MachineGames Making an Original Indiana Jones Games

The whole venture feels like a mistake to me? Indiana Jones was already a 1980s nostalgia for 1940s adventure serials. So at this point we’re looking at a company in the 2020s doing a sendup of the 1980s doing a sendup the 1940s. Between the 40 and 80 years when every part of this was relevant, the world has changed drastically. Good luck to MachineGames, but I wouldn’t want to be working on this if I were them.

3 Likes

I’m sure Machine Games can do the whole punching nazis bit but accented with that particular whip like sound effect that comes when Indy punches a nazi. Todd Howard… probably thinks he’s the Indiana Jones of video games at this point. Making it up as he goes along? But that Skyrim game DID have good tomb ambience.

Most are making the conncetion to Tomb Raider and Uncharted, themselves Indy clones. Whilst I defnitely would expect some tomb raiding, perhaps even some puzzling to preced the raiding. the only games that have come close to recreating that Indiana Jones feel is Spelunky when you are plan out trap evasions and weirdly that first Assassin’s Creed game.

During the ‘escape bits’ once you assassinated somebody in public, it kind of emulated The Basket Scene from Raiders in which all the crowds disperse and Indy has to escape and evade capture amidst total chaos. The formula of Indy action relies on constantly moving from a poistion of fortune to a moment of infortune in quick succession and then escalating that with bigger spectacles and stunts. I would love if somebody tried that kind of organic action approach in which you do feel as if you are literally making things up as you go along. I guess it is kind of difficult to pull off in games, as even if you fail, you’ll see that death animation, whilst in Indy movies it always has you in the moment.

3 Likes

Altair would have been such a better AC protagonist if, when some goon was making a big show about to fight him, Altair just shot him dead with a crossbow.

What can this Indiana Jones game even do that AC: Origins didn’t already do better? Those were honestly the best tomb raids I’ve ever had so if all Indy can give me extra is Nazi’s to punch, eh.

2 Likes

I don’t disagree, but never underestimate how much a game can benefit from punching/shooting/annihilating Nazis.

2 Likes

Someone on Twitter said that MachineGames should actually be making a Judge Dredd game and I can’t get that out of my head.

2 Likes

The last Wolfenstein was pretty bad so I’m glad to see them doing something else. Still feel like it’s a studio with so much talent, but truthfully I of course don’t know how involved they were with Riddick or The Darkness, but I feel like their games still have the same vibe.

1 Like

Wikipedia says “founded by seven former employees of Starbreeze Studios,” which answers that question.

Yes, but I don’t know what those seven people did on those games, is what I mean. But like I said, it feels like they did something.

Hoping this to secretly be a AAA-budgeted remake of or sequel to Indiana Jones and his Desktop Adventures.

I want a game where it’s Indiana Jones as a grandfather telling his grandchildren about his adventures and they cut in every so often to either call him out on a lie or address something problematic that he does.

6 Likes

Big Prince of Persia: Sands of Time slash Princess Bride framing device in this idea, and I’m for it.

1 Like