It Only Took Minutes for Fans to Crowdfund a 'Wonderful 101' Revival

Kickstarter—and crowdfunding more generally—has fallen out of favor with games in recent years. What once seemed like an exciting way to fund ideas that wouldn’t otherwise exist has soured after scores of games showed up late and many of them weren’t any good. But some ideas can still work, and Bayonetta developer PlatinumGames is taking a chance by trying to fund a Switch port of their early Wii U game, The Wonderful 101, on Kickstarter.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/n7j7b8/it-only-took-minutes-for-fans-to-crowdfund-a-wonderful-101-revival

3 Likes

I jumped on one of the higher tier pledges almost instantly, but the news about Dangen being involved in this is really deflating. There’s some uncertainty about how much involvement they have, hopefully it’s “the absolute littlest amount possible”.

Update: It looks like Dangen are handling this Kickstarter and the associated PR for it. Still waiting on additional info, but if you want to avoid supporting them, buying the game after release would theoretically accomplish that.

1 Like

I imagine their involvement is mainly with PR/marketing, they’ve previously done the same with other Kickstarters of Japanese games like Mighty No. 9 and Bloodstained. It’s still disappointing that they’re involved at all though.

Ben Judd, the sex pest at Dangen who was behind a lot of the gross shit, is supposedly no longer at the company. Their problems didn’t just end with Judd though, and it wouldn’t surprise me if he’s still involved somehow.

2 Likes

I’m sorry if this feels like an attack to any of you, but these really feel like some mental gymnastics to justify supporting a game you love despite the fact that they knowingly associated themselves with some bullshit?

Dangen’s involvement is such a bummer. :frowning:

Platinum just added this to their Kickstarter’s FAQ:

Dangen isn’t listed in the staff section. Of course this could just mean that Dangen’s a “non-official partner”, though I’m not really sure what they mean by that.

1 Like

I think it means someone at the company just gave them advice for running a kickstarter. Sounds like they’re not doing any publishing or development work, just helping organize the crowdfunding campaign.

Still shit they’re involved at all but…eh. I don’t think they’re actually taking any money from the kickstarter or anything.

1 Like

PR/marketing is exactly what Dangen does as a company though…