Move Over Mercy, There’s a New Healer in Overwatch

Today, Activision-Blizzard launched a trailer announcing Moira, a new support/healer character for Overwatch. She has a cool cyberpunk/witchy vibe going, with black and purple garb and the ability to throw out orbs that heal allies and drain enemies. Her trailer shows some massive damage-dealing spells (sci-fi spells?) and her talking about imposing her will a whole lot.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://waypoint.vice.com/en_us/article/bj7dbz/moira-new-overwatch-character-witch

can’t wait for wamercy

She is kinda the first Overwatch character design I don’t like?

Like, okay, Widowmaker’s design being basically “hypersexualization: the character” still irks me, but she got better with better skins.

Moira just looks like a Battleborn character…

Think of it more like Cybergoth Celtic Druid?

Those of you all playing the Tired Irish Character Tropes Drinking Game should remember to take a shot now for that cornerstone that is: redhead. Obviously down another for the stereotypical Irish name, I assume we’ll hit the keystone with one of her alternate outfits being a “Forty Shades of Green” green, and I am of course already filling a glass for the reveal of the other cornerstone, that she has a close relationship to the drink.

I really wish this game could muster my enthusiasm but I’m honestly not jazzed.

I’m a little hyped but I’m also super burned out on Overwatch. Probably the only way to bring me back is to make her gay and trans. You hear me Blizzard? And no side comic. I want the in game audio “Hello folks I’m gay and trans NOW DIE”

God, I wish, but Blizzard has the license to print money and they’re still massive cowards.

I’m still soured on how boneheaded their reporting and moderation system has been over the past year. Making characters who are more inviting to non-dudes is a good thing, but Blizzard desperately needs to actually follow up and guarantee a comfortable social space for those audiences.

@Blackie62: I am of course already filling a glass for the reveal of the other cornerstone, that she has a close relationship to the drink

You’re telling me this isn’t beer flowing from her hands?

@miscu: I’m still soured on how boneheaded their reporting and moderation system has been over the past year. Making characters who are more inviting to non-dudes is a good thing, but Blizzard desperately needs to actually follow up and guarantee a comfortable social space for those audiences.

This is pretty much the reason why I barely play anymore. If I do play, I usually play something like Deathmatch or random heroes or some ridiculous custom game just because I don’t have to deal with the actual people of the game most of the time.

I mean, I watched both her videos and didn’t realise she was Irish until you said so just now and I’m still not convinced, so if she is they aren’t laying it on too thick it seems.

She looks good, am inty the look and am always down for healers with damage outputs.

Well I mean Blizzard being bad at making a character’s ethnic background obvious and also good isn’t exactly anything new. Just look at Pharah and Lúcio. Her First Nations identity was released like an ARG, and Lúcio doesn’t have any indicators that he’s Brazilian outside of three sprays and a soccer skin.

If Blizzard didn’t look people dead-ass in the eye and write some character identities down, we wouldn’t know shit.

moira could have had tentacles
my god

Halloween skin or riot

Her First Nations identity was released like an ARG

I think that’s mostly because it was retconned in. I mean, everything about her design is connected to her Egyptian heritage (hero name, real name, other skin designs, backstory, tattoos, etc.) and nothing to suggest she is Canadian and/or Aboriginal until after there was the controversy around her Thunderbird/Raindancer skins.

moira could have had tentacles

Ravioli Ravioli
Give me the Tentacle Lady-oli

I guess I have a better ear for the accent.

But yeah, the official site says she’s from Dublin. To which I say, fuck you Blizzard, there are other cities in Ireland besides Dublin. She could be from Galway, Limerick, somewhere on the Dingle Peninsula… She could be from Kenmare. She could be from Sligo and be much more spiritual than you normally expect from a person of science because as Yeats, Song of the Sea, and probably Calvary taught us, magic just still exists in Sligo. Saint Plunkett’s rolling head, she could even be from the North because Blizzard, I fucking dare you to tell me in your optimistic future the political quagmire of two separate Irelands hasn’t been fixed. I could also suggest she’s from Cork but Cork is an intelligent city worth a damn that doesn’t output stereotypical Irish characters.

I’m loving this constructive anger. I wish I could like a post twice.

I soooo don’t deserve praise for that anger because it is completely undeniable that it is, hopefully only partially, coming from a place of attachment to Ireland that’s endemic to Irish Americans and can never actually be justified because for I and many other Irish Americans the family moved over during the Famine and then never reattached to Ireland yet still expect to be able to meaningfully have that heritage-- And actually no, I’m going to live with the damn hypocrisy of believing I have a connection to a place I only went to last year because chance happened to give me a last name with an O’. Fuck the next person who asks me why! Why don’t you ask that question to the Italian Americans?

And who the Hell at Blizzard said that strong purple, yellow, and red could work together as a color palette?

That looks cool as heck, actually

Skiiinnnssss

also her character page is up on the Overwatch website.

I for one am cringing at her Naruto run.