LGBTQ+ rep in video games

You’re not alone…we get too lost in what we want out of a game. Sometimes a more natural interaction that ends in “they’re just not into you” is refreshing for me. Just like how I’d love to have more games where I’m not the one person who can save the world. It gets tiresome, not to mention that it just makes everything feel hollow.

If you play the way I did, then it’s not Bury Your Guys if you choose the Bury Everyone Else ending.

Mind you, my Max kissed both Warren and and Chloe.

VA-11 Hall-A actually handles that stuff really well. As you start to uncover more of Dorothy’s character you begin to understand why she’s in the line of work she’s in, and why she chooses to look like she does.

She actually ended up being one of the strongest characters in the game, imo, and is of one of the better representations of sex work in games.

I think VA-11 Hall-A actually does a pretty good job across the board.

In a vacuum, it seems like the interaction is pretty neat and life-like which is something I hope more games strive for - but contextually, it bothers me that Bioware was absolutely big on making Dorian’s orientation a story point, non-negotiable in terms of romance genders, but Cass can’t be a queer woman who’s just not into you? But the intertwining of player centrality plus lack of queer women options in games is what complicates all of this. I don’t think you’re bad for liking what sounds like (I watched some playthroughs) a pretty “typical” interaction.

Yeah, it just feels like an argument/preference/position I could see coming from places I vehemently disagree with. Stances taken along the lines of “hey, the character is x/y/z, stop making everybody gay!” Which is why I tend to recoil from voicing it? (Also, a lack of forum I cared to interact with helped a bit too I suppose.)

I think what helped me accept that as a favorite personally was that the romance line exists in a world where, at the very least, there ARE gay romance options. It didn’t feel like exclusion, as much as it felt like character? I guess? I dunno, still clearly grappling with it on some level.

yeah, that’s fair and I think some people forget how complicated it is sometimes to grapple with how you perceive things and queer representation. My beef was totally indulgent in that Cassandra absolutely is the kind of stoic butch that I fall for really hard and it bugged me a lot, ha!

Oh yeah, absolutely the same.

I was CRUSHED when she told me she wasn’t into me like that, and that feeling was a huge part, a little later, of realizing how real it felt, and appreciating it as really good, even if it didn’t go the way I wanted it to. (Or rather because it didn’t go the way I wanted it to.)

Gone Home was pretty great. I’d be interested to see how lgbtq people feel about it tho because I’m a cis straight dude.

It was nice to finally get a game about a gay character where they are the focus, without it being blatant. The queerness was implicit and subtle, but was core to who the characters were. It was interesting playing from the sister’s point of view, because she is assumed straight (I believe? I may be wrong), but her sexuality and past/present partners are not a part of the story at all. We only learn details of her sister’s relationship.

It was nice for me to get a perspective that I could compare to my own sister’s response to my sexuality.

(I’m sorry for using so many pronouns, I can’t remember their names’ for the life of me).

Right, and also I think that queer stories are important, but it’s also just important to have some baseline visibility, examples where it’s played more casual, and the representation is good but it’s not about that. Like NITW and Read Only Memories

Like when people say there are lots of queer characters in movies and games and stuff now and that visibility is good, I always think ‘uh-huh, get back to me when a lead character in a AAA action game just happens to be gay or trans etc. and there’s not a huge outcry over it, and then we can maybe talk about visibility being good.’

Gone Home made me cry because it took place around the same general time I was coming out as a teen. It felt really real to me, even though I’m the older sister in my family. I had the fortune of interviewing Karla and Steve from Fullbright about it and it was a great way to get to further talk about how that story came together.

It just feels unfair that it is precisely the butch coded character who gets this “actually I’m straight” moment to “subvert stereotypes” (while it is neither the first nor the last time Bioware did this). She is the only straight character to verbally reject you after the writers have given you hope that your flirtations might not be one-sided - straight male LIs for instance either cannot be flirted with with a male PC or they shut you down immediately. To me, it really just came across as unnecessarily cruel, because as a lesbian I know what it’s like to be rejected by straight women and I really don’t need it in the medium that I use as an escapism.

I know what you mean. While I think this is a … realistic sort of thing to have happen that shouldn’t be out of bounds for games to portray, it also feels like representation needs to be at least a baseline level of good in the first place in order to earn moments like those.

I think you nailed what I’ve wanted to say about how complicated it is!

im surprised how long it took for someone to say gone home, its so beautiful. im currently in the middle of writing a semi-rageful Thing about why gone home is a story perfectly suited to a video game in response to that shitty article in the atlantic last week

Bisexual male representation is basically non-existent everywhere. Games, TV, films, there’s a handful. Very much sucks

This is a very fair point…there aren’t any queer characters in these games who aren’t there just for romance options. Which is itself a problem.

I was really pleasantly surprised with Stardew Valley allowing you to have a relationship/marry townsfolk regardless of gender. I know it’s not an adventure game but I still thought it was really cool that they didn’t make it “a thing” and the devs didn’t limit you to only having one or two options for a same-sex romantic partner like in Inquisition or Mass Effect.

(perhaps slightly off topic but I could recommend a couple good books with bisexual male protagonists)

Absolutely, that would be great thankyou