Let's get a PC specs thread going!

Alienware is the sticker Dell put on their more expensive systems. Origin is where the Alienware executives moved to when they sold their company to Dell. But I’ve not really heard that much about either.

TBH, I’d work out what you want in the box first and then pick the group who assemble it second based on who does good prices for what you want. Although companies as big as Dell do get their own custom parts (rather than buying an off-the-shelf motherboard from one of the big 4 manufacturers), they are still paying for someone else to actually make the thing you’re buying. So really it’s best to decide what you want and which manufacturing companies you’re going to trust to have good quality control first and then look for who puts a sticker on the box at the end once assembled based on price and warranty offering.

CPU: i5-4590@3.30Ghz
Video Card: GTX 970
RAM: 8GB DDR5
Storage: 240GB SSD, 2TB HDD
DIsplay: 23.8" 1080p LG Monitor, 42" Insignia HDTV
Accessories: Wireless Logitech M&K, Xbox One Wireless Adapter, Xbox 360 Wireless Adapter

I built my rig in early 2015 and it’s been fantastic (a review of the experience can be found here). I don’t see myself upgrading anytime soon as the system can still play most things at 1080p/60fps with mid-to-high settings. Still, the jump to something like the GTX 1080 remains mighty tempting…

I don’t know how prevalent these services are in your country but here in Norway there’s a computer retailer who will put together a pc for you with the parts you specify, they also have recommended builds that they’ll still build for you, so if I were you I would check and see if there’s anything like that in your area.
You might have to pay a little extra for assembly but it’s nice to be able to fully customize.
My brother did this, but I assembled mine myself; I think it’s a fun process, and honestly not a difficult endeavour.

Wanted to go for a budget AM4 setup

Ryzen 3 1200@3.64 Ghz
GTX 1050
2x Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4 2400 4GB

900p on mid-high + AA looks quite good on my 1080p Dell U2417H so I’m in no need to get something better yet.

Hey everyone! I was thinking of starting a PC enthusiast/troubleshooting/advice thread, but I guess there already is one! Excellent :slight_smile:

Here’s my baby:
Fractal Design R5 case
i7 6700K stock
Noctua NH-D15
Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI
16Gb DDR4-3000
MSI GTX 1080 Armor
500Gb SSD + 7Tb of HDDs

Click to show pic

Built most of it last year and upgraded a few things at the start of the summer. Hadn’t built a PC myself in a long time before that, it was really great to get back into it :smiley:

The PC gaming/building/tweaking/buying thread [Possibly image heavy]

Because of my friend helping me help a friend out with replacing his GPU, and semi-recently because of money issues, my GPU upgrade path has been actually ridiculous since 2015 (R9 290X to R9 Fury to RX Vega 64). But this is where I have ended up now:

AMD RX Vega 64 (stock)
Intel i5-4690k (was overclocked but haven’t done it again since replacing my PSU) with a
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
1 TB Seagate 7200RPM HDD
1 TB Western Digital 7200RPM HDD
1 TB SanDisk Ultra SSD
16GB DDR3-2133 CAS11
ASRock z97 Anniversary
EVGA 850W G3
NZXT Source 210 Elite

If i didn’t also replace my PSU and RAM and get new drives at the same time, my current GPU would be over half of the cost of my entire build.
When I originally built it, I (kind of unfortunately) decided to cheap out quite a bit on every part that wasn’t the CPU or GPU. I had some standards, for instance I made sure I was getting a PSU that wouldn’t set my house on fire, but even that was a PSU that was unrated for efficiency.

Hey again, I just got the go ahead from a mod to post the PC gaming/building/troubleshooting/advice thread I mentioned earlier, so if anyone wants to come over and chat about PC hardware and gaming or ask for advice with the same, it’ll be up in a few minutes :slight_smile:

E: it’s up!

Nothing fancy, but my gaming rig is…

R7 1700X
32GB Ripjaws
MSI Gaming Pro Carbon
RX 480
Intel 540 240GB SSD
OCZ 480GB SSD
Hitachi 3TB HHD
21:9 LG monitor

Nice, my type of thread.

My gaming rig:
Intel 6700k @ 4.5ghz
Noctua D15 (awesome cooler)
MSI Gaming X 1070 @ 2050mhz (ish)
Corsair 16GB 3000MT/s CL15 ram
Acer XB270HU monitor (1440p, 144hz, ips gsync)
1TB Samsung 960 Evo
EVGA 750W G2
Phanteks Enthoo Pro

and some other junk, but those are the highlights.

Also have a work rig built around a Ryzen 7 1700 and a 250GB 960 Evo in a Fractal Design Define C case, but I won’t bother with the specs on that one.

I haven’t really upgraded anything for a while but it’s still going strong (looking forward to Destiny 2 tonight!)

Intel i7 4770k
Asus AMD R9 290x
Asus Maximus VI Hero
16GB RAM
Various storage (5TB HDDs, 1.25TB SSDs)

Lots of the parts are getting kind of old but there’s nothing available that seems like a good upgrade for good value so I’m happy for now.

I have an MSI Stealth Pro:

i7 6700HQ
GTX 1060
16GB DDR4
128GB SSD, 2TB HDD

Had to opt for the 4K panel which was annoying as it seems overkill for a screen that size and a lot of programs don’t play nice. Plus the 1060 can’t really do 4K gaming so it’s pointless, I end up just going 1080p.

My PC is okay
R9 Fury
16GB DD3
500GB SSD, 3TB HDD

Not in any rush to update anything

Let’s see. I’m not on my computer, but this is going off of memory…

• Intel i5 7600K 3.8GHz
  • EVGA GTX 970
  • 16GB Corsair LPX DDR4 2111MHz (Default clock speed is 2666MHz, but current BIOS on board are causing issues, so have it set to default currently)
  • MSI Z270-A PRO Motherboard

I also have several HDD, though no SSDs as of right now. Both are Western Digital drives, one being 2TB, and the other be 1TB (which I split for Operating System and General Storage).

I do need to replace the Power Supply in my system, though, as it is starting to get up there in years. Just need to set aside the money for it.

Right now I’m on a 3570k, 980ti and horribly slow 8GB of 1333Mhz RAM because the other 8GB broke.

Ordered a 8700k and 16GB DDR4 which should get me back on track for the forseeable future.

Excited to see how CEMU and Coffee Lake run BotW because Ivy Bridge is clearly not up to the task.

I have now replaced the CoolerMaster (CM 690 II) case, as it was ugly and there was a sale on computer stuff, I now have a white Phanteks p400s and it looks real good, very angular and sleek. It also runs much more silently, but then again it’s missing a couple of fans, so I might move one over if it starts heating up too badly.

I don’t know, have anyone had temperature trouble with 1 basic front mounted case fan, a cpu watercooler, and built in 970 gpu fans?

Fractal Design R4
Intel i5 4670k
EVGA GTX 970
Asus Z87-Pro Motherboard
12 GB RAM DDR3 2133 (Was 16 GB, but one stick died, and I haven’t gotten around to replacing it)

Works decently for most games, though I could really use a GPU upgrade for VR and 4k.

A couple of years old now, apart from the graphics card.

What to do if forgetting the login password Windows 10? Any one know if this is a good option? Thanks

Mine is hilariously lopsided but I’m able to play most newer games pretty alright

i5-2300 @2.8
6GB DDR3
GTX 1050 Ti

I’ve put off upgrading the processor for so long, had it since 2011.

I have…

Ryzen 1700X

MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon

32GB Ripjaws Z 3200 (running at 2666)

PowerColor Red Devil RX 480

Intel 540 240GB SSD

Hitachi Ultrastar 3TB HDD

I built two of these back when Ryzen launched. My wife is a graphic designer. So, I really build her a productivity PC and then built a second that can be cannibalized in the event hers has any issues.