Is it bad for the industry if I only buy remakes this year?

As my backlog grows and grows I get the feeling I buy too many games, so I’ve thought about cutting back my spending. But they announced Lumines Remastered today and how could I not get that? I’m currently playing through Burnout Paradise Remastered, and Dark Souls is my number one or two favourite game all-time, so I will probably get that remaster when it comes out later this year. I can’t think of any new releases that interest me.

So if I’m only buying old games then new designers working on new mechanics won’t be supported. Though I can’t say I’ve enjoyed many new mechanics in recent years. It’s one of the things I like about Burnout Paradise; no persistent leveling, no perks system, no loot boxes or other microtransactions. It’s essentially a high tech evolution of a PS2 era design, and I guess I just want more games like that.

For the purposes of this argument lets assume that I’m not unique and there are others like me. Should I(we) try to at least buy some new releases? Or does it not really make a difference?

Nope, I would buy whatever makes you happy. I’m very much in the camp of people who are completely ok with remasters, seeing them as a way for good games to be made more accessible and reach a wider audience, and we really do not have a whole lot of evidence to suggest they are the sole thing preventing studios from creating new IP or anything like that.

There’s nothing wrong with wanting to play nicer looking, improved versions of something you feel strongly about. I’ve bought plenty of remasters, but also diversify by stocking up on shorter, cheaper, innovative indie stuff pretty regularly. The most interesting ideas mechanically are for me usually hidden in something for 20 bucks on steam anyway, so I can keep my budget from getting out of control when I’m really craving a fresh experience.

This might not answer the question 100%, but it gets us close to a good answer:

The tl;dr of the post is that there’s expected sales figures for every game released. If there was to be some shift in the market where a large portion of people only bought remakes/remasters, that would ‘kinda’ affect new IP/Releases in one way or another. This doesn’t mean that buying remakes would strangle the industry to only releasing the re-re-re-remake-HD-turbo game, but the sales goals for remakes would be higher whereas new IP/release would be lower.

At that point though, I don’t know enough of the business end to say what would happen. I feel that the outcome would be close to where we are now, with larger companies trying to play it safe and indies are going to be where we see the new and experimental.

Summary

Nothing would really change. :wink:

Edit: Forgot to add as well, remakes/HD will always have new teams and people working on them. I’m sure some of the Devs here can better explain the difficulty in porting games from a older system to a newer one, but definitely watch the credits list when playing a remake and you’ll see some groups/teams that don’t show up on the originals. :slight_smile:

hi, game developer here (indie, but i know some aaa folks): it doesn’t actually matter what you buy. or, it does, but you can’t think of it as a straightforward cause-and-effect. if the only things that interest you this year are remakes, it’s not your fault; it’s the industry’s fault for failing to produce new games that are as appealing as playing through old favorites again.

i’m always so exhausted by other developers blaming ‘consumers’ (god i hate that word) for the poor performance of their game, or a game they like. sometimes your game isn’t very good. sometimes it was good, but you marketed it wrong. sometimes it’s good, and you marketed it right, but there really just isn’t an audience for the thing you’re making. sometimes random bullshit just happens and a game that should have done well does poorly. it’s never the audience’s fault for not buying things they don’t want. there’s never any moral obligation to participate in the consumption of goods.

remember what your pal sonic says:

I’ve always thought that supporting remakes was a way of saying, “hey, here’s what I liked, and if you keep pushing forward like this, I’ll keep on board.” Supporting Burnout Paradise Remastered signals to EA that people are still hungry for Burnout games, y’know? Besides which, there’s still artists, programmers, and producers working their butts off porting old games to current tech; you’re not denying people an income by only playing re-released work.

Honestly, I’m somewhat bothered that you think you have to ask at all. Can you imagine if someone came in here asking if they were a bad person for only playing actual old games, not even remasters or re-releases? If I stuck with working through my Xbox 360 back catalog, would you tell me I’m not supporting the industry properly? Of course not. So don’t feel down about it! Unless you’re in a position of extraordinary influence, you don’t need to ruminate on what, if anything, you “owe” the industry, and being concerned about healthy consumer practices starts and ends at your mental and financial well-being.

P.S. Today I learned how to pronounce “Lumines”. Before listening to the most recent Bombcast, I thought it was “loo-meens”. So that’s a fun mistake I’ve been making.

If you like remakes and remasters, purchase them. While they obviously are intended to make money and sometimes feel gratuitous, developers might have other reasons for making them, such as familiarizing themselves with the API (Application Programming Interface) of a different console than they usually use.

Your purchasing power as an individual doesn’t change all that much in the industry because of the way that advertisement-focused capitalism works. The shareholders have much more influence than the customers.

In addition to what everyone else is saying, if you’re really concerned about supporting innovation and creativity, maybe check out more indie stuff and if any of it strikes your fancy, send some support that way. They’re usually less expensive and can use more traffic for the cool things they’re doing.