Metal Gear Solid 5, did you like it?

MGS5 was a gigantic hype machine that could never surpass itself, everyone had such wild expectations that the stunted experience by Konami’s meddling and the high-impact twist left as a farewell gift just added fuel to the fire, probably in the same way a lot of players are still irreversibly divorced from Metal Gear Solid 2’s bait-and-switch. Looking back to it, my mild distaste of the game largely subsided. For all the frustrating elements the game had, I still remember the incredible moments I had when I was in control and able to make my own unique experience.

What makes me realize how a great game it is are those moments where I ride into the sunset with my jeep and the song “Quiet Life” with the speakers on. It is such a good feeling that is quite unique to this game. To sit on your helicopter going to another part of your Mother Base while hearing the creaking of the metal and the sound of the waves crashing into your creation feels great. I was impressed at how Kojima Prod managed to make the Mother Base a beast on its own when you take the time to listen to it. There’s a sense of space that I felt very starkly in this game.

For all the lack of more story-driven, linear missions I remember spending a full hour trying to infiltrate the oil base carefully planning my moves. I wasn’t just infiltrating, I was to write the story of how I infiltrated and I knew it would be an unique one. I could be all serious, or I could be absolutely detached from the gravity of the situation by playing Take on Me at full blast while fultoning an unaware goat. In that sense, it was everything I wanted.

The game put a lot of value into random moments, and these are moments you so easily forget thinking back about the game. Listening to 80s pop music while crawling to avoid a giant mean bear next to your objective might not be the most exciting moment it has to offer, but a valuable part of the experience when you think back and say “I actually did that”.

ok I didn’t mean to do a long post but long story short there’s this “mundane moment” that is not the most memorable thing but the one I am most fond of when thinking back about the game and I feel like it enhanced the openness of its world compared to other games. It wasn’t just a show of fireworks littered with lulls, it was a setup where you were enticed to value the stillness of the in-between by making up your own experience but to a really great extent and I think not a lot of open-world games did that ?

What do you think ?

I liked the part where I got to pet a dog.

You can’t pet dogs in Breath of the Wild
MGSV > Breath of the Wild

It didn’t surpass the hype that was built up. It also didn’t surpass the promise of Ground Zeros.

Ground Zeros was this little taste of the game that I ended up liking more then MGS5. That one base had so much life in it. MGS 5 felt lifeless. MGS 5 was a fun sandbox, but that’s all it was. A sandbox. No castles were built into that sandbox.

This is not even getting into the story.

People complain alot about the story but outside of kojima and co floundering to justify Quiets attire i thought it was excellent. I think people were just mad when they realised that it was about Miller and not Big Boss.

It’s a fun game with a lot of thought, passion, and polish put into it, though it’s also very tonally different from what I’d think of as standard for Metal Gear. I’m also still not sure what I think of the decision to replace David Hayter with Kiefer Sutherland. I do appreciate that the game does close the remaining gap between the Big Boss era of Metal Gear and the Solid Snake era, though.

On the other hand, the game is also unfinished (thanks, Konami), which really shows in the endgame and the amount of grinding. That being said, it still has some memorable moments for me, like how I ended up defeating Quiet in the sniper duel by sending in air drops to conk her on the noggin. That ended up being a lot more fun for me than any of my attempts at fighting The End in MGS3. And nothing in that game beats the feeling of infiltrating an enemy base and managing to clear the objective while going undetected.

Really, if there’s one regret I have about MSGV, it’s that it left Para-Medic’s story basically unresolved. I mean, yes, they do have a conversation with Huey where he talks about rumors of the mysterious Dr. Clark, but there’s never a point in the game (or the series for that matter) that shows Para-Medic (who in MGS3 was this caring, movie-loving, jokey medical expert) actually be or become the reclusive, amoral geneticist responsible for Eli and David.

I liked the game a lot up until about the halfway point. I became really dead set on getting all the upgrades/unlocks and having the best staff possible. It reached a point where I realized all I was doing was the same thing over and over again and that all the outposts more or less felt the same. There was nothing ever really interesting happening at the outposts or the world during non story missions either. It was always a couple guards patrolling or lounging around. I would knock them all out then pick the ones I wanted to keep then move on. Rinse and repeat.

A lot of the side missions felt reused and unimaginative. Go to this location and get rid of these people. Tanks and other vehicles became super easy once you got the ability to extract them. The use of materials every time you deployed was super annoying as someone who wanted to make sure they didn’t waste anything. I never wanted to use lethal weapons because what if I killed someone who was valuable on accident not to mention the downsides of using lethal force in general. Using anyone other then Venom Snake felt like a bad choice seeing as the rocket fist, sonar, etc were all incredibly useful. The sneaking suit which is fairly easy to acquire early on makes stealth a cake walk. It all finally added up to the point where I realized I wasn’t really having fun and that the game had become nothing more then a giant clicker because I wanted to see numbers go up.

It’s really aggravating to say that because the game play mechanics themselves are really good. Sneaking around with DD and having him knock someone out was maybe the most fun I’ve had with a companion AI in a game. A rocket arm you can drive around and punch people with is maybe one of the coolest gadgets in a game as well.

I’ve played none of the Metal Gear Solid games, but watched all of them over at Giant Bomb. From that fairly unusual perspective MGS5 was I think my least favourite of the franchise, and I think MGS4 was a much stronger entry to go out on.

I was kind of done with Metal Gear Solid when V came around, narratively at least. So the story elements didn’t bother me at all. I loved the open world stealth, nearly did all of the side ops and main missions.

It was a great goofy podcast game, fultoning is the best mechanic.

I am enjoying it, despite owning it from launch I have yet to complete it. I have put over 50 hours into it but got burnt out at one point and didn’t touch it for a long while.

I intend to finish it but I know it won’t be my favourite MGS game, even though the design of the game is fantastic and clever.

It’s a good game almost entirely buried by Kojima’s usual brand of nonsense and misogyny.

Knife Wolf for life though

It hurts me so, so much to see the early narrative framework of what could have been, that they ended up shipping this game with. I loved playing this game, for the first 70 hours. But then it kept going, none of the big story beats I was waiting for ever coming in the end (aside from the medical bay mission, which was a pleasant surprise).

In the end, there’s so much that’s just… there. You dive up from an ocean of a Decent Open World Game with A Lot Of Extremely Fun Toys to sometimes get these little glimpses into where the story would have ended up being (like, why was Volgin there? at all? what purpose did that serve? that could have, and should have, been so fucking cool!!), and it all just made me so sad and disappointed in how little of it was able to get done before Konami shoved it out the door.

There are so many moments in this game that stand out as great because there are so many fun systems in play to push you to create them, but that’s ultimately not what Metal Gear is to me. The gameplay was more than welcome to the formula, but the feeling of it all dawning on me that there really wasn’t more to what was already revealed in trailers in terms of story will stick with me as one of the most profound moments of disappointment/disillusionment I’ve experienced with a game.

I would have tolerated the story a lot more I think if it wasn’t pretending to be Metal Gear?

And let me be clear: I don’t LIKE Metal Gear. But at the very least the rest of those games are WEIRD and interesting, and they have a personality to them. MGSV is just… Nothing. They took Big Boss, and Ocelot, both of whom had very distinct personalities and just made them both basically the same guy. The same extremely boring guy. I assume it was a matter of budget, you can’t have the protagonist cracking weird jokes if he’s voiced by Keither Sutherland! Don’t be silly! And when weird stuff does happen it just… It doesn’t feel like anything. It just feels like “oh this is happening now I guess?”

And Quiet is just extraordinarily indefensible. Like, even if the rest of the game wasn’t this bland lifeless nothing, she would still be enough to make me hate it.

The gameplay was okay. I guess. But that’s not why I have tried to like every other Metal Gear

I think it works better if you think of it as Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker 2. MGS4 is still a brilliant game and the perfect end to the main series, and I still consider it that. I really like how 5 plays, but I can only say that I like about half of what it does with the story. What you see of Liquid’s story is great, Huey is a brilliantly realised character, I could go on for a while about stuff I liked, but I’ll save yall from that.

Honestly, I’m glad they didn’t follow through completely with the tone of Ground Zeroes, because man does that game not feel right as part of the MGS series. Every time 5 slips back into that Ground Zeroes territory it starts to feel wrong again.

I do actually quite like Quiet though. Obvious costume complaints aside I quite like her character, and she’s definitely one of my favourite NPC companions. I love how she works mechanically.

I liked it a lot. I have not played any of the others since the original Metal Gear Solid. I gave up on the tank mission though, that mission sucked.

MGSV is a fucking good video game. And Quiet’s actually an interesting character, which is incredibly unfortunate given how gross she’s portrayed.

It’s the worst Metal Gear Solid in the series, but it’s the best game in the series.

Pretty much. It was the first time in MGS history where I’ve totally enjoyed the game while being stealthy and also totally enjoyed the game when I fucked up the stealth and things started popping off.

It’s a good game, a damn good game, and even though it’s obviously very blinkered I still think it holds up to a reading that the lack of a proper ending and so on reinforces a lot of the themes and ideas explored in the game, even though it’s much more likely that Konami and various other factors played a bigger hand in the outcome. But still, I am one of the proper Moby Dick/MGSV supporters.

I also very much love the companion system as a kind of organic replacement for a difficulty setting:

Solo: Very Hard
DHorse: Hard
DDog: Normal
Quiet: Easy
D-Walker: Cheat Mode

I beat a “Stealth Only” mission by sniping with a rocket launcher. Game of the Generation, as far as I’m concerned.

Seriously, though, this gameplay is my favorite of the franchise, except for maybe MGS: VR Missions. @Mukora is absolutely right that there isn’t enough weirdness.

Did anyone else get into the FOB stuff? For a year and a half after release, I would load the game and upgrade my base. Also, anyone do the multiplayer?

PREACH! I thought I was the only one who felt this way! ;-; I love VR Missions.