Metal Gear Solid 5, did you like it?

One of the aspects I see under-mentioned with MGSV is the multiplayer. I’m not going to claim it was high art, but I had a lot of fun playing it with 1-2 friends and getting demolished by the squads of super-talented players wearing nothing but bikinis.

Metal Gear Solid V is a fantastic game that is only overshadowed by how much better it may have been had Kojima been allowed to complete his game properly. The story suffers, but the gameplay is the very top best that the stealth-action genre has to offer.

The “immersive sim” aspect of the game is incredible. I loved interacting with the systems, rolling up to base camps, deciding which buddy to take, deciding which approach was best for each mission/situation.

The story I can take or leave, to be honest. It’s “post credits” section feels shoe horned in (though that may not be the developer’s fault in this case), and there’s some really objectionable stuff regarding Quiet. The ending reveal I thought was a funny retcon, but it didn’t excite me really.

That said, tonally it’s actually my favourite Metal Gear game. I absolutely love the drearyness of everything. There’s no hope at all in MGS V. Nothing is ever going to get better. Your entire crew sucks. I recall Jeff Gerstmann describing the characters as “a bunch of assholes on an oil rig in the Seychelles waiting to fuck each other over” when the game came out and for some reason I was way more drawn to that than any other game in the series. Not to mention I think the direction of the cutscenes was probably Kojima’s best.

That really is the main pull of the story for me. This story is all about the final fall of Big Boss and his crew before they all go their separate ways. Ocelot and Miller barely tolerate each other, Emmerich is a selfish, idiot shitheel, and Big Boss (the real one) is just off somewhere else and probably having a laugh. This is a far cry from the tone and nature of the rest of the series.

Also, I appreciate that Phantom Big Boss plays the tape of the real Big Boss on an MSX.

I loved that bit at the end with the MSX! The tape also says “Operation Intrude: N313” on it which was a great touch. And as much as I’m indifferent to the end of that game now, I really love the scene where Phantom Boss is standing in front of the mirror listening to that tape, ostensibly Solid Snake is coming to get him, and he just punches the mirror and you see your created character.

Regardless of what actually happened narratively it was pretty effective imagery, I think.

What’s the best way to play Peacewalker in 2017?

The best way to play Peace Walker is definitely getting the MGS HD Collection on PS3 or 360 and playing it there. I don’t believe it works on Xbox One backwards compatibility, but definitely the best version of the game.

Effective imagery or not, without good writing or a good justification to get there I don’t see the point.
The cutscenes are indeed presented masterfully for the most part, but that’s kind of the only thing, very few things of any larger significance ever actually happens in them.

Not to sit here and say that trailers are anything but marketing buzz, but wow I watched those MGSV trailers with goosebumps from the swelling melodramatic music and the implied cool fully rendered stuff we’ll get to see in the full game, where does the story go? what does it mean? why does this weird thing happen? omg!
That was not th… actually no, it was 100% the cutscenes we got, but none of the actual promised story, just anecdotes, action sequences and references to prior and later games.
Bits and pieces.

I love melodramatic shit, I love seeing characters go through hell and come out broken, it was a large part why I though the chapter with the mother base virus was so cool, as well as the mechanical addition of recognizing your crew names and having to shot S+ ranks in the head. All while Huey throws a rather uncalled for hissyfit about you just being a good leader.
But whenever the game tries to build up to dramatic stuff, it’s wrapped in their uninteresting language virus toss and their boring pursuits of dummy corporation.

Also btw, that cool line in the trailer that you’d think was a dramatic line deep in the story of the game? nope, Snake just randomly says it after rescuring Kaz, lol NBD.
They’ve–allegedly–tried to “bridge the gap” of “the missing link” between MGS3 and the original MSX games like three times now, and they could never just do what they promised with the story.
Regardless of people’s praise for Peace Walker (which imo both had poor story and gameplay) I don’t think Metal Gear ever needed a whole new set of games to explain what Big Boss already told us with his eye at the end of Snake Eater

That said, that wolf-dog does has a sick eyepatch.

Thanks, I’ll keep an eye out for it coming to back-compat. (my 360 doesn’t work any more).

The gameplay of MGSV is absolutely incredible. The loop of going to an outpost, scouting out all the guards, then sneaking in and knocking them all out to fulton for more staff was just a blast. It was even still fun if I wasn’t interested in hiring any of them and instead just went in with lethal weaponry instead. D-Dog is consistently great. Plus when I got the combat platform I could finally play as a lady instead of that weird bearded guy with the eyepatch.

I’ve only interacted with the story of the other MGS games by proxy, through watching Drew play through them with Dan in Giant Bomb’s Metal Gear Scanlon series. My opinion on the games (both gameplay and story) prior to MGSV was that they were complete and total garbage I could not understand the appeal of.

Unfortunately MGSV doesn’t do any better in the story department than its predecessors. At least the story is minimal in it, most of the time being spent with the actual gameplay. One thing it does do, however, is create my favorite character in the entire series. Maybe the only actually good person in them as well.

Venom Snake is a better Big Boss than the actual Big Boss is/was. The Medic actually cares about the people under his command, not just using them as a pretense to gain more power for himself. He’s actually competent as well, nearly always achieving his objectives. And he’s loyal to a fault, again to his subordinates, but also to the original Big Boss once he finds out who he is. It’s a shame, really. Were he not following the whims of an insane megalomaniac he might actually have achieved some permanent good in MGS’ shitty world.

And of course there’s the issue of Quiet, which has been well-tread by a lot of people. Just a terrible character who may have been compelling had a 12 year-old not designed her, and if she actually was quiet instead of humming nonstop directly into your radio every second she was with you.

I’d give it 4/5. The gameplay is absolutely incredible but as usual Kojima’s terrible and incoherent story brings everything down a notch.

I respect that the prior game’s story didn’t appeal to you, but they were anything but garbage. They have the usual Kojima aversion to editing and his 12 year old sensibilities about designing female characters and oogling them in every cutscene, but the stories are well told and overflowing with charm and powerful emotional drama.

MGSV features a lot of those weird Kojima ideas, but none of the actual charm, and somehow manages to be the best playing Metal Gear game and also devoid of any of the narrative touches that makes a proper Metal Gear story good.

The MGSV story had me eyerolling when I wasn’t bored to tears, but man I can’t stress enough how well that game plays, how all of its systems intermingle and create stories on their own, the fultoning system is addictive as hell and the thrill of sneaking into a well guarded base is unmatched in most stealth games.

For as much as I’ve moaned about it in this thread, I just want to go play it now.

Dang, this is exactly how I feel. I love MGS1-4 a lot, despite their flaws.

Although I will say that there are a lot of moments I love (read: “enjoy”??) in the MGSV story, in particularly the aforementioned utter shittiness of all the characters. My biggest issues were with Snake not really being Snake (or Big Boss, or whatever) (and by that, I don’t mean “oh it’s a fake Big Boss”, I mean, “oh this… doesn’t feel like Snake at all…”, and with the story being unfinished.

I want a MGS3 remake with MGSV graphics/gameplay. And they should add D-Dog to it.

I simultaneously adored it and despised it. On the one hand It plays like a dream. On the other it doesn’t deliver on promised story from the trailers (men become demons? The missing link?). Plus I couldn’t believe they basically spell the twist out for you in the opening scenes. It’s not even the least bit subtle about it.

It’s fun, but I never really got far in it so I can’t really say much for the story. I liked the opening sequence and the music selection is almost perfect but I still yearn for something like MGS1 again.

I was bitterly disappointed with the lack of story content. I was so hyped after Ground Zeroes and the hints of something bigger. Then for the game to have like no writing or cutscenes was just the worst. It played really well though.

I worked to 100% early In the summer. Even though it had a few issues, I really enjoyed my time with it. It was easily the best controlling MGS ever. The back half of the story was non-existent, and the reveal wasn’t the best. But one my favorite things about the game is the number of possible approaches. I loved watching friend’s streams and watching how they solved the problems thrown their way. Sometimes we would share a similar approach, other times it would be vastly different. Overall, it was a great time.

As others have said, the lack of story content was disappointing, especially because it was sold as the final chapter of the MGS saga. However, I think V is mechanically wonderful and the way it lends itself to creative playstyles made me enjoy immensely my time with it.

In the end, even if I think there’s a lot of wasted potential it still is one of my favorite games of the generation.

I loved it.

The gameplay was sublime. The sheer attention to detail, the possibilitites–the sky was the limit in that game. I mean, they let you order your horse to poop–and it’s useful!

It was my only game for a few months. I was addicted. Fixated. I didn’t mind replaying missions because I had so many new toys to try out. I tried different approaches. Different play styles. Experimented. It was a blast.

I loved stealing things. Jeeps. Tanks. Anti-air guns. Enemy soldiers. It was so matter-of-fact, so unremarkable in-universe, and so funny to me that I could knock a dude out, strap a balloon to him, and then find him hard at work back in Mother Base, happy to be there, saluting me, taking a beating at my hands, and then thanking me for it. Game was a trip, for sure.

Of course, it wasn’t perfect. I never did multiplayer of any kind. I never even agreed to the online terms. I knew that Konami was trying to bring in some real-money FOB insurance or something, and I wanted no part of that. Plus, I’d heard the game ran worse when it was constantly connected. No thanks, I liked it as it was, buttery smooth.

Then there’s Quiet. Ugh. Unlocked her jumpsuit, never looked back.

And the story. I didn’t quite get all of it. But I appreciated how much of it was optional. I did not enjoy the story of MGS4 (and I consider the previous 3 to be amazing, especially 2 with how meta and brain scrambling it is). There was way too much cheesy, corny, awful melodrama in MGS4. And the gameplay took a back seat. No thanks.

Now, with regards to Venom Snake. I knew from the moment of plastic surgery in which I picked out a face, and then didn’t have that face (cuz I’d obviously have Big Boss’s face) that something was amiss. I was certain that Venom was not the real BB in that same hospital, when a man with a bandaged face and the voice of Kiefer Sutherland told Venom that he was talking to himself. Still, I didn’t mind the twist. Venom, through my actions, became awesome in his own right.

Reviewers criticized, or at least highlighted, the ending message in which BB pretty much said we, the audience, could all be Big Boss. Critics viewed it as an anti-MGS2, all warm and nostalgic, oh we’re all BB together, good for us, when MGS2 made it clear that becoming the next BB is never easy, and had a message of making your own choices, being true to yourself, you doing you. I never viewed the ending of MGSV in this way, however. I don’t think it contradicts MGS2 at all, as long as you look beyond its face.

I ask you, why, given the revelations throughout the game, would you trust anything Big Boss says in that message? Does it sound like some kind of warm sendoff for the series, from Kojima to the audience? Does it sound reassuring? Consider the circumstances. Venom Snake was a man with his own life, his own identity. This was stolen from him against his will so that he could be turned into a BB double. His life was over. His identity was destroyed. Why? To further BB’s agenda. Once he learns of this, what does Venom do? He goes with it. He dies in BB’s place.

That message wasn’t a warm sendoff for the audience. It wasn’t sentimental. It was BB patting his loyal slave dog on the head one last time before sending him out to die at the hands of Solid Snake. Were you a longtime fan who was upset that you didn’t get to see Big Boss’s villain turn? Because you did. That was it.

Well, looks like I’ve typed too much. Enjoy (or don’t, it’s a long one).

I did LOL when finally, after billions of dollars of research and like months of time, the greatest minds of Mother Base invented pants.