Lydia Bennett Wasn't Wrong, But That Doesn't Make Her Right

Things are going well, a little too well, for Elizabeth Bennett and Mr. Darcy. Which means it's time for Lydia Bennett to stop being a supporting player in this comedy and become a star in her own romantic drama. Today on the first part of our Pride and Prejudice rewatch finale, we discuss the fatalist snark of Caroline Bingley, Lizzie's growing maturity and awareness, and what Georgiana Darcy reveals about this story.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/3kgm7w/lydia-bennett-wasnt-wrong-but-that-doesnt-make-her-right
1 Like

Waypoint, I send many good compliments to your mothers. I am most seriously pleased.

Darcy’s reaction to Lizzy’s bad news maps well onto my reading of him as an introvert. He’s just been hit with the news that his past actions have hurt someone he loves. He has a track record of being terrible at displaying any emotions. Knocked out of his social comfort zone, he subconsciously retreats to what is safe: Cold indifference. He is likely already planning how to help, but doesn’t realize that he’s not communicating that at all.

I feel for the man, because there’s a high likelihood I would have reacted the same way. I am terrible at making people feel better after bad events, because I focus on fixing the issue, when the person really needs emotional sympathy. It made me bad in a weird way at doing customer service. I was able to fix people’s problems before they could finish telling me what they were, but I was terrible at displaying the sympathy they needed.

Both my reading of the book, and Colin Firth’s portrayal of the character make it easy for me to map my own failings onto those of Darcy.

1 Like

Misses Bingley, a fool

I’m deep into the P&P rewatch podcast and I can’t believe I might re-read these books because of folks who also streamed Bloodborne while listening to the Walmart kid remix.

3 Likes

I wanted to throw out some suggestions for a sign off catchphrase for Be Good and Rewatch It because you mentioned having difficulty coming up with a sign off: Always Remember To Rewatch!, Be Kind And Rewatch, We Will Always Be On Sight, Enjoy The Movies!, Rewatch and Reevaluate, Go and Rewind That Tape!, Go Forth and Rewatch, Revisit Everything, The More You Rewatch The More You Know, We Must Look To The Past To Learn From The Future, Seeya Next Time Folks, Rewatch and Learn, See You On The Rewatch, Don’t Give Into The First Viewing. I hope this helps!

1 Like

This is all I know of P&P, and I refuse to look up any more.

2 Likes

#LydiaBennettDidNothingWrong

2 Likes

Regood and Be Watch it

3 Likes

I did not catch Darcy being an introvert until I watched the miniseries. I first read him as a cold character who did not participate in polite social norms because he’s above it all. While that is a little true, he’s also avoids it because he’s just terrible at being sociable and with small talk.

He’s like when you’re at a party your friends dragged you to and you end up sulking in the corner because you’ve made yourself believe you hate parties when in actuality you’re uncomfortable and anxious around strangers so you retreat into yourself to avoid talking to new people.

So… uh, yeah. I also see a lot of myself in Darcy on re-reads and watches.

1 Like

You have brought a harpsichord version of Baby One More Time into my life.

I thank you.

1 Like

This reply made me think of another sign off phrase: We Will Be Rewatching

1 Like