It's Always Darkest Right Before Pitch-Black

It's Wednesday and that means Waypoints, where the site's staff and friends will bring something to share with each other and with you: a TV show, art exhibit, movie, album, or other thing from the universe of pop culture. to discuss, dissect, and enjoy.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/negk9m/its-always-darkest-right-before-pitch-black

I can see where Danielle is coming from. That fishing scene in the quiet place definitely uses the tired thing of dad taking son out and leaving daughter behind. Though to me it seemed like the reason the dad in this movie did it was mainly because he was terrified of taking her out due to the risk that her disability creates. The dad is portrayed throughout the film as being very cognizant of how she can’t tell when she is making loud noises and how risky it is for her and the family when she is out there.

That being said, it would have been nice for him to also realize that his caution was having a very negative effect on his daughter and that asking her to stay was the wrong decision to make.

What’s funny is that when watching the film, I read it as a criticism of the dad for perpetuating tired gender stereotypes even after the “fall”. I felt like it was presented as him being overprotective of his daughter and that it was meant to be read as a character flaw.

I just love the detail that Mark Zuckerberg is obsessed with Augustus. If I were writing him as a character I would think-twice about that detail because it would seem too on the nose. He’s like Ozymandias in the Watchmen comics, and just as arrogant.

I like how of all the figures Zuckerberg could choose between like Napoleon or Alexander the Great or whatever, he picks Augustus. Augustus who is notoriously mocked by historians for being sickly as a child and more conceiving than traditionally militarily strong. (Gibbon just outright calls him “cowardly”.) Plus there are all sorts of juicy sexual details like rumors that his wife Livia never allowed him to sleep with her, and his inability to control his daughter’s sexuality - a lot of running themes of immasculinity here.

Zuckerberg basically picked a Nerd Emperor. Somebody that everybody counted out or thought they could control and instead conquered “the world” (>_>).

Same. And him sacrificing himself at the end could be viewed as emblematic him accepting that he can’t be there to protect her anymore. (Though in actuality it was probably the only thing he thought he could do.) Like if he had figured out some way to save the day and survive then the movie would not be able to have been interpreted as having that criticism.

I’m surprised no one mentioned the ending, which was really shitty (and kind of ruined an otherwise OK movie) but had me dying laughing in the theatre. Or the fact they practically copy and pasted the Clicker sound effect from The Last of Us.