Minecraft - How much will an adult get out of it?

My knowledge of the game is pretty limited (which the main question probably shows). I have seen my nephew play it and he has constructed some pretty amazing stuff, and clearly the game has legs due to its continued popularity. I have visions of my Son playing this, building some amazing stuff and becoming inspired to build a skylift to the moon in real life. But as he is five months old this is slightly premature. I have a Switch, love it dearly and notice that there has just been a version released for the system.

I expect there are a few of you on here who have played, or are playing this, and I wonder if you could tell me about your experiences from a “grown-up” angle. From what I can tell, it is pretty much a do what you like game, but then also recall on various podcasts people talking about battles, and missions and such. I find myself intrigued, and at £20 it is not cheap but not crazy expensive either. I want to know a bit more about the actual game before I take the plunge and spend my pennies though.

It’s hard to answer. It’s a bit like Lego, really. Lots of adults like Lego. I like Lego, but not everyone. If you were confronted with a pile of Lego and nothing about that excites you, or you couldn’t think of anything to do, you might not get on with Minecraft either.

I would say that Minecraft’s initial audience was primarily adult, probably, way in the early days of it.

There are a lot of mods which add or change things about the game in some significant ways, but I don’t know much about that.

Also, be aware I haven’t played it for a few years now probably, and I gather plenty of stuff has been added. Don’t know what that’s like.

I think if you’re the sort of person who’ll put some effort and creativity into a game, and you want something positive to play with your son, it’s hard to go wrong with Minecraft. It’s a really great game for self-expression.

Well I love Lego. Though I would be a bit like the film, where I always want to just build a spaceship.

Hey, if it’s spaceship building you’re after, you might want to investigate Kerbal Space Program if you haven’t already.

As an adult I would avoid the Switch version, and indeed the rest of the console ones, the ‘Pocket Edition’, and the ‘Windows 10’ edition, and get the original Java based ‘PC’ edition. Out of the gate it’s basically the same game, but it’s that version that has the flexibility for playing modded versions, all different sorts of downloadable challenge maps, and for making your own such things if you want.

Core Minecraft is a fairly simple game; the Java version is also a platform on which lots of other games have been built.

I remember Vinny etc on the Beascast getting into it, but my gaming is pretty much Switch only these days so it’s currently not an option.

Oh, did you watch the series they did of it? Project B.E.A.S.T.? It’s well worthwhile, and has Austin for most of it because it started just before he joined the site. One of the best things on Giant Bomb still, I think.

Anyway, ducks out of being off-topic

I think this place is fine with topics finding their own path! I didn’t watch the vids no, and no longer a Premium Member. I do remember them liking it a lot though. It seems to be on pretty much every other platform out there so hopefully it comes to Switch at some point.

I still play “Vanilla” Minecraft from time to time and it is really enjoyable to me. Playing with others is super important for my enjoyment, though. I’m pretty weird though, I like digging holes, just the simply, repetitive task and the impressive result are super satisfying. Minecraft is a game that you can play in so many different ways (not even counting the mods), so it’s really hard to give a specific answer.

Here is my largest hole (basically a pyramid from ground level to bedrock) to date, btw:

That’s pretty sweet. Getting the distinct feeling that for £20 this is worth at least a try.

I’d say if you have a young son then it’s absolutely worth picking up. It’s something he’ll likely want to play at some point anyway, presuming that kids haven’t moved on to a new craze completely in the next couple of years, and even so it’s going to be a great thing that you can play with him and have a ton of shared experiences.

It’s worth getting into now - you can get a feel for the game and then you’ll be able to guide him through it if/when you do start playing it together. I would absolutely second @ewan’s recommendation - go for the original PC edition if possible. The core version of Minecraft is a great playground to explore and be creative in, but if you play it a fair amount there’s so much value to be added (depending on what you’re looking for) from diving into the mod scene - and it’s a lot easier to set that stuff up than you might anticipate. Plus there are tons of guides online to help with that.

I’d also say my other main tip starting out is “don’t be afraid to look at the wiki” - Minecraft (especially on the PC version) doesn’t hold your hand a ton in terms of letting you know how to build stuff. Manually shaping your tools out in the crafting window is a great mechanic, but it can be a little confusing at first. Have fun!

Ok thanks guys, I have purchased it on the Switch. If we ever get a laptop or tower PC I will look to get that version. For now, the Switch is my only viable gaming machine (plus I think he will enjoy using it when old enough).

FWIW, they have been slowly incorporating custom game types and maps into the console version of the game.

https://minecraft.net/en-us/article/glide-mini-game-consoles-tomorrow

They’ll never reach the full scope of the PC mods, but I think the game is deep enough that they aren’t all that necessary, especially if you dig into redstone and command blocks.

I’m 33 and I love Minecraft. The only problem for me now is that I’ve played Minecraft so much that I kind of can’t, anymore. I started playing Minecraft about a year before the Microsoft buyout and since then they’ve added a bunch of new stuff

But I’ve also gone through the “discovery” phase of Minecraft. I’ve learned everything it feels like I need to know to get through the game and I’ve started new worlds, built castles and huge underground mines so many times that it kind of feels old hat, and there’s no impetus to learn about any of the new stuff.

As a 31 year old child I can say an adult might be hard pressed to find the fun in minecraft. there is very little “structured” play. but as a man child I can say i’ve purchased the game a half dozen times between console releases and extra copies for Friends and family and i play it every couple of months at least.

I cant wait for my kids to start playing it, I’ll be right there with them.

Minecraft is pretty underrated as a game to just wander around in and relax in. Not a very creative person myself when it comes to building and things like that, and lacked a lot of the patience/time needed to complete large scale construction projects, but just exploring caves, mountains, the different biomes, villages, etc. was enough for me. Very fond memories of throwing on a podcast or some music and getting lost in there for a couple hours at night. Had its own excellent soundtrack as well!

Well last night I spent an hour trying to figure out how to put a roof on my shelter, whilst it rained and a sheep kept trying to come in through the open window. I did put a door on it though. The shelter, not the sheep.

Was weirdly relaxing.

Ok gang, I have tried a couple of times to get into this but have failed each time. It’s going to sound dumb, given kids are all over this thing, but I am struggling with the controls on the Switch. Twice I have gotten to the end of the Tutorial, switched off for the night and come back the next day, or a few days later and it’s like starting from scratch and I feel totally lost.

I guess everyone else on here is using PC/other versions so it may not be relevant, but is there a particular place I should be looking for “help” online to maybe give me a kick-start, or any advice you can dish out here? I do really want to get into this thing. Guess I could just wait a few years and then get the Boy to roll his eyes at me whilst he builds loads of stuff in the blink of an eye.

I’m not a Minecraft player myself, but is there anything you’re particularly having trouble with? There’s no shame in not adjusting to the controls immediately, that sorta thing is totally natural.