Microsoft Reveals 'Age of Empires IV' and Relic Is Making It

Remastered 'Age of Empires: Definitive Edition' also due this fall

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/evvbzn/microsoft-reveals-age-of-empires-iv-and-relic-is-making-it

Half of me is insanely excited to see another game in my favourite franchise. Relic has historically made good RTS games (though word on DoW III isn’t that great…), so that’s a plus.

But when I start thinking too hard about it, Relic makes RTS games that are, within the genre, about as opposite to traditional Age of Empires as possible. I felt like the original Age games were really heavily focused on base-building (as Rob said) as well as economics, tech, and resource management. Units themselves were numerous and not particularly valuable individually, and combined arms on the battlefield mattered more than terrain tactics. Relic makes games with passive resource gathering where bases are mostly a basic gatekeeping mechanic and where individual units are complex and valuable and accumulate change over time, and interact meaningfully with terrain. I’m really not sure how this is going to play out, especially if they reuse their in-house engine and design tools from previous games.

Still, cautiously optimistic. I really want a good new Age of Empires game. And if this doesn’t work out, well, any fans should go check out the in-development Empires Apart or of course 0 AD.

Windows 10 huh? Gonna have to pass on that one.