Lets talk about KPOP

the new red velvet album slaps so damn hard.

kpop album of the year

I’m totally in agreement - did my K-pop toty list a few days ago and RV really took the thing over after a while

if anyone is interested x

Happy new year, peeps

What do you all think of the comebacks so far this year? I’m really loving Red Velvet’s Bad Boy, and I like Run It, even though it’s basically a Nike ad. I’m happy for Sunmi’s comeback as well, despite the controversy. And Hyolyn has a solo release out now!

As for the future, I look forward to what EXID will do (i hope solji can comeback soon), and CLCs next comeback.

Also…Bboom Bboom by Momoland keeps getting stuck in my head, and it’s such a weird song? But catchy?

I haven’t really been listening to much new outside of Chungha’s Roller Coaster, Sunmi’s Heroine, and RV’s Bad Boy. All of which I’ve enjoyed a whole lot. Heroine is really triumphant-sounding and catchy, and the whimsicality of Gashina’s switch-up choreography made a welcome return. Roller Coaster is a grower. And Bad Boy is really about to push RV to 2M followers on Spotify with a jump of like ~500K.

Apparently The Unit just ended so that’s two new groups to expect releases from this year. I’m not quite sure yet what that’ll mean for groups like Sonamoo, DIA, and Laboum, though. They’ll either go the NU’EST W route and keep promoting with one missing member or the WJSN/Gugudan route and have their members work double duty.

I really like the new Red Velvet and Sunmi, but I’m incredibly bad about keeping up on new stuff so I’m sure a lot of good stuff will slip through the cracks until late in the year.

Meanwhile I’ve been obsessed with EXO’s Power and TWICE’s Heart Shaker, even something really old like Bonamana.

Boss just dropped and it just immediately feels more accessible to me than Cherry Bomb was.

Bboom Bboom instantly grabbed me, it’s so catchy. The live version is definitely even wilder because of them yelling “GREAT!” at certain intervals between lines. But I love it to bits, really got me into Momoland.

2017 was an incredible year for K-pop, but 2018 has started out really strong too. Y’all have mentioned a lot of the big new releases already (Heroine, Bad Boy, Roller Coaster) but I’ve also been loving a bunch of others.

BoA’s Nega Dola is definitely my current favourite, BoA’s absolutely still got it and it’s catchy as heck. Cait Sith from Gugudan is fantastic as well; Chococo Factory was always going to be tough to follow but they did a fantastic job. I also got super into Oh My Girl recently, so I’ve been enjoying their latest album, Secret Garden, a fair bit even if it isn’t quite as stuck in my head as the whole of Windy Day still is.

Jimin continues to be my fav with the release of Hey, Moonbyul’s vocals blew me away in Mamamoo’s Paint Me and TWICE’s Candy Pop is a delight, though it bucks the trend of me liking each of their releases even more than the last. Definitely still a ton of fun, however!

Special shout out to Amber & Luna’s Lower, which came out right at the start of the year and is well worth checking out, I think it’s something quite a few people might have missed out on but it’s spectacular.

Yeah, the “GREATTTTT” part is good. JooE is fun.

Nega Dola is catchy, but I have some reservations about some of the hairstyles she sports in the music video…She was on Weekly Idol and mentioned that she wanted to go with more hip hop style this time, which I thought was interesting, because even if most of her music leans more pop, a lot of it still seems to be influenced by hip hop.

I like hearing Moonbyul sing! I’m interested to see their comeback this month.

I’m glad at least half of f(x) got to do something! :upside_down_face:
(really do like the song tho)

I’m liking these new Mamamoo tracks a lot; Star Wind Flower Sun is lovely but Starry Night is definitely the standout for me. The MV is absolutely gorgeous, too. These 2018 releases from Mamamoo have definitely been on the more laid-back, vocals driven side than their more upbeat pop tracks of last year, but I’m still really enjoying them. All four of them have some of the strongest vocals around.

Y’all speak dem Hangukmal in here? Also, are we allowed to talk about Korean hip-hop here or is it strictly KPOP?

Also Nega Dola is dope as fuck.

That Mamamoo track is nice. Not sure about their back catalogue tho.

LUNA is the damn goat

Amber’s dropping a mixtape, Luna’s got a new solo on the way, Krystal’s landed another acting gig, and Ms. Song is off doing whatever endless work there is to do in China. While a new f(x) release still eludes us to this day, at least lunber are gracing our ears with that new stuff. ;;

Twice’s What Is Love is highly inoffensive in the same way Heart Shaker was, really leaning into a more dynamically evened out(???) take on the Twice sound. It definitely sounds like a sequel to Heart Shaker for better or worse. Predictably a mashup of the two songs just sounds like one song. I love it, though. It’ll probably get more plays out of me before I get fatigued.

I also recently got really hooked on iKON’s Love Scenario after BoA’s One Shot, Two Shot. These tunes are criminally infectious.

@mundanesoul speaking of hip hop, San E and Mad Clown dropped another colorful collab (I swear everyone has swapped their la la las for oh na na nas now. Looking at you, SuJu!), and Tiger JK has dropped his final single as Drunken Tiger.

ever since I watched Make Your Move, I can’t stop seeing BoA as the biggest dance-nerd. It’s apparent in this video, she seems to love the idea of circumstances in which Dance is the best medicine. I think that’s adorable.

Anyway, I came to post this awesome choreography

The actual MV does a diservice to the choreography as does the camera changes on the live performances.
This looks great as a single, continuous shot.

For anyone out there heartbroken about the career The Ark never got to have, I found this cute video of four of the girls reuniting to dance to Love Scenario. Additionally, Euna and Minju are getting back together as a duo under the name KHAN. I’m just hoping they don’t get screwed over this time.

Wanna B was my first K-pop group, I found them accidentally. They were so unconfident while ago. but now, look at them. And the MV plot really funny and entertaining:
https://youtu.be/w_cYV97Zp4k

:fish: A true MamaVelvet collaboration.

:sneezing_face: The return! It’s gonna be hard not to think of SES with that title.