Millennial Malaise: or Movies Made Between the Cold War and 9/11

Hey everybody.

First of all big ups for everyone who responded to my previous post with some helpful resources for writing. It was greatly appreciated. Secondly I want to share the fruit of that labor with a new series I’m doing about movies made between the end of the Cold War and 9/11. Yes that means a whole lot of cyberpunk talk. My first piece about Kathryn Bigelow’s Strange Days is up and I would love all you fine folks to take a gander.

I’m doing this purely out of wanting to write consistently, and would constructive feedback and communication. Thanks for all the help and have a wonderful day.

How’s it going everyone? I got another article up. This time about the 1992 heist film Sneakers. Which is simultaneously charming (Robert Redford can warm your heart with a smile) and prescient about the weird tech dystopia we live in. Take a look, and if you have the time offer some feedback.

Thanks for everything.

Hey oh! It’s Thursday, which means another edition of Millennial Malaise. This week it’s about 1995’s Hackers. I hope your rollerblades are ready for this dive into pure 90’s cyberjunk. As always feedback is greatly appreciates, and thanks for reading. Take a gander here.

Sneakers and Hackers makes an interesting pairing. They’re both seemingly about hacking/cracking, but with wildly different approaches. Sneakers, while not exactly realistic, is mostly plausible and rooted in real techniques. Hackers could not be further off the mark. That movie is bonkers. In what universe are these teenage skater/ravers also the most sophisticated computer nerds on the planet. It’s like someone heard the word “cyberpunk” and did exactly zero further research.

Still, I consider both of these movies formative and they have a special place in my heart.

Sneakers is definitely a heightened work of genre fiction, but it feels so much more grounded because of how we know actual hacking works. In the film it’s 80% social engineering 20% computer stuff, and a lot of the tech things are way more analog and hands on than the fantasy version of hacking.

I wrote about The Lawnmower Man. A movie that is certainly out there. Gird yourself for the greatest CG of a generation in this ill begotten Stephen King adaptation. Check it out here. And as always feedback is appreciated.

A lot of movies from the 90s haven’t aged well. But 25 years on Ben Stiller’s feature directing debut Reality Bites reeks of smugness and satisfaction. But at least it looks good. Check out this week’s Millennial Malaise here.

As always feedback is appreciated.

Happy Valentines Day from Millennial Malaise. This week I’m covering Wong Kar-Wai’s romantic city symphony Chungking Express. Please take a look here. Thanks for reading, and as always feedback is always appreciated.

What’s more mid 90s than Juliette Lewis and Tom Sizemore, nothing I say. This week I try and contend with Oliver Stone’s 94 crime flick Natural Born Killers. Does Stone justify his over the top violence? Is the media really to blame for the problems in the 90s? Read here to find out.

As always feedback is greatly appreciated