MCU Phase 4 Discussion

I’ve been avoiding this topic because I haven’t seen Eternals yet, but I’ll stick my head in to say: Hawkeye good. Mostly the confluence of Hailee Steinfeld being great and the Fraction/Aja run it’s drawing from being superb - though I’m that rare person who actually likes Jeremy Renner, ever since that episode of House where he’s a patient of the week, even if he’s been given practically nothing to do through most of his very low-key MCU appearances.

I think it’s interesting already that Hawkeye is leaning in on that, what with Kate getting a whole scene where she lampshades how “low-key” Clint Barton’s entire style is. (Which is obviously going to go the “Clint lightens up and passes on the torch”, in the series itself, but the comment on the actual writing of Clint Barton in previous movies must be intentional.)

1 Like

After the Unofficial Bridgestone Musical, which goes way harder than you’d think and is now Grammy-nominated, I’m here for people taking cracks at making musical adaptations of popular media.

A nontrivial percentage of TikTok is literally just that. There’s a whole Ratatouille musical out there. Honestly the only thing I was hoping for musically out of the MCU was a scene in which some of the Avengers helped Cap reform his barbershop quartet

Hawkeye Ep 3: I don’t know if this is just me, but the main action sequence seemed kinda disjointedly cut to me - there were definitely places where it felt almost like there were continuity errors.
That said, the non-action bits still flow and are written well, and there are even some touching moments. Although I’m always a little iffy about Echo’s “mundane superpower” being that she’s exceptionally visually aware and thus a super martial artist because she’s deaf and had to focus on her visual senses. Because, shouldn’t that mean that all deaf people can be super martial artists? (Yes, I know, this is sort of a thing in real life - blind people tend to have more acute hearing just because they rely on it more, for example - but I always feel this sort of “compensatory superpower” needs to be handled very well and carefully to avoid the various potential unfortunate implications.)

I feel like, with the exception of WandaVision, the MCU’s D+ entries have all kind of suffered from pacing issues because they feel like they’re making movie sashimi instead of a TV show (WandaVision had different issues but it was definitely a TV show). Here we have what would be the big End Of Act I setpiece from a movie. I do like this show (the big arrow gag got me 100%) but it feels like Marvel’s settling into a janky formula for their TV output and I’m not sure how much of a continuing appetite I have for Hat Content if they aren’t going to do anything with it.

Catch me at the end of next week’s episode when the Big Twist And Those Characters You Know show up calling this the best show ever.

1 Like