MGM/Orion is rebooting Child's Play... while Child's Play stuff is still being made

The trailer for the 2019 reboot of Child’s Play droppes earlier today. In my opinion: it doesn’t look.very good.

Chucky’s a robot now? I bet at least 50 dollars this movie will be crammed with obnoxious commentary about privacy and data collection or whatever.

Normally this story wouldn’t be too noteworthy given the state of popular filmmaking these days, but what complicates matters here is that Don Mancini, the original creator of Child’s Play, is still making Chucky shit.

Seriously, Mancini, Brad Dourif and all of them have been making Child’s Play media as early as 2017, Cult of Chucky is a very good movie btw, with a television show serving as a continuation of the story currently in production

Now, obviously, MGM/Orion being the copyright holder of the original Child’s Play movie, they’re allowed to do whatever they want. But, to bastardize someone else’s work like this, WHILE THAT SOMEONE ELSE IS STILL POURING HIS SOUL INTO IT, feels slimy. And who’s to say this film doesn’t totally bomb and then poison the brand entirely, potentially wrecking Mancini’s ability to do what he wishes to do with the franchise? Ugh, I’m so annoyed by this!

It really fucking sucks how the endless need for more and more capital mangles art.

FINAL EDIT: Mancini’s thoughts on being asked to have his name attached to the film, while having no creative input: