It’s A Good Time to Look at Your 2017 Gaming Backlog

With a few weeks before things ramp up again, maybe some games deserve another look.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/its-a-good-time-to-look-at-your-2017-gaming-backlog

With the steam sale coming up I plan to buy some small games that came out. Horizon is the big game I need to get back into.

I gotta finish Detention, Night In The Woods, and Persona 5 while things are slowing down. probably gonna check out Little Nightmares too

Yakuza 0
Nier: Automata
Persona 5

I bought a PS4 Pro this year because of its great selection of exclusive/near-exclusive games, so I have a lot of work to do. Already finished Horizon and working on Nioh.

Sadly in 2017 I haven’t finished much at all that’s new. I recently discovered the glory of FIFA 17 franchise manager mode, and I’ve spent an ungodly amount of time on it. FIFA, Diablo 3, and Forza Horizon 3 have taken up the bulk of my time this year because I can play all of them while I listen to podcasts / watching netflix.

I just ordered Yakuza 0, which looks awesome from the GBeast videos. I’m currently playing through Wolfenstein: The New Order (not from 2017 but inspired by the bethesda E3 conference), and I’m like 35 hours into Persona 5 and 20 hours into the Switch version of Disgaea 5. I bought but have largely abandoned Zelda and Horizon: Zero Dawn but I hope to get back to them soon.

With the steam sale coming I’ll probably buy another dozen games to throw on the fire, but I’m hoping to slow down the purchases and actually play some games from this year.

Everything is good and everything is long this year, which is a problem. I’d love to check out Mass Effect and Nioh, but I don’t think they’ll make the cut

I’ve just jumped head-first into Torment: Tides of Numenera, and it’s taking up most of my time outside sessions of my first Nier: Automata playthrough and my second Hyper Light Drifter playthrough. And of course that’s only when my girlfriend isn’t devouring every bit of content in Horizon. There really is waaayyy too much good stuff to get through right now.

I think the only other games I’d consider adding to my backlog at this point is either The Surge or Nioh. I’d guess Nioh is the better of those two from what I’ve gathered, but would love to hear any and all feedback from those who have played both. Or maybe I’ll just let fate decided and grab the first one that goes on sale… :smirk:

I just restarted Horizon:ZD- I started it back when it came out but I was starting to find the combat frustrating, and then Zelda came out and I moved onto that. I’m playing Horizon on Easy this time and enjoying it a lot more!

The other big thing on my backlog is Nier D:

I think the only games I’ve bought so far this year are The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Etrian Mystery Dungeon.

That said, I’m not exactly lacking in terms of games to play. I do want to finally finish Mega Man Battle Chip Challenge at some point(that is, finish all six storylines).

Working on Tyranny right now, and then want to try and finally finish up Owlboy. I’ve also been wanting to do a deep dive back into RimWorld and The Long Dark, since both have had major updates recently.

Playing the free portion of Hitman.

Finally going to wrap up Mass Effect: Andromeda.

Been having trouble with willpower this year so gaming has been very difficult. Still, a couple games I plan to return to (other than Fire Emblem Heroes, which I play for a bit every day) include:

• Breath of the Wild: 70 shrines in and infrequently putting in more time.
  • Persona 5: just finished the 4th dungeon. I took a break for exams in May and struggling to get back into it mid-playthrough.
  • Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue: (best named game of all time!) Want to play the KH3 Prologue, and Aqua is one of my favourite characters.
  • Interested in trying Horizon Zero Dawn and Nier Automata at some point too.

Really hoping FFXII: Zodiac Age can knock some gaming energy back into me so I can get around to enjoying 2017 again.

For me it’s more like I’m working through my 2016 backlog. Right now it’s FFXV and Forza Horizon 3. 2017’s games will be here when I’m ready, why rush it?

Zelda’s the big one for me right now, but I feel like I have so many others half completed. I’m in that state of gamer’s block (couldn’t think of a better word) where I have so much to play I don’t know what to choose. Anyone want to make my decisions for me?

• Brigador
  • Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment
  • Tales of Berseria
  • Monument Valley
  • Invisible Inc.
  • Stellaris
  • GoNNER
  • SUPERHOT
  • The Turing Test
  • This is the Police
  • Way of the Samurai 4
  • Rebel Galaxy

I guess I should just give up on some of these… I need a push in the right direction.

Specter of Torment is (IMO) even better than Plague of Shadows, which was already excellent. It’s also only a couple hours commitment, so I heartily recommend it.

After I finished Yakuza 0, Nier Automata and Persona 5 I entered a kind of gamer funk. They were so good everything else seems lacking.
Maybe I’ll finish Horizon Zero Dawn. I lost steam while looking for collectibles and doing that dumb thing where you can’t figure out how to get up a mountain to a waypoint that always seems to happen in open world games.
Would very much like to play Zelda but don’t have a Switch.

This is the first year in a long time I’ve felt overwhelmed by all my unfinished games.

I have made a vow to finish the games I have started which I’ve never played before.
MGSV
RE7
Hitman
Watch Dogs 2
& Fallout 4 just to name a few.

Yet Crash is out next week and I don’t think I can postpone that.

My backlog is criminally overflowing, so I won’t count the games I haven’t started:

• Persona 5
  • Rise of the Tomb Raider
  • Hard West
  • The Witcher 3
  • Fallout 4
  • Mass Effect: Andromeda
  • The Swapper
  • Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Father
  • Herald
  • Kentucky Route Zero
  • Tales from the Borderlands
  • Life is Strange
  • Sunless Sea
  • Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse

I’m used to playing many, many games at the same time, but it was easier to keep that up when the control schemes were simple and the games I played were generally on one console rather than spread across three. With the latest additions from the Steam sale, this backlog will take me forever.

I love Shovel Knight to death, but I couldn’t get into Plague of Shadows. I feel like it was a tad too difficult for me. But Since I got Specter for free, might as well try!

@Roses I feel you about Plague of Shadows’ difficulty. I do think Specter of Torment is a bit easier, mainly due to Specter Knight’s scythe feeling closer to how Shovel Knight played rather than Plague Knight’s weird bomb based abilities. My opinion, but yeah, I recommend giving it a shot.

With Specter Knights diving mechanic I feel like I just cheesed the first boss! Like this so far.

Also I just finished SUPER HOT. Moving on!