Microsoft/Bethesda @ E3 2021

Here’s a landing pad for discussion of what Microthesda…Bethsoft…the shooty shoot people. They’re talking in an hour and change. I bet there will be indie games.

There is absolutely no way Starfield will be in a decent place by November 2022, even with serious crunch

3 Likes

Why not? They’ve been in development on it since like 2016.

Anyway, I love that the trailer leaked like half an hour before the conference. You know Pete Hines is pissed about it, and as much as I love Bethesda’s games that guy can get fucked.

2 Likes

Aw, I like Pete because he went on stage at E3 in front of a bunch of gamers and told Nazis to go do one.

My understanding is that Starfield has been deep in preproduction since 2016 but that the majority of BGS Maryland (Todd Howard’s direct reports) were up to their eyeballs in Fallout 76 finishing that game and that it wasn’t until that…happened that they moved into full production on Starfield. Meaning the game’s really only been in full development for 2.5 years and not over 5.

2 Likes

I’m deeply cynical, I admit it. I don’t really have any faith in Bethsoft to deliver something that isn’t borked. And seven years doesn’t inspire a ton of confidence when, well, you know…

2 Likes

Yeah, but behind the scenes he’s responsible for blacklisting Kotaku and making a decision to not give out review copies for any Bethesda games. Absolute tool.

I want 95% of the presentation to be about Fallout 76 but each part sounds like a new reveal just to go back to 76

3 Likes

Oh, he is? Scratch that then.

1 Like

That trailer barely seemed worth leaking.

2 Likes

BGS Austin were the leads on 76, actually. Though as I understand it Todd’s team wound up lending a lot of support for the Wastelanders release that added NPCs.

It’s an aesthetic and a release date, which is about what I was expecting at this point. I wonder if this was Microsoft muscling in to say “We paid $9 billion dollars for you people; you need to give us something”

2 Likes

The tone of that Starfield trailer seemed really solitary/survivalish. Do we expect it to be in the Skyrim/Fallout model?

And welp, time to finally play the original STALKERs.

3 Likes

Never played S.T.A.L.K.E.R. bur that was a pretty compelling trailer, I like the ‘Leon Kennedy as played by RPatz’-looking villain.

3 Likes

Ok, I need to know more about Contraband.

2 Likes

Come on Contraband! You can’t cut me off like that!

1 Like

Rare.

Why?

Why would you do this?

1 Like

Brotherhood of Steel, the least interesting FO76 update to date.

I’m very happy that the people who enjoy Fallout 76 are continuing to enjoy Fallout 76.

Also TESO is rad.

OOOOOH, Somerville looks cool

And for the record, it’s developed by one of the co-founders of Playdead

1 Like