'Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle' Is the Perfect Bedtime Game

In my attempt to actually finish all (or most) of the games I am loving this year, I am steadily chipping away at Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle. I’m in the last world now, but I keep going back to find secrets, complete challenges and seek out every secret chapter in the earlier worlds.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/zmz5z4/mario-rabbids-kingdom-battle-bedtime

Desert Golf. No pressure, no ads, no real sense of failure/frustration if you mess up. It is the closest thing to a meditation game I’ve been able to get into. In a way it’s like a clicker, but without all the overstimulation.

I can def see Mario + Rabbids as a good bedtime game. I beat XCOM: Enemy Within about 3 times on my iPad simply as a way to get to sleep over the years. Portable turn based strategy games are great for this sort of thing.

I’ve been playing Skate 3 for the last couple of weeks before I go to bed and that has been a joy, honestly. It’s a game where your own mastey of the mechanics is the reward, so just finding a random stair set that you can gap down from, spending a good 5-10 minutes crashing and failing on it and then finally nailing the perfect aesthetically pleasing frontside flip and landing it perfectly and go back and find the perfect snap shot or replay and saving it… It’s so good. You don’t need to progress at all in the game to feel you’ve done something worthwhile because doing ill shit with your skateboard is rewarding in and of itself.

20 minutes before bed, lay down a few bangers, smile to myself because I feel like a badass, and go to bed happy.

Lately I’ve been playing Atelier Escha and Logy before bed (mostly because thats the only time I can play) and finding it pretty chill. Since its time management based, its pretty easy to set goals for yourself, accomplish them in an hour or two, and then save and go to bed. The plot proceeds based on pre-determined dates, so you can plan around heavy cutscenes. Persona 3-5 are similar in regards to that, but don’t have that lighthearted, kind tone Atelier games do.

for the last little while (though i’ve slacked on this recently) i’ve been playing back through the persona games for an hour or two at a time before bed (finished persona 3 this way last month, currently on 5/23 of persona 4, probably gonna go back and play persona 2 [or maybe one of the other smt games] after that because i don’t have a console that can play persona 5 ;w;)

i really really enjoyed these games years ago when i first played them but now i have super mixed feelings about them, especially persona 4 – but i like the broad structure of the calendar with events and deadlines; it provides nice exit points where i can stop and go to bed after a few in-game days, and honestly i think it does the calendar thing better than most other games that try it – i love animal crossing but the real-time synchronicity impedes progress too much imo (plus i’m not a big fan of playing games on handheld systems), and the real-time, extremely short days of stardew valley are way more stressful to me than relaxing.

Stardew Valley. It is also my perfect bad-mood game and my perfect listening-to-podcasts game. Making little pixel people happy makes me happy. For some reason, I much prefer playing the first year to the later years; I have several characters lying around abandoned because after the first year I lost interest. (I also have saves for characters that are trying to complete all the quests, date all the eligibles, make it through without ever buying seeds from Pierre … I have saves, is what I’m saying.)

Stardew Valley’s music is cheerful and surprisingly varied. The winter music is absolutely lovely. The design has iterated until it’s full of little satisfying touches: the clunk of using the wrong tool on an object versus the clang of getting it right. The graphics are adorable.

It’s been a bad year, and Stardew Valley has helped a lot.

Mario + Rabbids has a few issues… some of the between mission puzzles drag later on, and it’s maybe a few too missions long over all. Plus there’s that very annoying teleporting enemy type which negates all the good movement stuff sometimes, but I think some have been way too harsh on it over all. Had a fantastic time with it and would definitely be going back and catching stuff I missed if I didn’t already have so much to play.

I’m bad with bedtimes though. I never play wind down games, always just end up playing some big game way too long then going to bed late.

4Ever Transit Authority is something I’ve been doing before bed time. Not a lot, just a handful of minutes and it’s enough. Something about the music and the colours puts me in a very considered state of mind. Personally one of the most important games this year.

This probably isn’t the perfect bedtime game, but I’ve been making a lot of progress in Doom by playing on the switch before bed.

I think it’s just the switch in general. Playing anything on that at night holed up in my room is so relaxing.

Etrian Odyssey 5 is a great game for winding down. Mapping out the dungeon is very relaxing and the music (at least for the first stratum) is super chill. Also the way the full retreat skill works now makes it much easier to get to safety if you get in over your head, which keeps things from getting stressful.

SSX 3 is low key a top 10 game of its generation for me. It’s fun when I want a challenge, but it’s also incredibly relaxing to just carve up a mountain and do impossible flips and tricks.

sometimes i like to play diares of a spaceport janitor right before bed. the routine of waking up, picking up trash, writing in my diary, and going to sleep is a pretty relaxing one, and despite the depressing situation the protagonist finds themself in, the world itself is very bright and colorful. i can try to make progress on my goals in the game, but even if i don’t do anything important it’s still good to get through another day. unless the cops eat my money that sucks