Let's Talk About Steven Universe

(aaand time for me to stop clicking spoilers until I’m entirely caught up, lmao)
Garnet was my favourite early on. She had the most faith in Steven, and the slight cracks in her Cool Mysterious Vibe were nice?
I don’t know when exactly Pearl became my favourite. Around Coach Steven maybe? That was a very good Pearl episode. I forget quite how quickly we watched through the first season or so, I don’t know how quickly this change came about.

Amethyst is a very me character in terms of how she acts casually, how she is in arguments, and how her deep-seated insecurities are handled. Seeing someone like her on screen did me a lot of good.

It cracks me up that in the Golden Age of Television™, my two favorite shows are 15-minute Cartoon Network series.

What do you guys think of the shift from the episodic format to the serial format of the past season? On the one hand, I thought the episodic format lent itself to more left-field storytelling, like Adventure Time. On the other hand, the series is more grounded and linear than Adventure Time, with more of a central story that needs to wrap up some time before the series is over.

Steven Universe has meant so much to me I can’t even put it into words without getting emotional. And while it’s a hard pick, as in I love all of them so much, it’s Garnet (link contains s1 spoiler).

What’s people’s opinions about he latest bomb? I thought the episodes were pretty good, but less lore than I was expecting. Setting up the one hour special is pretty exciting. If found myself more interested in the Human Zoo storyline from earlier. Having Blue and Yellow Dimond talking to reach other was really cool.

One Hour Special Promo:

love, Love, LOVE this show. :cry: It means so much to see the diversity and trope swapping this show loves to do. There’s just so much right that this show gets, and it leaves me feeling that the next generation of kids might be ok. :slight_smile:

I saw the pool. Was like I’ve got this just pick my favorite gem. Garnet of course. But wait Pearl is so good though she has the best character arc. Amethyst is super fun and Tiger Philantropist is the episode that hooked me on the show. Peridot is best girl. Lapis though she’s blue and I adore her personality. This is too hard. I can’t choose out of my perfect rock babies.

Steven Universe might have the strongest cast around.

The imagination on display in SU is incredible. It’s a show I wish would have been around when I was growing up. I know I would have been completely obsessed with it as a kid. Watching it makes me feel the same way I did when I woke up for saturday morning cartoons when I was 8 or 9. Awesome stuff.

Lapis is super cool. I’m also super behind on episodes…haven’t seen anything past the thanksgiving special.

Steven Universe makes me cry and it’s very good.

I’ve sort of fallen out of touch with the whole theory community so I’m assuming there’s some major throughlines that I’ve just not been noticing (Like how they were teasing the diamonds from like the first episode?).

This is probably my favorite show. I love the songs, the characters, the refreshing art-style, the slice of life stories, the deepest lore, and just how amazing everything (aside from the schedule) go together.

Really hope Cartoon Network doesn’t screw SU with the awkward schedules.

Also, it’s got some of the best fanart out there. I’m almost certain that the Bad Pearl fanart influenced her look in my favorite episode.

I think it’s safe to avoid the theory community… :cry:

Those communities always seem to hype theories and then get disappointed whenever it’s never expained to their liking.

lmao the endless rose is pink diamond nonsense it’s a nightmare

I always go looking for cute fanart and get dragged into reading Opinions and Theory and urgh someone save me from myself

anyway double post here’s a p basic design I did of Rainbow Quartz: Steven Edition

chakram is circular shield plus spear blade. ‘boomerang blade’.

I’m way behind on SU - just finished up “Season 1” on Hulu (which feels like it should be Seasons 1 & 2, but whatever).

A thought occurred to me as I was getting choked up, once again, at one of the episodes (“I STILL WANT TO BE FRIENDS!!”). Follow me a little here…

Jim Valvano was a basketball coach at North Carolina State University. In 1993, after he had been diagnosed with cancer that would take his life just 2 months later, he gave a speech at ESPN’s awards show, the ESPYs. The whole speech is legendary, and you should watch it because it’s made infinitely better by his Long Island Italian accent, but I thought of this part in particular:

To me, there are three things we all should do every day. We should do this every day of our lives. Number one is laugh. You should laugh every day. Number two is think. You should spend some time in thought. And number three is, you should have your emotions moved to tears, could be happiness or joy. But think about it. If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that’s a full day. That’s a heck of a day.

Steven Universe pretty much manages to pull this off every 12 minutes.

I… I think Steven Universe might be the best show ever created.

I’m really behind on Steven Universe (only seen up to Peridot joining the crew) but it’s my pick for the absolute best of all anime-inspired shows in the US. You see the clear influences in there (Utena, a bit of Miyazaki, etc.) but they’re integrated in such a way that it transcends pastiche and just works.

I think its father Adventure Time has more range as a show simply because its structure and universe allows for more bizarre one-offs? But it’s hard for me to think of another series as consistently good as this one. Jeez!

Honestly there’s only like, a couple episodes I could honestly say I don’t really like which is pretty impressive given how many there are at this point

Let’s not get too hasty here. Avatar: The Last Airbender is also a masterful anime inspired American show. Steven Universe is really amazing. But it is near impossible to make a quality argument between the two. They are both so good and different it’s a real apples to oranges comparison.

The official soundtrack finally got released! Sadly but understandably this means aivi+surasshu took everything including lil ambient tracks down from their soundcloud. It’s been a while but I somehow forgot how fucking good Deedee Magno Hall is. Still wish some of these tracks were just a liiiiiittle bit longer but obviously it’s all from a cartoon broadcast in 10 minute episodes so I guess I’ll just wistfully gaze into the distance.

S5 chat: awuhhhhh auhhh??? fuckin RIP lars??? Rose Quartz can turn dead things into transdimensional conduits into a fuckin??? asphyxiating hair world???

Great show. Tiger Millionare was the episode that won me over.

the close-up of Lars’ face at the end “I love you tiger millionaire” had me laughing so much, and I still don’t entirely know why

I think honestly I was sold as early as Laser Light Cannon. I’m easy. Greg’s embarrassment and Steven’s enthusiasm as they listen to Let Me Drive My Van Into Your Heart was delightful.

s5: laaaaaaars honestly I thought they might fuse but I’m not disappointed they didn’t. here’s a gif, the cause of my death