Jack Black's Unapologetically Metal 'Brutal Legend'

In this episode of Guide to Games, we praise Brutal Legend.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://video.vice.com/en_us/video/waypoint-guide-games-jack-black-brutal-legend/59234774b55f1b3c49212d94

maaan, I should probably finish this game. I got stuck at a part because I’m bad at RTSs it turns out.

It’s hard to explain exactly how metal this game actually is. Sure, you have Jack Black and Tim Curry, but you also get: Rob Halford, Lemmy Kilmister, Ozzy Osbourne, and Lita Ford. Four absolute legends in the metal world.

Then there is the soundtrack. Sweet merciful Satan, the soundtrack! You have your standards, Slayer, Black Sabbath, Ozzy, Motorhead. But you also get the inside baseball stuff. 3 Inches of Blood, Dimmu Borgir, Emperor, Skeletonwitch, Carcass, Enslaved, the list goes on and on.

The whole world looks like a Frank Frazetta painting come to life and I don’t think I love any game more than this one.

I didn’t love the RTS gameplay in this (I was expecting a heavy metal Zelda, which ended up coming out a few months later and was called Darksiders), but the game’s world was really fun to explore. I ended up hunting down most of the collectibles, which was incredibly fun since most of the collectibles were the soundtrack.

3 Inches of Blood!!! I saw them twice back in the day, once in a real crummy little venue where I was basically headbanging face-to-face with the lead singer. They were so good.