Motorsport Discussion Thread

I did a search first and didn’t find anything like this, but I might have missed something - forgive me if so!

I know a lot of us have found our ways here from Giant Bomb and as such I’m sure a bunch of others follow Forumla 1 (thanks to Drew and Danny’s Alt F1 Shift+F1) and other motorsports. I thought it would be a good idea to have a centralised thread to discuss such things.

Currently ongoing motorsport series, with some good background information on each:

• Formula 1 - the highest class of single-seat auto racing that is sanctioned by the Fédération Internationale de l’Automobile. Probably the best known motorsport series, with big money and big crowds.
  • Formula E - officially the FIA Formula E Championship, is a class of auto racing that uses only electric-powered cars. Great series to get started watching, quite short races compared to Formula 1, and easy to watch (in the UK at least) without requiring expensive subscriptions.
  • Moto GP - The FIM Road Racing World Championship Grand Prix is the premier class of motorcycle road racing. 2 wheel racing at its best. All races can be watched online by way of a VideoPass, making this the easiest motorsport to start watching by far and includes coverage of both live races and past races for a very reasonable fee!
  • Many more including rally, touring cars, world super bike and DTM.

In my mind this thread will become a discussion zone for various motorsports both 4 and 2 wheel, and perhaps become a kind of community wiki of places to watch and follow your favourite racing.

2 Likes

I wish there were more good legal sources in the USA for stuff like Dakar because long distance rallies are the peak of Motorsport tbh

Also I found an absolutely baller MM93 shirt in Bangkok

1 Like

I was watching Formula One religiously for a while, but have since fallen out. I agree with Hamamelis, it’s really hard to find good sources to watch rallies, and other motor sports here. I found that Motor Trend On Demand, actually has a pretty nice selection of Motorsports to choose from. Yet the rally stuff on there is highlights.

Bringing this thread back to say that I really really REALLY want a Formula 1 street race in London. Seeing the folks tear it up in the streets today makes me really want that.

Also Daniel Ricciardo is the best athlete in all of sports I’ll cut anyone who disagrees :hugs:

2 Likes

Sort of disappointed I wasn’t in London today to check it out. Pictures of it look like a great show.
…Although it did seem loud and full of people (so maybe it was a good thing I enjoyed it through social media).

F1 is a great past time I can enjoy even when I don’t have the willpower for actively inputting commands in my main love of gaming. It’s also brought me closer to my Sister’s boyfriend and my mum which is awesome.
Ricciardo is a cutie

1 Like

how could anyone hate this man???

1 Like

Bumping this thread!

Me and the boys are planning an early morning Brunch and race car viewing for the up coming French circuit.

I’ve never watched Formula 1 before! And Fado, our Irish Bar in Atlanta, seems like the perfect place to indulge.

So, who caught the Austrian GP?

That was a amazing race.

I feel like I’m losing my mind. I thought I watched every F1 race but I have no memory of the Austrian grand prix and it really seems like one I shouldn’t have missed. I probably didn’t do anything that day so why didn’t I watch!

Anyway, I love F1 even though I started watching this season which is awful, and I hate Hamilton.

1 Like

I’ve only started this season too. And I also hate seeing Hamilton at the top EVERY race. Which is why this Austrian race was so good.

Verstappen placed in the top, fell back to seventh, then pulled ahead to win the race. It was incredible.

The Austrian GP was great, which was a wonderful change of pace from the terribly boring race in France.

I’m happy to see Honda find success after looking horrid for a few years, and Red Bull finally have the power to keep up with the front runners since their chassis has been consistently good for years now.

I love Lewis and Merc, but I’m happy to see some shake-ups in the pecking order. Would love McLaren to start knocking on the door of the front 3 along with Haas and Renault, and hopefully Williams can figure something out and start sniffing points positions.

1 Like

I remember the days when Vettel won every GP, and the rest of the grid were bystanders. It’s tough because I appreciate that the Mercedes team puts in the work/spends the money to podium every race but would love it if motorsports had the ‘any given Sunday’ dynamic of other sport.

1 Like

This is now a Rich Energy stan thread.

2 Likes

Does anyone watch World Rally Championship?
Just me?
It’s fun. It’s just cars going uphill real fast kinda. And sometimes downhill. And somehow through quaint Norwegian villages. And sometimes in snow. I love it. I don’t follow it for like, who wins and loses, but I enjoy just following the cars along the route. I find the spotters droning on to be peak satisfactory audio in all of sport.

Today in practice Grosjean spun out before leaving the pit lane, completely breaking the front wing. Every race it feels like he is driving on borrowed time.

This feels like a Jagged Alliance spin off game.

Formula 1.99999 Grosjean’s Time is here!

So that was a pretty tense match up between Verstappen, Leclerc, and Vettel.

Good on Vettel for acknowledging he fucked up and apologizing post-race.

Hockenheim was incredible. Impossible to summarize but seeing Hamilton destroyed was so satisfying. His 50 second pit stop was hilarious too. Even if seeing Ferrari on the podium is not the most exciting thing, Vettel starting in 20th and ending in 2nd was very impressive. Lots of fun moments of tire strategizing.

Can you imagine if every race was like this!

1 Like

This race was definitely the worst one for my fantasy team. I have a habit of picking a non-finisher as my double points scorer. My only solace is that so many drivers didn’t finish that everyone else had a bad weekend as well.

I think Kvyat will get promoted back up to Red Bull for next year after this result.

1 Like