Judge Eyes: Phoenix Wright, but Yakuza?

The folks who make Yakuza announced their next game and it’s a crime drama about a defense lawyer who seems to follow the Phoenix Wright playbook of running his own investigation but in a considerably grittier setting. I’m extremely on board with the concept.

While the story trailer looks good I was a little concerned that it wasn’t going to have much of the classic Yakuza absurdity, but the gameplay trailer cleared that up for me. The fights are super over the top and there seems to still be a ton of minigames and junk. My guy does a kickflip and then kicks a guy in a car in the face. There is a VR Kamehameha in there too.

Looks really cool. I’m curious if the regular gameplay will include the judicious beating up of aggro dudes on the street which fills the plurality of Yakuza’s runtime. I’m guessing not since you’re ostensibly not a criminal, but what lives in that space instead?

EDIT: Just kidding; I only saw the story trailer before and didn’t realize there’s also a gameplay trailer. Looks like it’s straight up Yakuza except you’re an ex-lawyer with a black belt, with all the attendant mini-games, ridiculous substories, and action movie sensibility. I wonder if it’ll be set in the Yakuza universe.

Haha yep. I also saw the story trailer first and my impression sure changed after watching the gameplay trailer.

I think Yakuza does a really good job of having a ton of fun / goofy junk while not letting it undercut the serious main story, so I think they can pull of the balance.

I heard it’s set in Kamurocho, so I think it is in the Yakuza universe. However when I say I heard that what I really mean is I saw someone on a forum say that and I have no idea if it’s true or not.

I played the demo and I’m more excited for this now than I am for SHIN Yakuza. It’s absolutely set in Kamurocho, once you have it in your hands you’ll recognize the streets right away if you played Kiwami 2 or Yakuza 6.

I’m curious if people will burn out on the new engine’s version of Kamurocho in the US now that we’re getting the games relatively rapidly. Even when Yakuza 5 hit the US folks were already acting tired of 4.

The combat in this game is soooooo good. You have a power stance and a brawler stance and both are really fluid feeling. Like just much as Kiwami 2 improves over 6 this is a solid improvement over Kiwami 2, there’s more heat moves too and they did a great job making him feel different from the other playable characters int eh series which is impressive.

Glad to hear that from someone who played it. I, personally, am looking forward to a Yakuza Ginematic Universe.

Judge Eyes: Real Eyes Realise Real Lies

Please let there be a Phoenix Wright side quest Please let there be a Phoenix Wright side quest Please let there be a Phoenix Wright side quest Please let there be a Phoenix Wright side quest Please let there be a Phoenix Wright side quest Please let there be a Phoenix Wright side quest Please let there be a Phoenix Wright side quest Please let there be a Phoenix Wright side quest Please let there be a Phoenix Wright side quest.

I wonder, since they’re done with Kazuma’s story, if the plan is going forward to move into this for a bit - making for a sort of “Stories from Kamurocho” franchise.

Full Reactive Judge Eyes Entertainment

The story trailer had me intrigued but the demo sold me on this game. I’ve never been able to fully get into Yakuza (I’ve tried a bunch of them, starting with the first one on PS2, but 0 is the only one I can say I really got into) so that team putting their talents towards a story I’ll probably be more interested in has me excited. Nice that the gap between the Japanese and Western releases will probably be pretty small too.

I’m hoping this is the case, that whenever SHIN Yakuza hits those games can come out every few years like the regular series did, but that they feel more confidant about doing stuff like this in between.

Like my runtime isn’t 90% running my own cabaret club, please

This game definitely catches my attention. What deeply strikes me about going into Yakuza Kiwami and Kiwami 2 from 0 is how much interest the series plays to the police force. Far more attention feels like it is given to Makoto Date in Kiwami than it is to Kiryu in terms of character development and plot focus, which is a marked shift from 0 (which has a single named police officer and focuses much more on the inner workings of the different yakuza groups). I find this somewhat frustrating and is part of the reason why I had some difficulty following the story from 0 to Kiwami.

With that said, Project Judge/Judge Eyes will also simply give the Yakuza team a clean slate to work with. Rather than having to try to wrestle with some of the Yakuza series’ early clunkers (the out-of-nowhere ‘colour gangs’ that appear and disappear within a chapter in Kiwami is maybe some of the most jarring PS2-era content in that game), a clean slate means that team can take the experience they have learned over 7+ games of Yakuza and start out with a well-practiced writing team who know how to hit the tone they want.

If Yakuza 0 is what they were able to do by giving Yakuza a new foundation, that fresh start might just be enough to deliver a real home run performance.

The Yakuza series, aka the making of the ultimate dad

I do wonder if having a “good guy” main characters instead of a gangster is part of their attempt to give it wider appeal since they plan on releasing the games in the US/Korea/China now too. The type of show it’s aping is a pretty easy sell. Like how in the early 90s John Woo was getting some flak for always doing flicks that glorified gangsters, so he blessed us with Hard Boiled.

It would also probably be a lot easier to localize to three additional countries when they don’t have the general baggage of how the Yakuza series treats its non-Japanese gangsters. You can see how that series has evolved though, with the more recent releases making no bones about how horribly Japan treats its immigrants and how much that helps organized crime flourish.

You can tell there’s going to be a ton of fighting in this game due to his move set even in the demo but hopefully it’s more of a Shenmue II thing where it’s all story reasons or like side stuff you enter instead of just random dudes accosting you all day.

They can fill in the extra space from less combat with doing all the legwork to process the massive legal shitstorms that must come to pass any time Kiryu or Majima come to town. :smiley:

This game will include two rad Sega arcade games, Fighting Vipers and Motor Raid. Fighting Vipers totally owns. Motor Raid is a dark horse but is a pretty fun Road Rash style game.