32 gb ddr3
1080ti
SSD for games, HDD for storage
1440P 144hz g-sync monitor

i7 3770
8 GB RAM
GTX 750 Ti
1TB 7200 RPM HDD

I basically slapped a 750Ti into a prebuilt and it’s served me well for the most part, but it’s starting to struggle a little more with new AAA releases such as Dishonored 2. For the most part, I’m able to play pretty much everything at Medium settings.

i5 6500
GTX 1060 6GB
16GB RAM
1TB HDD

I got this pc in february 2017 after struggling to play games on my old laptop. I can now play pretty much any new game at high settings and still get 60fps, and I can work my screenshot magic without lag. It’s been worth every cent so far.

I’m thinking about knocking up a (relatively) cheap gaming Pc just so I can get at the games I can’t get on my Ps4 (Battlegrounds, Ori, Dead Cells… are some recent examples of thing kind of stuff I have in mind), and need some processor advice.

I was going to go for a Intel G4560/G4600, but someone mentioned that and i5 might be a better shout despite being a bit more expensive as it would leave me more open to upgrading my GPU (probably going to go for a 1050ti?) in the future without ripping the rest of my computer apart. Is this the case or should I just stick with the G4600? OR should is scrap the whole plan and get a different processor?

Not got much experience in messing with computer stuff in the last 10 years or so so any help would be cool!

I’m a bit out of the loop when it comes to current hardware, but I kinda want to advice you to go for a decent i5 to get some more years out of your PC. I prioritize a good CPU over a good GPU in my PC. That said, there seems to be a fairly large pricegap between the G-series processor and i5 processors… So, budget?

To paint a picture, I built my PC in early 2012 for around €800 (PC tower + Windows. Monitor and peripherals excluded) and spent roughly €300 on upgrades. Let’s say totaling €1200, just shy of what is currently $1400. Quite a sum of money, yes, but I’m also still using that PC in 2017. Some newer games look a bit shit on that PC, yet they’re very playable and generally hitting 60fps. Here’s what I have:

Intel i5 2500K (OC @ 4.0ghz) - was originally 3.3ghz
Nvidia GTX 770 (2GB VRAM) - was originally an Nvidia GTX560ti (1GB VRAM)
4x4GB DDR3 (1600MHZ) - was originally 2x4GB

So, the pointers I’d give:

• good CPU + motherboard for a solid foundation
  • don’t skimp out on the power supply unit, a cheapo power supply can wreck your PC
  • buy a decent GPU based on what you expect to play right now, since the GPU is relatively(!) easy and cheap to replace later on

It’s tough to outright recommend specific parts, because I have my very own specific wants and needs for my PCs. So, here are my biases: I want my PCs to last min. four years, I prefer to game at 60fps, I am okay with lowering graphics settings in favor of performance, I have very little experience with AMD hardware, I have never used pre-built PCs for gaming.

I only say all this, because: Battlegrounds. Battlegrounds is a resource hog. It may get better, it may not. Who knows. It may also come to PS4 eventually. If you’re expecting to mostly play games like Deadcells, Ori, etc. and will only use the PC on the side, maybe you don’t need it to last and maybe that G4600 + 1050ti is a very solid choice. An i5 could be overkill and a waste of money. (pointers as listed above still stand, “good” CPU depends on your wants/needs)

Thanks for reading all that. I am not good at being concise. - Also: I simply like PC gaming, but I am in no way an expert. More like a dabbling hobbyist.

Thanks for that! super helpful.

Mostly it’s the future proofing element, keeping it going for a couple of years seems like a good idea (especially as at the moment I am happy to play big more stereotypically power-heavy stuff on my PS4 because I like sitting on the couch etc, but I’m unsure how i’ll feel about that in a year/two) so spending extra now to have that good base seems like a solid idea.

It is significantly more expensive, so it’s hard to judge. I’m assuming it’s not as possible to swap the processor out if I want to upgrade? Compared the GPU etc.

Windows 10 64-bit
core i5-4690k @ 3.5
16GHz ram
AMD R9 295X2
512GB ssd (samsung evo 850)
2TB hdd

one of these days i should oc that processor but haven’t needed to yet

It is significantly more expensive, so it’s hard to judge. I’m assuming it’s not as possible to swap the processor out if I want to upgrade? Compared the GPU etc.

It’s possible to swap a CPU, bit it’ll require more research, effort and money. You have to consider the socket your motherboard has. E.g. my motherboard has the LGA 1155 socket, I can only use older CPUs that would fit in there. Those are still expensive and don’t really offer a worthwhile performance boost. What that means is: if you choose a decent CPU at time you build your PC, you don’t really ever need to swap a CPU. Because all the “newer” CPUs that fit into that PC are still expensive and net only a small performance gain.

To oversimplify it:
PC with weak CPU and strong GPU, want to replace the CPU? Required: knowledge, money, time and effort.
PC with weak GPU and strong CPU, want to replace the GPU? Required: money.
And money will in both cases probably be around the €/$200 area.

Let’s say you do get that Intel G4600. It has an LGA 1151 socket. That means you could eventually swap it out for any CPU that fits into that socket (e.g. i5 6600/7600, i7 6700/7700). Those are all much more powerful, but their prices will likely stay roughly where they’re at. What about newer, upcoming CPUs? They may be using an entirely different socket. That’s not gonna fit. You’re not going to save any money by picking a cheaper CPU from the start if you have any future proofing and playing games in mind.
If you go with a i5 6600 or 7600 right away, you’re probably sticking with it and not even going to bother looking at an i7. All you have to worry about is getting a new GPU at some point? Swap/add RAM? Perhaps add an SSD? All optional.

And again, the G4600 is flippin’ great. Good value for money. It’s just… I dunno, not my choice for a gaming PC I’d want to last a little while and enjoy upcoming games with?

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html CTRL+F a CPU name
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/high_end_gpus.html for GPU
Those provide a rough estimate for comparing performance of different parts. They’re not exactly ‘real world’ performance charts, some parts do better in certain games than others. That’s just PC gaming. Still useful.

https://pcpartpicker.com/ - for choosing parts that work with eachother. That could save you some trouble with figuring out which CPU fits in what motherboard and the RAM it is compatible with.

I’ll end this by saying to not take my advice as your only advice. Just keep asking around and searching the Internet for more information.

Thanks for the advice, I probably will end up spending the extra on a better processor, long lift in the PC seems worth it.

Would you recommend Intel or AMD?

GPU was I was thinking 1050ti which seems like it should have me covered for a while if i’m not playing anything too high end?

I don’t have enough experience with AMD hardware to compare them to Intel. All I can say is that I know I’ve been happy with my Intel CPUs.

The 1050ti seems like a good value for money choice. Unless there’s a really good AMD GPU alternative in the same price range, the next step up (from Nvidia) may cost too much for it to be worth the extra money.
And even though I don’t own a 1050ti, according to benchmarks the raw performance of the 1050ti and GTX 770 (which I have) are roughly equivalent. If you’re planning on gaming at 1080P and are happy to to adjust the more demanding games to medium* settings, the 1050ti sounds good.

Not sure if the numbers in this comparison mean much to you, but the 1050ti looks tempting… That low, low power consumption. Hmmmm…
http://www.videocardbenchmark.net/compare.php?cmp[]=3595&cmp[]=2531
(also: I didn’t pay $500 for my GPU, I paid <$300. Older hardware gets weird with prices)

*Medium settings are great and nothing to scoff at. Ever since 2007-ish most PC games look fantastic on medium. Higher settings generally only add lots of finer detail.

I tend to use this guide for a tier list of gpus GPU tier list and this for a tier list of cpus CPU tier list this way you can get an idea of what is around what between companies. Then just find the deal you want.

I’ve been running a quite an old pc for a while now. I’ve been meaning to upgrade it but between me playing less graphic intensive games and it holding up generally well I haven’t really got around to it sort of upgrading my GPU about a year back.

Intel core 2 quad q6600 @3.0ghz
8gb crucial ballistic ddr3 ram
Nvidia GTX 750ti ( upgraded from a 9500gt)
1tb WD blue hard drive
Some gigabyte mother board I can’t remember the name of.

Wow, I’m quite impressed that a Core2 (even the quad-core version) has been holding up ok (even with less graphically intensive modern games). Over a decade is reasonably impressive just for something holding on (and none of the capacitors on the motherboard popping), especially with a meaty 105 Watt TDP.

Yeah same, it’s quite impressive what you can get away with when it comes down to running games on the lowest setting and at resolution a touch lower than 1080p. I think the processor has seen somewhere around 7/8 year use and motherboard and ram being around 5 years old. It was originally a pre built that I upgraded so I could overclock it and get a few more years use out of it.

• 2x Asus VS247H-P 24" 2ms / HDMI / DVI-D / D-Sub
• Cooler Master PowerSupply (PSU) V750S 750W
• Corsair Hydro H90 CPU Cooler
• Corsair Obsidian 550D - Black
• Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 Windforce 3X 4GB
• Samsung 840 EVO Series SSD 250GB SATA3
• Seagate Intern Harddrive Barracuda 2TB (64MB / 7200RPM)
• Corsair Vengeance Low Profile 16GB DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MHz (CML16GX3M2A1600C9) (2x8GB)
• ASUS Z97-A - ATX / Z97
• Intel Core i7-4790K - 8 threads / 4,0GHz (4,4Ghz Turbo) / 8MB / Socket 1150 (Boxed) (88w)

This was the first computer I ever built. It’s a couple of years old at this point but still runs very smoothly.
Also have a question for y’all. If I were to upgrade my main monitor, what would be a good option? (mid tier price class)
Also some other tips with incremental upgrades would be appreciated.

My desktop has and does serve me well, it’s been upgraded a few times since I built in back around 2010-11.
Runs pretty much any modern game at High or Ultra resolution effortlessly hitting the 60fps mark, I feel pretty good about it, even if it doesn’t have something as powerful as a 1080ti in there.

Since conception I’ve gotten a few new video cards for it (from a gtx540 to a 760 to my current gtx970) and a good Corsair water-cooler. Very recently upgraded from an 8-core AMD FX-8150 to the new Ryzen 7 series CPU, which also prompted a new motherboard and RAM.

Specs:
Asus Prime X370-Pro motherboard
Ryzen 7 1800X 8-core AMD CPU
8gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4-RAM
MSI Nvidia Geforce GTX 970 video card
Corsair H60 watercooling
Corsair HX 1050W power supply
and a pretty spacious Cooler Master case with dumb LED lights to hold it all together.

i7-4790K
GTX980
250gbSSD
1tbHD
8g DDR3

Does anyone in here have a pre-built PC? I’m looking to get something more powerful than my surface pro 2 for gaming/game dev but I do not want to build anything myself.

What are my options?

Depending where you are, Amazon seem to be an ok spot for finding enterprising people who buy cheap parts and assemble them into an affordable gaming system. Some of the sites that sell parts also have assembly options so you can pick exactly what you want/need (or get a friend to tell you some great options) and they’ll put it all together and make sure it works before shipping it.

You can also go to any of the big assemblers (Dell etc) and get a system from them, but sometimes that’s rather expensive and you end up paying for a system that seems unbalanced (like having to pay for an i7 when actually an i5 or even an overclocked Pentium with a mid-range GPU is how to build a good budget gaming system and they simply don’t offer those sort of combinations).

Right now budget systems should come with at least an overclocked Pentium (G4560) or Ryzen 3/5 and something like an RX 470/570 or GTX 970/1060 (you can drop lower and have a gaming system that’ll still be a lot better than your Surface Pro 2 but those are some pretty good desktop GPUs that still don’t break the bank - assuming you can navigate around the cryptomining supply shortages). When you know what you want (which is mainly a function of your budget) then you can narrow down to which assemblers are offering something about what you’d want and compare prices.

On the note of CPUs, Intel is months away from completely revamping their desktop lines after years of incremental changes. The expectations/rumours are cheaper CPUs (i3) will double how much you’re getting for the same price (a move already announced for i5/i7 laptops) and the premium mainstream CPUs (i5/i7) will add 50% more (going up to 6 cores). So now is probably not an ideal time to be shopping for an Intel-based desktop as what you get for your money is about to jump. But AMD have already released all their Ryzen CPUs which basically are what has forced Intel to increase how many cores they’re offering.

Edit: TBH, as game dev can involve attaching debuggers and running stuff before optimisation, I’d lean on looking to push your budget higher than the absolute minimum (Ryzen 7 1700 seems nice, 16GB RAM is recommended but 32GB would be nice, at least for the sort of dev work I do). So take my budget recommendations with a grain of salt unless cash is very short (or you’re doing dev work that doesn’t have high system requirements) when it comes to CPUs. Either way, it’s still going to be a very noticeable step up from the i5-4200U you’ve currently got.

Thanks for the info!

Any thoughts on Alienware or Origin PC??