Inside the Bureaucratic Nightmare That Is Reporting on Gitmo

How long wait times and lack of precedent impede efforts to study the US detention facility at Guantanamo Bay.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/j5qwd8/inside-the-bureaucratic-nightmare-that-is-reporting-on-gitmo

From Austin’s Twitter, I think this is the last of McCammon dispatches from Gitmo, so I wanted to use this as an opportunity to thank them for their articles, all of which have been fascinating elaborations on somewhere that often slips out of view from people.

I’ve listened to reports such as Jason Leopold (cited in the piece) or John Knefel in their reporting on Gitmo, and the sentiments talked about here are really important, particularly around the vastness of its prisoners and the bureaucracy around it. The comparison sketched in this piece between providing information and force feeding is a really interesting comparison, which I think will stick with me for some time.

To return to my first poitn again: thank you, Muira, for all these articles! Hopefully we’ll continue to see you around, whether in the bylines or on the forums.