Katawa Shoujo - A broken heart and disability

I’m curious if anyone here “played” the visual novel Katawa Shoujo.

It about a boy named Hisao Nakai, who life turned upside down when a congenital heart defect forces him to move to a new school after a long hospitalization. During his stay he encounters 5 other girls who help him on his journey to heal and possibly find love. The game was made by a group of 4Chan users who were interested in making the game after a Japanese artiest made this image

It took them over 5 years to complete and asked for no money other than a donations run to helping make physical copies in Japan. It very well made and it pretty respectful for the subject matter. Give it a try since it free to download the whole game. https://www.katawa-shoujo.com/
Disclaimer: The visual novel isn’t rated but if it was it would be AO do to the sex scene so just a heads up.

And this is exactly the reason why I have zero interest in ever playing it.

Understandable but what they made is pretty on par with the top visual novels and it doesn’t go for anything nasty other then sex scenes.

i never thought i would see a thread on this game in twenty-gosh-darn-seventeen. this thing sucked in 2012 when it came out, i can’t even imagine how bad it is now

I’ve seen a lot on how the devs treated the subject matter with a lot of care, but,

You’d think if that were the case they’d have picked a name that didn’t translate roughly to “Cripple Girls”

Yeah this is basically my feelings. I played through it about… Four time? And each route just compounded on how much I felt like the devs were fetishising these (underage, worth noting) girls disabilities. Like there’s no one thing I can point to to exemplify it but it’s just… That vibe was there the whole time.

Also some of the routes do get uh… Kinda rapey? Which just makes it worse.

Don’t hold me to this, but I’m pretty sure all of the characters are eighteen?

Hi there!

The game and its content mentioned is problematic as well as the opening post being written in a way that we don’t think encourages good faith discussion, as it asks for other people’s takes before providing one. With that said, we gave it a lot of consideration, trying to weigh the benefits of having a discussion about this topic based on redirecting the focus in several different ways, but could find no satisfying conclusion that would make this any less uncomfortable to those reading it–and for that we are going to close this thread.

Thanks for understanding!
Nicole