Let's Talk About The Star War

Yeah, Star Wars (with the occasional Clone Wars scene as exception) has never really done a great job putting in perspective what it means for Anakin/Vader to be as powerful as he is. Obi-Wan’s already a pretty serious contender so their fights look pretty even. When you see Vader exercise raw power like he did this past episode, against people who aren’t Jedi Masters, it’s like “Oh, right, the Chosen One”

1 Like

Yeah, also a certain sequence in a recent videogame (Fallen Order) did an excellent job of really selling just why Vader is such a big deal.

Actually, my one gripe with Rogue One is that I really think that Vader shouldn’t have appeared until that scene.

1 Like

With time, I’m more impressed with the story of that game. The whole conversion of young jedi to sith inquisitor is really fucked and would be the basis of a great story/character in a new star wars thing. Your raised one way, which is already a little suspect to be turned into something even worse.

1 Like

So, that’s Obi-Wan finished…

Episode 6 was always going to go a certain way, since we know what A New Hope looks like and the rest of the series also followed a classic pattern, so Reva having her much-reduced harrowing of the shire moment (and being redeemed), Leia getting home okay and thinking of Obi-Wan as a great hero, Obi-Wan defeating Vader, but not killing him, Obi-Wan semi-reconciling with Owen Lars and meeting Luke and Obi-Wan finally managing to contact Qui-Gon as a Force Ghost at the end were basically all guaranteed to happen (and did), mostly in the order they had to.

I still think the series continued to have a problem with timing and logistics happening “because they have to” - so there’s weirdly short travel times for Obi-Wan getting from the planet he fought Vader on to Tatooine, and it’s very odd how Obi-Wan is completely uncontested by the Star Destroyer hanging over the planet when he leaves - I would have thought the Grand Inquisitor would have ordered full TIE launches to destroy his ship once Vader was incapacitated enough to not countermand him.

Also, I know the sequence is intended to help support Obi-Wan’s statements in A New Hope to Luke, but as a result, the whole “You didn’t kill Anakin, Obi-Wan: I did” thing also feels like it’s there mostly to just interface with that very scene; even if it is contrasted with Reva’s refusal of the fall later on.

(Also, who wants a Reva spin-off now?)

2 Likes

I would put money on Jedi: Survivor featuring at the very least a Reva cameo, if not a full supporting role.

3 Likes

I would watch a show about Reva going full John Wick on the Inquisitorius

2 Likes

I like that line but I think the Prequels and Clone Wars cartoon shows there’s no line between those two identities. Anakin was always an oncoming disaster to his loved ones, there was no good guy, just a guy who happened to be standing on the same side as Obi-Wan at that moment.

I think that compartmentalization isn’t actually helping anybody deal with these issues, least of all Obi-Wan, but that’s something Star Wars can’t confront because it sees “Skywalker = Good, Robot Man = Bad” and if ever those lines are crossed, the franchise will collapse.

3 Likes

Absolutely, and I think that’s one reason why the line feels a bit hollow to me - sure, it’s also shown ultimately to be untrue in one sense (in that Vader does eventually “turn back to the light” to save Luke - although that’s always felt kinda unearned, given the 30 seconds of his existence this represents), it’s still in a way that reinforces this dichotomy we’re supposed to accept at some level.

1 Like

Well, after being vocally positive on the early episodes, and setting myself up as someone who is happy when storytellers just noodle around with characters in sequels or prequels and it doesn’t always have to be earth-shattering I must confess… Obi-Wan Kenobi didn’t really do anything for me in the end.

I like McGregor (this is mostly lingering appreciation of his Long Way motorcycle diary stuff and less about him as an actor), I was really impressed with Vivien Lyra Blair throughout, and while I think Reva’s face turn was a little rushed, Moses Ingram was great. Really solid main cast.

I think I said something further up the thread along the lines of: if Obi-Wan manages to put some new light on something we already knew then that would be enough for me. Yes, we already knew where most of the chess pieces would be at the end (Obi-Wan back in seclusion, Leia back with her adoptive family, Darth Vader still lost to the dark side) but there was nuance it could add. One such nuance was reframing Leia’s trust in Obi-Wan in A New Hope, something that I still think the series achieved.

But that was achieved pretty early on and then we had several more episodes that - for me - didn’t really add anything. The closest we got in that finale was probably the line from Vader about having killed Anakin Skywalker. I kinda like that line? It works, in the moment? And obviously I appreciate what it’s doing in relation to A New Hope? But I don’t think it was a plot hole that needed filling in, and I’m with @BlueHighwind that if anything it feels like wider Star Wars stuff has shown it isn’t true. Maybe it’s just a lie he tells himself, but then it’s weird Obi-Wan accepts it on face value. Also super weird Obi-Wan just walks away afterwards! And really weird he says, “Bye, Darth”!

Not a disaster by any stretch, but to me it seems like the series lost a lot of momentum in the second half. Beating a dead horse at this point but I come away from just about all these Disney+ shows thinking they’re too short. I would happily have spent more time with almost all these characters and it seems a shame to waste them in a one shot that ultimately didn’t go anywhere. The consolation is that, with the interconnected nature of these things, hopefully characters like Reva will pop up elsewhere.

2 Likes

I enjoyed Obi Wan overall. I wish the show could have done more within it’s fairly empty space bridging prequels with New Hope but I guess we did get a rollicking adventure with Leia that I really wasn’t expecting. Even though a lot of the beats, especially in this episode, I could see happening even before the show aired. However, although I knew they were going to include it the actual ‘hello there’ line did blindside me in the moment.

Three episodes ago, Darth Vader: “I am what you made me”. This episode, Darth Vader: “Nah, you didn’t kill Anakin Skywalker, I did because I’m Darth Vader”. Obi Wan, oh good, I feel pretty absolved of all that guilt now. Oh hi Qui Gon

I’m totally here for Obi Wan series 2 where Kenobi adopts the name Ben and goes hut shopping in Tatooine, all the while Qui Gon provides sage advice and nothing of great consequence really happens. But I guess the next season will setup Obi Wan into getting ready to face Vader and become one with the force again, as if all the events in New Hope were premediatated.

100% we’re getting a Darth Vader show with Hayden Christensen.

3 Likes

This is actually one of the few things that totally worked for me? Maybe because I feel like the face turn isn’t complete yet. She has done the important first step but is far from redeemed. Totally agree that I want to see more of her!

The part that worked the least for me was Obi-Wan leaving Vader behind without killing him once again. I was waiting for some Imps forcing Obi-Wan to disengage from a defeated but alive Vader (and Vader then killing his rescuers because nobody can see him this weak) but he just… left, fully knowing that Vader is going to recover and keep terrorizing the galaxy.

4 Likes

I guess they were going for an echo of him walking away on Mustafar but… yeah. Just needed something, anything, to excuse the necessary narrative fact that Vader lives!

2 Likes

I think there were things about Obi-Wan that worked in the moment, but it barely justified its existence in its last…three minutes. It was nice to see those characters again (Hayden Christensen doing some of the best acting of his career, James Earl Jones still got it in his 90s, Ewan McGregor the Star Wars GOAT), but at this point, they really have to step out of the shadow of the movies. I think The Mandalorian has it exactly right: if somebody from mainline SW wants to poke a head in to say hi, great! But you gotta go somewhere else.

3 Likes

The wild part is that they had a perfect excuse a few seconds later, when Luke falls and Obi-Wan senses it. Just shift that a few seconds earlier, Kenobi readying the killing blow, and suddenly realizing that he’s shirked his main duty. He then immediately departs, not thinking to end his old apprentice’s life.

Would it be contrived? Sure, but it would at least feel of a piece with Obi-Wan’s character. Namely, a pretty brilliant dude whose indoctrination into a fundamentalist order left him with a rigid moral code that leads him to ruin over and over.

Anyway, the show was fine. It had the quality of a middling EU novel, except with a gargantuan budget. Disney gets its content, Ewan buys another yacht, and fans get their service.

3 Likes

I did enjoy Obi-Wan overall, but the ending felt a bit rushed and hollow. The inevitability of a mainline prequel just has an inescapable gravity. The toys all needed to be put on their shelf by the end and it was done in a pretty perfunctory manner. Episode 5 was the real climax where there was actual risk and stakes.

There’s a big thing they did do in this series in the fights that I like and always wondered why they so often don’t any other time. Usually once the sabers come out it becomes mostly a fencing match, force users, especially Jedi, almost never use the force directly. But the way Obi-Wan and Vader were throwing rocks at each other, and the earlier fight with Reva where Vader didn’t even bother to pull his saber was very cool to me

Ultimately it was a bit of a cream puff of a show, but I did enjoy it, and I’d like to see more Leia and Reva.

4 Likes

I will say one positive, since I feel like I need to and I’m too salty all the time, but the practical lightsaber effects look even better in this show than ever before. That little Lola prop is great too. (I’m sure CG assisted all of this, but looking convincingly practical is great too.) Lucasfilm seems to be the only branch of Disney that still likes to use real costumes or puppets and that should be commended.

I really wish this show had better sets, that’s really the weakness of the entire production.

3 Likes

I found the ending extremely realistic too with how after all that Obi-Wan pulled throughout the show at the behest of Bail Organa, he then what in the F the spoiler tag doesn’t seem to be working for me? nm lol

kinda hoping for a Reva spinoff. It’d probably have a very similar arc to mando where she starts out just doing nothing but trying to survive but then whoops the force has other plans
also every time there’s a new star wars thing I think to myself “do I need a lightsaber?” has anyone gone too far and bought one of those sorta expensive ones?

2 Likes

I’m not answering this question without my legal counsel present lol