Is The Boondocks Anime

I am in the middle of a heated debate and I do not have time to explain anything else. Help me, waypointfourms.zone.net

• Anime
  • Not Anime
  • Maybe Anime

0 voters

yeah, it’s anime

It’s made by Koreans and Americans, but shrug

is it from Japan? if not then it is not anime, unless you are having this debate in Japanese in which case it might be, I couldn’t speak to what a Japanese person would call a cartoon.

I’ve actually seen this question destroy a forum before.

I get it, but anime is Japanese animation so by definition The Boondocks is not anime. By style? Sure, yeah, it’s an anime-influenced style.

not anime

REALLY fucking good tho…except for the 4th season

I think it’s okay to say it’s similar to anime, inspired by anime, and even good at the same things as anime, without calling it anime.

This is a really close one you guys

I think the data here might help me win this debate. This is really important to me

Nope.

Although, I’m always curious about these hyper semantic debates. What purpose is there, if we may ask, behind categorizing The Boondocks as either anime or not anime in your (now seemingly our) debate?

Because depending on the point(s) being argued, it seems like it could count for most intents/purposes, even if technically not anime.

Because I gotta win this argument with an otaku my man

My sense of self worth depends on it

What’s your stance my dude?

While I understand your point re: needing more data, I feel like we need more feedback as to the terms of your argument because that seems fairly crucial to this whole endeavor

surely this data can’t really be considered valid without an accepted common definition for Anime in this context.

Oh no. This sounds like the worst kind of argument then.

I think step one is arguing that you need a fixed definition of anime for your debate.

From Google,
"…a style of Japanese film and television animation, typically aimed at adults as well as children."

You can then argue one of two points, depending on which truth you wish to enforce in the world.

1. (Not anime.) If it’s purely semantic, I’m afraid The Boondocks falls outside of the strictest definitions. As it is not Japanese film or television.

2. (It’s anime.) A Japanese style, when copied, or executed elsewhere in the world, or by other people is still that style. doesn’t magically start being something else. It’s simply a US/Korean made anime. …Commence evil laughter.

Unfortunately, both have holes large enough to keep this debate alive for a long time, with personal valuation/weighing of the importance of aspects of the definition. If you bring up other styles of art in history, almost none include culture/country of origin in their definition. (That I can think of at least, I’m prepared to be called the fool.)

you like anime, op

look, as much as I’d love to express my Animepinions®, I think it’s important that I remain neutral here for the time being so that I might be able to better anticipate my competitor’s potential angles of attack

Shit, asking the tough questions here.

I’ll just leave this here:

There are some mental backflips that one has to do with a question like this.

I always get stuck on the fact that cultural appropriation is a real thing that happens in our world and very much happens to people in Japan, but what do you say to the person who sees anime portray their people group negatively (people of color)? And what if that person wants to make anime that provides a more rounded and less caricatured view of their people group? The goal that they set out to do was kind of to make anime without “fill in the blank”, so why would you remove the fact that the work is anime-based in nature? If you just call it an “animated television show”, you’re almost removing its critique and the power of what it’s trying to say.

Personally, I feel like calling Boondocks anime is empowering and solidifies the critique.

I don’t know, like I said, mental backflips. Still not sure where to land on this one. If anyone has insight or opinions on this, feel free to share. I’m still thinking through it.