Meet the Developers Behind a Wargame About People, Not Weapons

Take a quick look at your average World War II-themed game and you’re likely to find a heavy emphasis on weapons. Whether it’s loot crates full of skins for BARs and M1 Garands raining down on the beaches of Normandy in Call of Duty: WW2 or the Panzer variants featured in Company of Heroes, games about war are often games about firearms and tanks, and much less about the people who fought in the hedgerows and trenches. A developer named Luke Hughes aims to change that with the forthcoming Burden of Command .

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/j5v3kp/meet-the-developers-behind-a-wargame-about-people-not-weapons

It easy to forget that these are people you’re commanding despite them being simple sprites on a big field.

That’s exactly what I thought was interesting about this game, and why I wanted to write about it. Rob Zacny has a piece from November, Watching History Fade Away in Call of Duty: WWII, that I felt raised some important questions about how games deal with war. So I was really glad to be able to write about a developer who was taking a fundamentally different approach to the subject, and one that I think might be a lot more relevant today.