My First 24 Hours With 'Destiny 2: Shadowkeep' Largely Involved Not Playing

This should be a review. I should be telling you about how I lost it when I first saw [REDACTED]. Or how much the moon has changed since Destiny, with new areas and surprises meshing seamlessly with a map I had memorised long ago. I should be talking about how exciting it is to actually feel invested in the story of Destiny 2: Shadowkeep, given how lackluster the story missions from previous campaigns have been. I want to tell you all of this and more about Shadowkeep, launched yesterday and marked a historic shift towards independence for the franchise and Bungie as a studio, but I’m not, because it took me a long time to get there.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/evj58z/my-first-24-hours-with-destiny-2-shadowkeep-largely-involved-not-playing
1 Like

The bump in campaign difficulty is the biggest thing I noticed in my handful of hours playing last night. It’s a mostly welcome change, but there was one boss fight at the end of a normal mission that was a bit annoying in how much of a bullet sponge it was. Like moments of me just sitting behind a pillar and shooting its weak spot for 30-60 seconds until its health got low enough to proc a new wave of adds. Really enjoying it overall so far though, way more invested in the story than I expected.