Let's Talk About The Star War

I looked after they spoke about them on one of the podcasts at one point. I don’t see myself ever actually getting one, but they’re not that expensive by the standard of many hobbyist things.

The, uh, first one isn’t

1 Like

Ah, so they’re like tattoos! :rofl:

Andor is out so let’s resurrect the Star Wars thread that isn’t just about Clone Wars and AMCA?

Strong, albeit slow, start. Wearing its The Americans influences (and staff) on its sleeve. Seems like it has a lot of potential: to wit, I love that one of the earliest things we learn from Andor’s vision of Star Wars is that corporate capitalists and their privatised militias are the Empire’s ‘first line of defence’. There’s a corpo cop introduced in the second episode and the casting is sublime, just the pinkest ham in a blue uniform, someone my partner described as “what if Colm Meaney was racist”. I’m so intrigued by the potential for a Star Wars show that, like Rogue One, is devoid of Jedi and lightsabers and is much more about the people on the ground and the fascist Empire they’re living under. The plot of these first three episodes, the way they tell that story, and the way they’ve cast and characterised the people in it - all very promising.

But even though we get 12 episodes this time - a bounty, by Disney+ standards! - I worry a little about the pacing; the first three episodes clearly comprise an arc that runs the length of a pretty long movie, but such a movie would likely have moved things along much faster. Of course, that’s the benefit of TV! Time to let things breathe more! But I’m curious how that balance will play out.

Last thought: this is probably one of the best looking Disney+ shows, certainly the best Star Wars show? The fact they actually went and built sets, shot things on locations, instead of rendering absolutely everything on their virtual sets really shows. I think that process has worked (on The Mandalorian much more than Boba Fett or Kenobi) but when you get something ‘real’ like this - I think the town was built in an old quarry in England, perhaps explaining the absolute bevy of British accents among the extras - it’s a totally different feeling.

5 Likes

I love the internal politics with those shitty mall cops. That the boss correctly gaged the situation was best worth covering up and moving on, and his just awful little pissant assistant decides to make the loudest, smelliest stink about it. This dude thought he was McNulty, no, he’s Lt. Dike.

The best justice would be if next episode all these disasters sees Stormtroopers marching in, seizing the planet with a garrison, and middle management dude has to watch everything he thought was true destroyed and betrayed.

4 Likes

One of my favourite types of Star Wars media is when it focusses on the “background” characters - the pilots, soldiers, scrapheap workers, spies, corporate cops, etc - instead of the Jedi or Sith-adjacent heroes/villains. So I obviously loved Rogue One, and I’m really enjoying Andor too. It has none of the clunky dialogue or plot holes that the last two shows (Boba Fett and Obi-Wan) have had, and looks really grounded and gritty. Very excited for the coming episodes.

4 Likes

I also love a Star Wars show which understands that the greatest villains are bureaucratic drones desperate to get Employee of the Month see this and Rogue One.

3 Likes

I think I might care about the consequences of his failure more than what happens to Andor. Like eight of his own people and one civilian died on an op that he probably wasn’t supposed to do. He would have been much better off going after the question of how a ship gets into port that they don’t know about but instead he goes for the the bigger prize of a murderer and it goes as badly as possible

2 Likes

I’m extremely here for the double life of Stellan Skarsgård.

1 Like

That moment where he quickly practices his vapid smile to get in character is :kissing_heart::ok_hand:

4 Likes

I just finished episode 4! This show is pretty good! It’s rare for any Star Wars thing to make the world feel bigger, especially in the Disney era, but this definitely does. The driving forces on the Empire side of the plot being an incompetent, hyper aggressive and unaccountable police force and the CIA was an inspired choice. It makes sense to update the space fascists to be more in line with the current real world far right, colonialist empire!

Me too! His performances as both personas are pitch perfect! The scene in the antique shop where he switches between both was incredible!

2 Likes

God, everyone’s performances are so good. Also, finally getting to see the brutalist architecture of Imperial Coruscant was chef’s kiss

3 Likes