Lead the Armies of Death in This Macabre Monochrome Strategy Game

Strategy games are built around a fantasy that we can be the big, bright minds that direct some little corner of the world. By navigating civilizations, armies, or individual zerglings, I can get this thrill of making and enacting a plan all of my own design that gets me toward some kind of win state. Death Crown takes this to a wild-ass, bizarro extreme by allowing me to play as the very concept of Death that is pursuing a jovial king who just refuses to die.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/bvgny4/lead-the-armies-of-death-in-this-macabre-monochrome-strategy-game
3 Likes

Well…

Now I have to play this.

1 Like

For anyone curious, here’s the screenshot from the article

This game has such a neat look!

7 Likes

play as the very concept of Death that is pursuing a jovial king who just refuses to die.

I really didn’t need to hear any more than this. I’m all in on Death Crown now.

Edit: It’s on itch. Yay!

PSA, the itch desktop client doesn’t seem to let you download anything directly other than the demo, but you can download the full game at the link provided in the purchase email

1 Like

I beat this little gem this afternoon. What a cool game! I hit a wall in the campaign that made me go actually practice to get the mechanics down.

I really love the music and art style too.

I’ve been playing off and on as a happy chill game, and I’m down to what I think is the last couple of battles as Death. I really love the stripped down tactics of this married to a perfect aesthetic. It definitely got harder when the 5 skull battle start showing up, which was weirdly welcome.