Monster Hunter: World "Welcome home, good hunter."

All good tips here. Though in regards to elemental weapons, it depends. If you are using a fast hitting weapon (dual blades, longsword, SnS, Lance, Bow, bowguns, IG) it will be best as elemental is a flat damage value applied per hit, rather than a percentage of the hit damage value. (At least as far as I understand). For heavy weapons (CB, SA, GS, hammer, hunting horn) raw damage is ideal.

All that being said…check out what the weapons look like, how easy they are to make, and use the one you like best, and later on you can adapt your build if you feel like optimizing.

Also, I miss the MH channel on the Waypoint discord. Wasn’t super busy, so not surprised it was archived, but still.

Y’all I’m doin’ the thing.

I had forgotten how deeply satisfying it is to hit things with a hammer the size of myself.

Also! I responded to an SOS flare for the first time, which was also my first exposure to doing any sort of multiplayer in MH:W. And it was very, very cool to see four cool ladies taking down a Great Jagras together. It felt like power.

Neat! Enjoy it!

Hi Monster Huntery folk!

I recently grabbed an X-bone and have been looking to grab a few things to round out my library for it.

I’ve never done the MonHun thing and am trying to decide if I should take the plunge on this one or not. I love Action-RPGs but am not sure if this will be like…too much for me. A few questions:

1. How’s the difficulty? Is it approachable for someone who is not necessarily the most capable gamer of all time?

2. How RPG-y is it? Are there lots of fun numbers to crunch and such? Will I get to change equipment regularly and upgrade stats and such?

3. Is it reasonable to expect to be able to play it, have an “arc,” and then be done with it or do I have to put in like…200 hours or whatever?

Hey, thanks Waypointers!

I’d personally recommend it, weapons have a variety of complexity to them, some have weird step-by-step bar management and ammo types, and others are easier to just swing and dodge, in a sense I think the difficulty mode of the game is the weapon you choose.

1. For the first half (low rank mode) it doesn’t ask that much, it’s a satisfying range of monsters that gradually ramp up in difficulty (and you can always summon an extra player or two if the going gets rough).
  2. There are many unique weapon paths to upgrade on and armours to craft, you’re not really putting xp into character stats, it’s all about crafting new and better equipment with the parts you get from hunting. It’s probably lighter on the RPG aspects than most but you can do a lot of min-maxing with elemental resistances, damages, and passive abilities.
  3. You’re probably going to be putting some time into it over the course of playing it, as hunts take some time and you’ll probably want to explore a bit to find ingredients and do side missions. I think it’s relatively safe to assume you’ll have a arc with it, but I feel like it’s one of those things where you either fall off some time in or you like playing it enough to want to continue fighting things after the initial story arc has concluded.

I think that’s mainly dependent on how you like the combat and progression though, but again the weapons are very varied and have a varying degree mobility and system complexity to them, if you’re not feeling it you can always try another one.

Hope it helps, and feel free to add or correct me with your own experiences :slight_smile:

I went hard into MHW on Xbox when it came out, but I haven’t played in ages. But I was in a similar boat of having never done a Monster Hunter, so here’s my two cents.

1. It’s definitely a challenge, but the game does a decent job of holding your hand through the low-rank stuff as you figure out the systems, controls, and upgrade pathways. Things definitely take a step up once you get to high-rank, though, but at that point, you’ve likely put a pretty solid number of hours in, and should be able to get a handle on things.

2. No putting points into stats necessarily, but lots of gear to switch out and customize. It’s basically the entire point of the game to continually upgrade and optimize your weapons and armor. Especially once you get into high rank, you’ll likely be taking the time to look through armor and weapon sets, figure out which ones best fit your playstyle, and start targeting specific monsters for parts for those specific sets, and grind away until you have the materials required to craft. There is A LOT to dive into here.

3. I mean, there is a story, but it’s not well told or written. But playing from beginning to the end of high-rank ends with a climactic boss fight, and some end credits. You could definitely end it there if you feel like you’re done with it. But the game really is about the endgame, as far as going further and further down the gear and weapon rabbithole. But you can go down that as far or as little as you want. Either way, I think even if you end at the end of high-rank, you’ll have put in a pretty significant chunk of time, though an exact hour count escapes me.

To add to what others said, MHW is pretty approachable for the sort of game it is.

1. Low Rank does a great job of gradually escalating the difficulty as you learn your weapon, monsters, and the game’s systems. Generally speaking, if you find that a monster is too punishing, then you most likely just need to upgrade your equipment. I would also recommend starting out by playing with the different weapons in the training room to see which one clicks best for you. If you want an idea of what each one does/is for, Gaijin Hunter and Arekkz Gaming have great tutorials. (Folks say that the best weapons to start out with are Sword & Shield, Longsword, and Dual Blades, but I started out with the Switch Axe and was fine after a bit of practice) All in all, if you’re familiar with action RPGs, just take it slow and it’ll get a lot easier over time.

2. It’s all gear-dependent, and the specific stats won’t matter so much while you’re starting out. By the time you get to the end-game, stats and grind is the name of the game. But until then, you’re given a lot of room to experiment with builds and armor/weapon skills.

3. I played through all of the campaign and got to the second set of “tempered” (end game) investigations before I had my fill. So, not nearly as much time as a lot of people put into these games, but I was totally satisfied with the 80ish hours I spent playing MHW.

I also want to throw in a recommendation for the Hammer as far as starting weapons go, it hits hard and is surprisingly mobile; pretty simple concept too, charge up, store the charge, add a little more oomph to your hits.

I don’t know if this was mentioned in the thread but if you do the hammer’s tornado spin (charging it all the way and releasing while moving) you can press the primary attack after 3 or 4(?) revolutions and you’ll end with the powerful golf swing. It’s huge damage and you won’t get that lengthy recovery animation.

I usually jam on the primary attack since I’m still unsure about the timing after all this time.

I find the hammer to be extremely satisfying and even though I’m still rather clueless about Monster Hunter minutiae I don’t feel like I’m having much trouble with it. The various combos you can pull off are all just soooo “clobber-y,” for lack of a better term, that when it all connects it has such a great, powerful feel.

The late game monsters are difficult, I think, or maybe more that they can be really frustrating. How frustrating one monster is depends a little on the weapon as well. (Gunlance + Teostra = guaranteed disaster somehow). But you learn them, and it’s up to you how much you want to grind them.

I do also think the game can be quite overwhelming with all the different armours, items, gadgets, loadouts. There is so much possibilities that my brain shuts down a little sometimes. But what’s good about it, like someone mentioned I think, that you can get by pretty well without thinking about that stuff. Stick to upgrading the weapon, upgrading the armour, crafting health items, that’s about all you need. The rest is just for fun.

Nothing beats charging your hammer, sliding down an incline, and releasing the trigger. Coolest attack in the game.

Couple of additional hammer tips:

• @NiceTigrex above mentioned the spinning golf swing attack, very good. Additionally, there are two different attacks you can perform after charging only partially. The attack after an almost full charge is a nice uppercut that hits pretty high. Useful for hitting monster heads that may be a little high off the ground.

• Along with sliding down an incline while charging, you can also do the same attack by charging and running up certain angled walls. You’ll run up the wall and automatically jump off into a vertical spinning attack.

Thanks for all the advice, friends! I think I’m going to give the game a shot. I’m sure I’ll be back to ask questions eventually.

The recent Waypoint podcast got me back into playing Monster Hunter World. That is, until I ran into the brick wall that was the FFXIV Behemoth fight and remembered why I stopped playing. The worst part is: I’m the reason groups keep failing because I can’t see to stay alive.

Has anyone managed to clear this fight yet? Any tips on getting through this? Am I just really, really bad at the game? :sweat_smile:

I managed to do it a few times with randoms. Only real tips I would give are to max out your defense as best you can. Maybe skill to prevent stuns and bring a lightning resist mantle. Keep flash pods ready to fire when it casts the tornado spell (called charbydis, I think), and lead it away from comets that drop down as you need to be behind those when the meteor hits.

I did all my quests with lance, so I could block most of its attacks.

Thanks for the tips!

Thankfully the mechanics were fine (playing FFXIV helps), but I guess I’m just not great at its tells and surviving mistakes— which are many, haha! Will give buffing up defense and bringing along a suitable mantle. I’ll probably try to hone up my skills through other missions in between.

That is one of the hardest fights in the game. You should have well over 400 defense and play conservatively. I would check out some youtube videos on how the monster reacts to things like flash.

The key part is if the monster is trying to attack you, you need on pure defense and try to stay alive until someone with a big ass shield can pull agro. And don’t die during the super meteor.

I’d rather do Behemoth than AT Teo. Haha. Though Extremoth probably takes the cake.