Music Releases of 2017

Manchester Orchestra’s new album is so so so beautiful i’ve had it on repeat since it came out.

these two are singles from it and they’re both amazing

A lot of people (in general) seemed to pay attention to Kesha’s first new single but I haven’t seen much said about the album release last week? None of the other songs are in the vein of Praying, but there’s some great anthems (Woman, Bastards, etc) and some usual incredible absurdity in true Kesha style (Godzilla, for one) and it’s so so good and fun and just wonderful.

I struggled to make a top 10 AOTY list last year bc I just wasn’t that arsed about many releases but it looks like it’ll be do-able this year! Rumoured Wonder Years release, and Brand New announced LP5(?!). Is looking good.

YES! The new Kesha album is so goooood. As are like, the last 4 recent posts :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Well, okay I haven’t listened to all Thee Oh Sees, but that song was rad!

Anyways I haven’t been so logged in to music recently, but here’s what I’m enjoying right now:
Sufjan Stevens, Bryce Dessner, Nico Muhly, James McAlister - Planetarium

This is weird cause I like every song on the album individually, but as a whole it feels disjointed? Would be a kickass playlist though :stuck_out_tongue:

Tricot - 3

Been on a math rock binge lately and this is probably my most listened to album for like the last three months? The bass performances on this album in particular kick so much ass if you’re into that sort of thing.

Oh and while we’re at it, my fave off Rainbow:

Never heard of Tricot before but they are awesome!

3 was one of my most anticipated albums this year. Still doesn’t beat their debut album for me but still super fun and catchy.

I haven’t listened to any albums of there’s other than 3. I suppose I need to get on that!

EDIT: Okay, the guitar tones on so far on “T H E” are giving me life, holy shit!

EDIT EDIT: Alright, yeah, that was really good!

yeah, tricot’s middle two albums are the peak for me. i remember when i spent a solid couple of weeks learning how to play E on bass. the new album is good but its way poppier than i’m used to for them and i haven’t gotten into it as much as i expected? but i’m always happy for more tricot

I think what made it for me was its poppiness? It feels sort of mewish to me in taking a genre (art rock moreso in Mew’s case) and making it accessible while maintaining an edge. Hearing their previous work now makes me understand why someone wouldn’t be as into it though.

Listening to T H E and A N D is making me want to learn all these bass parts too… and the guitar parts… and I guess I could pick up drums… and learn Japanese.

I can’t really get into Tricot and it makes me sad :frowning: I like math rock but I’m very specific with it now, I accidentally exhausted myself by going to a math rock festival and came away feeling like it all sounds the same :disappointed_relieved:

Mount Eerie - A Crow Looked at Me
One of his greatest albums, but also a difficult listen because of the extreme heartbreak.

Broken Social Scene - Hug of Thunder
I’m always really excited about the return of BSS. Another super solid album that I think I would call a grower.

Julia Holter - In The Same Room
Not new music, but the best live performance you will hear this year.

Amber Coffman - City of No Reply
You might know her from Dirty Projectors. The sound is similar but with constantly good singing. Title track is a banger.

Laurel Halo - Dust
Bumpin at all times.

There are more, some has been mentioned in the thread before. I don’t listen to much stuff like SZA but that’s really great too. Slowdive also good.

#151 I can totally see that happening, it happened to me with djent. Though I don’t listen to djent at all anymore :stuck_out_tongue:

Also, everyone reading this: don’t make my mistake and try listening to the Mount Eerie album at work. It’s overwhelmingly sad. Really good, but painful.

The 2nd new Brockhampton album coming out next week is gonna be sick!

any other brand new fans? in true brand new fashion they leaked their own fucking album after not releasing one for 8 years, and also its really really fucking good.

God I can’t wait to listen but I know it’s going to devastate me and I really don’t want to ruin my mood today.

Fantastic cover art too.

I have been listening to this one a lot lately. I think The Sunshine has one of the most perfect grooves I have ever heard, every instrument perfect in its place. The only thing that distances me from it is that the whole thing feels like a concept album whose concept is a very long way from me, but those tunes are pretty amazing.

Propagandhi are releasing a new album in September. If you don’t know who they are, please be informed that they may be the only punk band left. Unlike all other punk bands, they have only gotten harder and better with age. Here is the eponymous song from their upcoming album, Victory Lap:

"When the flames engulfed the home of the brave, the stampede toward the border was in vain. Faces palmed, faces paled as the wall they said would make them great could not be scaled. When the free-market fundamentalist steps on a roadside bomb outside Kandahar bleeding to death, I swear to Ayn Rand I’ll ask if he needs an invisible hand.

"You say #notallcops. You say #notallmen. Yeah you insist #itsonly99%. There’s nothing new for you to learn. Ok, sit back, relax and watch it all burn. The colossal waste of energy: talent upon the talented, freedom upon the free. This whole damn beautiful life wasted on you and me.

"God are you there? It’s me, in the denim jacket. Are you receiving my prayers through the noise and cosmic static? God are you there? Can you confirm I’m on the right goddamn planet?!?

“The day the rapture came, a forgettable event. The clouds, they opened up and not a single person went. To the chromatic whistle of a carousel calliope stomp the citizens of our clown idiot dingbat society.”

Its like, a concept album weaved between the standard semi-autobiographical songs i think, like. the grocery/the wolf both are concepty vs the gold/the maze which are quite obviously about his wife/daughter (respectively) idk i love it

I am doing this weird thing where I must wait to listen until I can dedicate myself to it, and I think that’s going to be tonight, and I am beside myself with happiness.

a friend of mine recently introduced me to a shoegaze/noise idol group whose name is uh, ・・・・・・・・・. they’ve got an EP from this year that’s 3 superb shoegaze songs, and just released an album that’s one hour long track of 3 shoegaze songs (one from the EP) interspersed by like, field recordings, and then ends with like 50 minutes of noise. it’s pretty good, although when I heard the album would be one hour long song I was hoping for like a shoegaze version of Dopesmoker by Sleep.

anyway, here’s that EP!

that run of the alien/the sunshine/the grocery is just perfect