Metal Gear Solid 5, did you like it?

Ketchup… Am I right?

If we’re thinking of the same one, I chased down the final tank with my horse until I found a rocket truck then stole the rocket truck and cgased it back to the tank base and then blew up the last tank and the base with my rocket truck.

That was the last time I played it and I’m not sure I’m going to pick it up again. I feel like that might have been my high point.

I wanted to get into that more but apparently the game has a problem for people who have large friends lists on Steam causing a CTD anytime you try to pull it up.

This is one of those games I sour on more and more as I get distance from it. There was certainly a handful of fun open-world, emergent systems shenanigans to be had, but the more I played, the more I realized the actual content here was severely lacking. It has the Ubisoft problem of copy-paste missions all over the place. They’re literally numbered in the mission list and honestly most of them are more of a chore.

Sure, the gameplay is the most refined, but it takes place in this rather flat, uninteresting world with levels designed to be so open that there’s no flow to it. Going back to watch gameplay of the first four games, I’m reminded how many memorable parts of the levels there were in those games. Here, it’s just lots of generic, flat landscapes and a little complex here and there.

I’d love these mechanics in a game with a much smaller scope. Refined, sprawling and complex levels like Ground Zeroes map instead of airbases and small forts. Imagine like 6-8 Ground Zeroes that are highly repayable and compelling to explore. And then you could do things like have a subsistence version of each mission where you drop in with nothing like you do in a couple of missions near the end of MGSV.

I thought I just soured on open-world games, but I played The Witcher 3 a couple of months later and just about every problem I had with MGSV felt like it was addressed by The Witcher 3. Beautiful world, lengthy missions thought (semi)interesting maps, a lot of solid story and character beats. Even the repetitive contracts were spiced up with a unique story and creature behind each one.

I think MGSV could have had that depth and attention to detail. It might have meant a much smaller world, but I think the sacrifices would have been worth it. I never got bored with my playtime with The Witcher 3 but there were definitely stints of MGSV that felt like a chore and more of the same instead of a continuous joy.

I feel there are definitely levels in the same cloth as Ground Zeroes. OKB, the Oil Plant, Central Base Camp, the airport and so forth. I didn’t feel PP was less complex in that regard, just that GZ had much more mileage going for it to justify shelling out 30€ for a single zone whereas most of the base in PP are crossed only once and done deal.

For all I can provide as an opinion, I might have the opposite of yours lol, I thought The Witcher 3 wasn’t up to par, with boring quests and combat, and an aimless world whereas I could immediately see the extent of what I could do in MGS5. I connected to it in a way.

To put it in another way, I could immediately put what I had to use and the steady stream of development made me able to use all the tools diligently on a case-by-case basis instead of just relying on the most efficient way, which largely staved off my need of having a more linear and closed-off experience because that space was very much needed for me to be able to experiment without a score system dragging me down (in which I very much obsess over until I lose interest out of frustration). But I would definitely feel the game would have lost of its impact as a series of mission à la MGS4.

Not saying my 60 or so hours were all filled with nothing but bliss, but this is definitely a gameplay I welcomed and I would have liked to see more, especially in a coop setting, which might be push me over the edge to get on the dreaded Survive, if the base gameplay of Kojima Production remains the same.

Seeing MGSV as the sequel to Peace Walker is spot on. As a follow up to MGS4 it fails terribly, but I’m still down to sneak around bases and Fulton everything.

I set my helicopter music to Gradius’ “Burning Heat” and got fucking pumped up to snipe dudes with a tranq from a mile a way so I had a pretty good time.

Even online was aight once I had a buddy to play with. The story was very boring and barely differentiated from other military shooters but it had some fun moments and plenty of good details. I also enjoyed just how many options you had to approach a base by the time you got further in. There’s no way in hell I’m going to back and finish that game though.

Best helicopter theme:

It has the best gameplay of any mainline Metal Gear game, but the worst story.

It was still my favourite game of that year and I enjoy a ton of what it does, but I’ll always be kind of sad that it’s obviously not the game Kojima wanted to release.

I kinda see it like Twin Peaks season 2, its highs are SO high, but it’s marred with production problems behind-the-scenes that really debilitate it.

It’s no Peace Walker, but no other Metal Gear game could be that good.

I think the production problems are hard to avoid discussing; the marks they leave on the game are evident, down to the dissolution of structure in Part 2. I don’t necessarily like the “it’s not Kojima-y” criticism (personally), since I do think there’s elements of it and the troubled production, to an extent, answers why that is. I’m not looking for the cherry on top if the cake is flawed.

I can’t pretend I didn’t enjoy it despite its flaws, but it absolutely would have benefited from being allowed to finish.

Also: Konami are bastards.

I enjoyed it until it felt that the story was blocking the game - right around the “if your soldiers speak this language they gonna die” point. TBH, for me the game would have been best as just the “building a Mother Base” game: capturing great soldiers, hunting rare resources, collecting wild animals, recovering the soldiers who went crazy, all that. The story was actually stopping me from having fun!

I don’t think it is the same no. It’s the last mission of the game. It’s very poorly designed, and you can start it accidentally, equipped with the wrong gear and no obvious way to go back and equip properly. (you can do it technically, but it’s more of an exploit, as the game doesn’t make it easy).

I loved MGS5, but love is a complicated emotion; certain aspects annoy me a lot. Overall I loved the experience, but I wish I had some closure on my time with it since it peters out, meaning you have no real feeling of satisfaction to stop playing on.

I really wish MGS5 was better at telling me when it was time to move on and play other things…

I have super mixed feelings about it. The gameplay was great. The designs of a ton of areas left a lot to be desired though.
The story was… well, it existed? There were some interesting ideas mired down among everything else.

It’s just… there was so much garbage though.
The justification for Quiet’s design, the whole helicopter thing, the camera… like, what the fuck.
The plot in general. The bad missions. There’s a lot to dislike in that game.

D-Dog is a good video-game dog, though.

It belongs in that group of games where the playing of the game is so damn good, but everything surrounding the playing of the game is such garbage.

I adored the gameplay, and some of the humor it lends itself to.

Thought the majority of characters were bad. (D-Dog saved it though.)
Thought the story was hot garbage nonsense. (But it was my first metal gear, so maybe I’m missing context.)
Thought the open world was repetitive and became boring really fast. (But made for good open mission environments.)

The game design/mechanics carried it so hard that it was probably one of my top ten or so games in the past decade. Somehow? It’s really weird to look back on.

I’ve been thinking about this game a lot as a consequence of this thread. I started playing this game a couple months ago, put it down after I picked up Bloodborne, and have intended to go back to it. But I don’t think I will.

Although I love the way the game plays and looks (it can be so gorgeous) I just get overwhelmed by all the choices. There are so many side quests, research decisions, guards to Fulton, score cards to please, and ways to do everything. It’s very overwhelming. On the one hand, that’s kind of neat. On the other hand, I kind of like it when games like this give the players more restraints within in which creativity can be exercised. Open world is fine, but to me, this world is too open. There are too many loose strings, too many options.

I would be much more excited to hop back in, I think, if I was going to be herded along from one lesson to another while Otacon dropped me weapons I would need as I went.

Anyway. Interesting game but not really my jam right now.

I looove Metal Gear Solid V
It’s a superb stealth game that allows you–through volume of options and, dare I say, near-perfect avatar control feel–plan and execute your ideas as you wish. The environments plays off your abilities very well and it feels challenging but natural to navigate through them. I wish you could dial down all the ability upgrades and/or jump into every mission in subsistence mode without screwing you over in combat sequences later, but it often gives you the options to strip down as much as you want.
There’s also a wolf buddy with an eyepatch!

I also hate many things about Metal Gear Solid V
Everything about the story is garbage, it’s not only sparse, but it’s badly written, accomplishes nothing and absolutely does not earn its later chapters. If the story made me care about any of the characters or anything they were saying, maybe it would’ve paid off in the end, I don’t know, I actually like narratives where you mostly hang around with a crew of characters, e.g. Mass Effect 2 or Firefly, but those characters are interesting.
Also a lot of the missions, especially the ones with focus on combat or those damn Skulls are just horribly contrived, and strip you of a lot of your fun stealthy options, they’re just not fun.

Again, all that said, the game plays fantastically, so fantastically that I’m willing to overlook some frustration with parts of the game and the nonsense story.

Metal Gear Solid V like having a really hot boyfriend who you have a ton of great sex with, but all he talks about are copy-machines. I give him a call every now and then and have a really great time, but he keeps trying to grab my pocket change.

The fact that MGSV wasn’t better than a third person stealth game that you aim with the face buttons is the most disappointing part. Peace Walker is one of my favorite games ever and I pictured MGSV to be the ultimate sequel, which in many ways it was. But man… what it could’ve been. Fighting peace walker on the highest difficulty with 3 friends is the top drawer gaming experience to me.