Is Art . . . Video Games?

who could ever forget Rene Magritte’s timeless
Garry’s Mod

19 Likes

what’s up gamers, uh, it’s dpsklimt and i’m back with another pro painting strats video for you all. today, we’ll be speedrunning the anatomy of the pelvis and ribcage. now, the real meta is to draw through the form. this may not apply as much to pure stylization mains, but it’s super important if you’re trying to respec from anime to a more realistic style. as always, make sure to smash that like and subscribe button!

[video of gesture drawings but with an unnecessary face cam.]

11 Likes

Was thinking this morning about Edward Hopper’s interesting variation on Animal Crossing, Soir Bleu. One of my all time favorites.

And then listening to Mount Eerie just now made me realize how much Nikolai Astrup ripped off Breath of the Wild…

2 Likes

Who can possibly forget the surreal frustration of “The Tyranny of Images” in which René Magritte abstracts the eternal struggle of pressing down on every single green cylinder in Super Mario Brothers only to not be warped elsewhere.

8 Likes

Agnes Martin was famously inspired by Star Citizen for her painting Red Bird.

11 Likes

Joke…Improved

6 Likes

Yes but the controls are bad. I tried every button combination I could think of but I couldn’t make the nude reach the bottom of the stairs.

I’ve always been smitten by Escher’s Portrait of Bowser’s Staircase Before Getting 70 Stars

13 Likes

you sure that isn’t one of his many Monument Valley fanart drawings from his deviantart account?

please,
this is from his echochrome collection

3 Likes

Damn, the Japanese boxart for Bloodborne is so much better than the brooding one for Americans

cw: body horror/cryptic spoilers

3 Likes

Might wanna cw/spoiler that for body horror

1 Like

People make the mistake of only remembering the art that’s popular or a sequel or it got a good review on IGN.

We should celebrate the art that pushes boundaries, like Ad Reinhardt’s Now Loading…

3 Likes

Admittedly this is tangential to the subject of Art as Video Games, but I’d be remiss not to mention my one of my favorite bits of Art as Tabletop Games

Felix Gonzalez-Torres, Untitled (The Sprawl)

3 Likes

Btw Agnes Martin was a woman :slight_smile:

3 Likes

This thread is so good what the hell

1 Like

Don’t know how I messed that one up…

Really beginner level stuff here, but since no ones mentioned it, we gotta bring up Jacques-Louis David’s most well known piece, Le Premier Consul franchissant les Alpes au col du Grand Saint-Bernard

Which, as you all probably already know, captures the moment Napoleon abused the weird physics and collision dection in Skyrim to climb a slope he shouldn’t have been able to.

6 Likes

I am in Chicago for a wedding this weekend and thought I would check out the Museum of Contemporary Art. Imagine my surprise when I saw this Joseph Kosuth piece that takes inspiration from David Cage’s refusal to say anything over the course of a 20 hour game.

4 Likes