in a few of the games and the tight mechanics of the others.

EDIT: OMG I forgot to put Spelunky on the list!

My list is pretty small and not in order:

• Rock Band 3

• Demon’s Souls

• Inside

• Killzone 2/3

• The Last of Us

• Wolfenstein: The New Order

• Night in the Woods

• Another World
    Honorable Mention: Dead Space 2 (got stuck at one point and didn’t finish, but I still love it).

The outlier is Killzone, as on the surface it doesn’t seem that different from any other military shooter from the seventh generation. But I love it because 3 is one of the few multiplayer games I’ve ever loved and was good at, and 2’s campaign is really well paced for what the game is trying to convey. It’s exhausting but never tiring, due to well made set peaces sprinkled throughout it. It’s also one of the few games that makes its gray color scheme appealing. Those games don’t really do anything new, and the story is iffy, but it’s still well-crafted in its own right.

As a side note, I still think about the Undertale vs. Ocarina of Time uproar that happened at GameFaqs. It really struck me how so many people’s favorite games were mostly N64 games and older. I know this type of stuff doesn’t really matter, but I really feel like I’m “inexperienced” with games. At least in the eyes of GameFaqs people.

I don’t know what the uproar was about but I would say Undertale’s history is more with games like Earthbound, Yume Nikki, and Cave Story rather than something like OoT. That context probably affects your experience with the game but imo it doesn’t give you a better understanding or anything. I wouldn’t worry about “experience” that historical context is far from the only valuable thing, in fact, I think it’s generally overrated.

From what I remember it, there was a poll on GameFaqs about the greatest game of all time. The poll ended up being between Undertale and Oot. Undertale won, which upset a lot of people.

Honestly just seeing how upset people got that OOT didn’t win yet another Greatest Game award, that was wonderful

Been putting a lot of thought into my top 10, it’s ordered, but that honestly just depends on the day.

1 The Witness
2 Mass Effect 3 (also the series)
3 Mirror’s Edge
4 Portal (series)
5 XCOM (Firaxis & Apocalypse)
6 Transistor
7 Dune (1992, Cryo Interactive)
8 Cities: Skylines
9 Kerbal Space Program
10 Thea: The Awakening

Honorable mention:
Stronghold (1993 SSI game)
Europa Universalis IV
Final Fantasy VIII
ES3: Morrowind

The outlier is pretty clearly the 1992 Dune adventure game from Cryo Interactive (and published by Virgin Games, of all things). The weirdest game is definitely Thea: The Awakening, a 4x game where you don’t do any expansion, you only get one town, and has the strangest card battle resolution minigame ive ever played and I love it.